Jupiter December 9, 2012

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Did anyone else observe Jupiter last night? I finally had free time about mid-evening and I decided to take the Dob out. When I put Jupiter in my sights I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I quickly got my binoviewer in the Dob and began to observe one of the best and prettiest views I have ever had of Jupiter. There was Io in mid-transit shining like a bright white LED, with the shadow following closely behind. Toward the opposite limb the GRS was already coming well into view and I could see plenty of detail in the wake. The detail in the SEB, NEB and NTB was excellent. There was plenty of texture and differing areas of shading in the bands, as well as the NEB showing the protrusions toward the south. The Western limb showed a subtle shadowing, and the polar regions were also darker toward that limb. The view had an AP like quality to it.

I hope I wasn't the only one who observed this magnificent planet last night. I checked the sketching and AP forums but nothing yet. Hoping to read other reports and maybe see some sketches and pics.

Ed D

#2 JasonBurry

JasonBurry

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Spencer, NB, Canada

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

I didn't get a chance last night, but this fall has served up some of the best views of Jupiter I've ever seen. I've no skill for sketching, but I think it might well be futile to even attempt to sketch the level of detail the best nights have served up.

J

#3 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Glad you got all of that Ed. The king is certainly putting on a magnificent show this year. I've seen the best transit ever this year on another night. Io's disc and shadow tack sharp in October. Hope there's more to come.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Ed,

Im glad you had a terrific view. Weathers been lousy here in ct with spotty sun at day and clouds at night. And now lousy weather till thursday - a night im taking off to view jupiter.

Your description was great.

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Ed, I had a great view last night, too, but the other side of the planet. :)

#6 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I was planning to view this weekend but I was too tired and the seeing forecast was poor. I finally got out tonight. The seeing was steady for Reno. I spent about 2.5 hours tonight mostly on Jupiter, but also a bit on other bright winter targets such as M45 and M42.

I hadn't done an accurate polar alignment on my AP900 after using recently it at some rural sites for imaging. I started out with a guide camera on the TEC 140 and used Alignmaster to fine tune polar alignment. I use a refractor for Alignmaster to get drift align accuracy for imaging. I use the cross hairs in PHD and it is easy to see the reference star on the laptop screen when adjusting the AZ or ALT. My C11EdgeHD isn't as good for this purpose because of mirror flop between the pair of alignment stars.

I purchased a used TEC 140 in September but haven't had a lot of chances to use it on Jupiter. I was very glad I got out tonight before another weather system moves in mid week. I spent most of the time a 196 magnification with a Nag 5T6. The view was very steady. Several of the thiner bands towards the poles were easily observed. The air was a little cold so I was keeping alternating between a 5 and 7mm eyepieces. I would keep the other on a heating pad. Once my breath started to fog an eyepiece I would swap it out for the other.

Now that my mount is aligned again I will put my C11 EdgeHD back on the mount and give Jupiter another look with a bit more aperture. I will have to wait for another weather system to pass through before I get the change. Hopefully we get some steady clear air around Christmas and New Years extended weekends. Now I need to get motivated to get up about 4AM and spend a little quality time with Saturn.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics