G11 with Gemini II acting weird

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Found the cause for failure while installing the new motors indoors. It was the new gearbox that I had gotten just 2 months before the problem to replace one which had a rounded screw thread for the motor. it had seized up

#27 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hilmi,

What was the problem with the bad gearbox? I'm curious to know for future reference.

The gearboxes seem to be the Achilles heel of the G11. Otherwise an excellent mount, but I have had repeated problems with the gear boxes. Mostly my fault (bonking the RA motor and breaking the plastic pins on the gear box for example).

Are the new high-torque motors any longer than the stock motors? I am thinking of upgrading, but am leery of making the RA motor project out even further and increase the chance of me hitting it again...

I'm very interested in hearing how this works out for you.

#28 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Land Downunder

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Jeez Hilmi...you're having a bad run of late...were you hexed by a gypsy or somethin?

#29 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

cup half full
I got a free upgrade.
Gear box had seized somehow

Edit: In response to the motor length, since I don't have them side by side, I cant compare the size. Visually when not next to each other they look about the same size. Somebody did a comparison online on the Gemini II yahoo group and it was mentioned that they are slightly longer, can't recall how much longer.

They are also louder while slewing, but I never did find this a big deal, because unless you are sitting very close to your sleeping neighbor, it shouldn't make a difference.

#30 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

So, do you need to replace your gearboxes now?

Chris

#31 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

Nope. I had a spare I'll find out tonight if the clouds clear up. It is abnormally cloudy, that's a good sign, it indicates that something good related to astronomy equipment just happened.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics