CG-5 Hibernate question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

I tried to use Hibernate on my CG-5 for the first time a couple of nights ago. I thought I did everything right, even had the owner's manual out reading how to do it as I was in the process. It didn't work. When I restarted I got the regular setup/alignment routine.

Some caveats:

I was using NexRemote. Does Hibernate work with it? Will it work after closing NexRemote, disconnecting the cable from the computer/hand control and reconnecting a few days later?

I did a GOTO to Home Position BEFORE I went to Hibernate and didn't move the mount after choosing Hibernate. Do I HAVE to choose Hibernate first then slew to a location? (I prefer to end at Home Position.)

Thanks for any input!

#2 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

I was using NexRemote. Does Hibernate work with it?

Yes

Will it work after closing NexRemote, disconnecting the cable from the computer/hand control and reconnecting a few days later?

Yes and Yes.

I did a GOTO to Home Position BEFORE I went to Hibernate and didn't move the mount after choosing Hibernate.
Do I HAVE to choose Hibernate first then slew to a location? (I prefer to end at Home Position.)

Ok, and No. I do a Goto Home before Hibernate. That's what I normally do with my CG5 and CGE-Pro..

See Stan's answer below about the hibernate function.

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

The CG-5 does not have to remain plugged in to hibernate. When you choose hibernate you are asked to move the mount to a position. Any position. Then you need to press enter when positioned and you are asked to turn the power off. When you turn the power back on you are asked to press enter to retain the alignment or press undo to start a new alignment. You then need to enter the current time and date. The CG-5 retains the alignment data, but does not have an internal clock to keep the time and date. This is not retained, but your alignment is. The alignment data is retained whether the mount is plugged in or not.

I have hibernated my mounts and torn them down and put them in their cases and in the garage and them set them up days later and wake them from hibernate. Add the current date and time and you're ready to go again.

#4 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that's why I hibernated my mount in Sequioa, got home, UN-hibernated and it slewed off into la la land..

#5 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Been a little busy this week and haven't been able to get back here.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep experimenting.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics