Tribute to Sir Patrick Moore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Just to pay my respects to one of the most professional amateurs the world has ever seen.

50 years of continuous broadcasting a series that was only initially for 3 months - I refer of course to the BBC's Sky at Night, hosted by Sir Patrick. In all that time he only ever missed one programme when he was teken ill with food poisoning in 2004.

Moon maps that both the Russians and Americans used, scores of books to his credit, the infectious enthusiasm and, of course, the rapid-fire verbal delivery (up to 300 words per minute I believe) - all hallmarks of a man that will be greatly missed.

Posted Image

Photo Credit: Discover Magazine

R.I.P. Patrick

Brian

#2 TonyDralle

TonyDralle

Apollo

• Loc: Bethel Park, PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Two of his books, A Guide to the Moon (1953) and A Guide to the Planets (1954) , taught me a lot about amateur astronomy when I was a teenager, just getting started. Today, I subscribe to Sky at Night magazine, to which he was a regular and most informative contributor. (Was he the founder of the magazine?)

A remarkable man, indeed. He inspired me 50 years ago; he inspires me today.

- Tony

#3 TonyDralle

TonyDralle

Apollo

• Loc: Bethel Park, PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Bernard Lovell and Patrick Moore die within a few months of each other. It's been a bad year.

- Tony

#4 NorskeBob

NorskeBob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oswego, NY

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Patrick Moore, a British astronomer and broadcaster whose long-running BBC television show “The Sky at Night” was credited for popularizing astronomy among generations of Britons, died Dec. 9 in the coastal town of Selsey in Southern England. He was 89.

Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore was born March 4, 1923, in Pinner, England, and grew up in Sussex. Because of illness, he was educated at home by tutors and developed a precocious interest in astronomy.

He served in the Royal Air Force during World War II and became a freelance writer before joining the BBC in the late 1950s.

Mr. Moore, who received a knighthood in 2001, had recently celebrated the 55th anniversary of his program. He only missed one episode, because of an illness caused by food poisoning. He was known for his trademark monocle, his occasional xylophone performances and his frequently professed love of cats.

He will be missed.

#5 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

He was a flagship figure for amateur astronomy. He will now merge with stardust but he will also live as long as civilization exists, through his works and deeds.

#6 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Seeing Sir Patrick Moore`s health slowly getting worse on his show, The sky at Night, should have prepared me for this sad news, but strangely, when i heard of the news, it still took me aback, his passing really hit home when i think of how much his presence on TV, will be missed by so many astronomers both young and old.

Having watched a short tribute program on the BBC, i was amazed just how involved he was with the public in general, during an interview came a knock at his door at home in Selsey, 2 young children asked to see his telescopes, and being the open and friendly person he was in encouaging the young into this great hobby, he invited them in and took them out into his garden to show them his telescopes,along with chatting to the youngsters about astronomy.An amazing man and approachable person indeed.

I had my chance to meet him at the London Astrofest while he was book signing a few years ago, but the queues were long, and i decided to give it a miss, the following year due to ill health, he was no longer able to attend the Astrofest, so i now regret i never got to meet the great man in person.

RIP Sir Patrick.

Tom.

#7 Chris J

Chris J

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Dartmoor, Devon, England

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

It's difficult to convey the imact Sir Patrick has had in the UK and the world for astronomy, although it was obvious his health was suffering we all presumably felt he would be with us forever.

I am now fairly old myself and grew up with Patrick Moore's work (as youngsters we even phoned him about an astro event in the late 60's - long before ex directory).

I have several of his books, my copy of the Observers Book of Astronomy dates from 1967 when I was 11!

It has already been said that many professional and amateur astronomer have been inspired by Patrick Moore, but I wonder just how many...millions I think.

Thank you Sir Patrick.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics