Photo

PST autofocuser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 runrob

runrob

Lift Off

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

I would like to share with the group my experiences with an item I purchased through Cloudy Nights Classifieds (#70087) I've also attached a pic showing how I mounted it to my PST. Preliminary tests show this was money well spent to autofocus my PST on a budget. Looking forward to trying this for some solar imaging. Please note,I am only a purchaser of this accessory and not the seller.

Attached Files

#2 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Thanks that's a great idea I also have a JMI electric focuser and I'm gona do the same thing to mine . Thanks again for the pics.
Pete

#3 runrob

runrob

Lift Off

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

Hello Pete: I had an opportunity to try some limited Solar Imaging this afternoon under less than ideal conditions but the auto focuser shows good potential. Much better than trying to adjust the focus manually while trying to view my laptop screen. I was hoping to try my variable speed Orion Autofocus control but it did not respond. Keep us posted of your JMI focuser project.
Happy Holidaze. Bob R.

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

Bob,

From pictures, I think what you have is a manual (push-button) motorized focuser.
Still a good mod though!

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 runrob

runrob

Lift Off

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

I do stand corrected in my terminology. After all, it would be quite difficult to have autofocusing on a Solar Image as it's not really a pinpoint of light :)
Bob R.

#6 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Great idea... pretty neat setup!

Paul

#7 runrob

runrob

Lift Off

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Thank you Paul. I've just gotten started with the learning curve of solar system imaging and have a long way to go. I came to this realization after viewing your site and some of the other member's excellent image results. . . .but, I'm still havin' fun. Bob R.

#8 runrob

runrob

Lift Off

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

Attached is one of my Venus transit results taken with my PST/Orion SSCI IV setup.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics