• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 undefinedcolton

undefinedcolton

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, indiana.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

:help: :help: :help:i've posted on here a few times in the past few days and those were regarding other topics, but currently i am having a lot of trouble aliging and setting up my Celestron C6-SGT advanced for use. i've read the instruction booklet and it's not really making any sense to me. can you guys give me like step by step instructions, please?!

#2 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

I think your Latitude is 40 N?

Set up your Tripod with the Alignment peg pointed towards Polaris roughly.

Place the Mount head over the Alignment Peg carefully by loosening the two knobs manually. Then do as follows:-

1. Loosen both the clutches and take a peek through the borehole to see if you can spot Polaris. If you see it, center it.

2. Place your C6 on the Mount, tighten both screws. Point the Scope at a star and align it with the 6 x 30 finderscope.

3. Bring the mount head to match the axis arrows. Tighten the clutches and the knobs. Make sure everything is tight.

4. Enter date, time, latitude, longitude, standard, zone etc., Press 'Enter'.

5. The handcontroller will tell you to align two stars. Press Enter and the scope will slew to a bright star. The first and even the second star may not be directly within the center of your finderscope. This is normal. Use your H/C to center the star, press 'Enter'. Look through your eyepiece and center the star and press 'Align'.

6. You will be prompted to press 'Enter' for the second alignment star. The scope will slew to the next brightest star and you repeat steps as in 5.

7. The H/C will then prompt you to use 'Calibration stars'. For visual, I recommend you calibrate using four stars. This will not only give you very good accuracy and goTo's but also allow time for your SCT to cool down.

8. Press 'Enter' calibration stars. The Scope will slew in the oppposite direction and will again pick a bright star. Follow routine as in step 5. You have calibrated your 'first calibration star'. Onto second...

9. Press 'Enter' and the scope will slew to the second calibration star. By this time, you need not even look through the finderscope as the second calibration star will in almost 99% be within the FoV of your Eyepiece itself. Use directional buttons to center and hit Enter / Align.

10. Repeat for third and fourth calibration stars steps as above and you are done.

Now use the sky tour or named objects or enter Messier or NGC number and your 25mm Plossl will show that object bang in the middle.

In all this, ensure you have a proper supply of power and not touch or move your tripod / mount.

There is one other step known as Polar Alignment which is not necessary for visuals.

#3 Stargaz18

Stargaz18

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wichita Falls, TX

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

One thing that I just recently found to be very helpful doing my alignment is an illuminated recticle eyepiece. Which will help you center each alignment star in your C6. I used mine for the first time 2 weeks ago and was amazed at how much more dead on the "go to" function was!

#4 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

I agree the illuminated reticle eyepiece works great.

#5 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

An illuminated reticle eyepiece does indeed work great, but for free and without waiting for the Brown Truck, the OP should just defocus the alignment star in the scope. Making it "bigger" makes it a lot easier to see if it's centered.

#6 undefinedcolton

undefinedcolton

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, indiana.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

could you guys give me a link to an eyepiece with an illimuniated reticle that you guys would prefer?

#7 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Between defocus and using a high mag eyepiece, is this really necessary? I've been struggling with my eq alignments too so Certainly have no idea , just wondering..

#8 RonUwood

RonUwood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina, western Piedmont

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

I used an illuminated reticle ep for aligning my 8SE exactly twice, then put it away permanently. I found it unnecessary and just one extra thing to carry around. The 25 mm ep supplied with the scope, defocused, is all I ever use to align and my go-to's are always spot on target. I guess I am lucky in that I have never had any trouble with alignment, go-to's or tracking. Others may find the illuminated reticle helpful.

Ron

#9 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Necessary, no. I get great go-tos with my CG5 without it. I was just pointing out that there's a free alternative to an illuminated reticle eyepiece for those who are anal about alignment.

#10 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

could you guys give me a link to an eyepiece with an illimuniated reticle that you guys would prefer?

Here is a link to the one I have. link

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics