• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orion64

Orion64

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Cape, South Africa

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hi Folks, I made a quick test exposure through RGB to test out my new telescope. I have some light ploution but rremoved most with the astrodon filters and hastalavista pluginn. Why does my color seem so off? It looks orange all over.

Attached Files

#2 Mark72

Mark72

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich, Germany

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

They should be like this I think in this cluster, there are also some blue ones.

Mark

#3 Rick J

Rick J

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Be sure you have the filters in the right spots in your filter wheel. I bought mine used and the previous owner used a non "standard" order which I didn't catch at first so what my software thought was blue was red and vise-versa. Made for a very weirdly colored galaxy. Look through the filter not just at it to see which color is which. They reflect the colors they don't pass so the red filter looks rather teal in color until you look through it.

Assuming the filters were in the correct positions for what the software expected:

Did you G2V balance your filters and sky conditions or just accept what the filters gave you? The latter rarely works. The E series from Astrodon is a better match to that camera than the I series but no where near perfect. Then too where an object is in the sky will alter color balance significantly with blue being lost as the object gets away from the zenith. Smoke, water vapor, dust and other factors will change the color balance as well.

Or if you have plate solve software use eXcalibrator for even better color balance -- especially when imaging in an area covered by the SDSS. NOMAD data is less reliable but usually better than G2V I've found.

Rick

#4 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

...and hastalavista pluginn.

Still looks a little green to me. You could also try the 'Whitecal' plugin from the same guy who wrote HLVG...

http://blog.deepskyc....com/tools.html

I ran HLVG again and Whitecal on your jpg...

Attached Files

#5 Orion64

Orion64

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Cape, South Africa

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Thanks guys. I will definitely have a look at these white star calibration tools tonight!
Mike: It does look better indeed, but the stars still have that orange look.
The globular BTW is NGC104 (47 Tucanae).
I got the folowing image on Google just to get a perspective on the colors of NGC104. The image shows a lot more blue and white stars.
http://www.planetary...0104_01&t=9&w=1

#6 dickbill

dickbill

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

RickJ gave you good indications. Check on his 'NGC40' how nice are his star's color.
Also, here you say you have a pollution filter. Well, recently i tried M13 with a DSIc (color ccd) and the orion Skyglow filter. I didn't process anything but if I had to do it, (after extracting the RGB from the CMY since it's a color chip) I would have assumed that I needed to boost the green channel (since the orion skyglow fliter removes lots of green, see: http://www.telescope...s/125-Orion-...
But to my greatest surprise, the picture of my DSIc+Skyglow came out completely green before any kind of processing.
http://www.cloudynig...Board=ccd&Nu...

Boosting the green for processing would have made it worse! How come it came out green when the filter already removes green? I don't know. The output was directly in jpeg, maybe that was the problem but anyways, now i have mixed feelings about skyglow filters and color ccd chips. Definitively i should not have used it here. It's probably only good for a luminance channel on a black and white ccd.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics