fastar secondary is stuck...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

From what I have read - the secondary should just pull right out after unscrewing the ring - mine wont budge. Tried wiggling it, pulling up/down... nothing...

Maybe its due to cold and thermal contraction? I'm heating upthe screw-ring a bit and will try putting it back on to transfer some heat to the threads and *hopefully* expand the assembly a tiny bit so I can remove it.

Any other ideas?

#2 Speedawg

Speedawg

Vostok 1

• Loc: Coeur d Alene Id

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I would give Starizona a call

#3 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Going to call tomorrow..

I tried everything... Its like its welded in there...

Well - maybe the fastar isnt in the cards..

#4 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

After sleeping on it a while...

Still going to call starizona but..

I may just bring the scope in and see if warming up helps - if not - I may remove the corrector and go at it from the other side a bit.. It will give me a chance to clean things up a bit while I'm in there.

#5 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have had trouble getting mine back in sometimes. The tolerance is tight so that alignment before pushing is critical and I still get a little rub on the way in and tight spots. I haven't had trouble getting mine out but I haven't tried in cold weather. I bet that is all it is. I don't think it could otherwise somehow get 'stuck'.

Rob

#6 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I just spoke with Dean and thats what he said as well... I'll bring it in when I get home and let it warm up and give it a shot...

Once I get it out I'm going to make sure its nice and clean and smooth in there..

#7 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

I think you are posting on the CPC Yahoo! Group as well? Check there, I left you another message on something to try. Basically, try pushing the secondary IN first, then try to pull it out. It may not have been fully seated from the get go and if at a slight angle, it's not going to 'pull' out.

Rob

#8 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

I have had trouble getting mine back in sometimes. The tolerance is tight so that alignment before pushing is critical and I still get a little rub on the way in and tight spots. I haven't had trouble getting mine out but I haven't tried in cold weather. I bet that is all it is. I don't think it could otherwise somehow get 'stuck'.

Rob

My secondary comes out easily enough but the Fastar didn't want to go in.Scope was in cool garage,Fastar was in box in house. Will try keeping them in same place and see what happens.

#9 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yup - covering all my bases.. :)

#10 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Got it sorted out.

Looks like the secondary housing was dropped prior to final assembly - and the housing was a bit out of round. I found a small *dink* on the corner.

So - I had to remove the corrector, remove the secondary mirror via the collimation screws.

Then, I pushed out the fastar secondary.

To fix the issue I sanded the affected area, *a lot*... it took about an hour of sanding and test fitting to get the fit right. But now its nice and snug and goes in with just a wiggle and doesnt have any play.

Re-assembled the entire deal and collimated fine.

MAJOR KUDOS TO DEAN AT STARIZONA!!!!

Dean talked me through the whole process over several phone calls. He went above and beyond and is one heck of a nice guy to boot. He genuinely cares about his customers.

Thank you Dean!!!

And so, Here are some sample shots from tonight. Hyperstar 3 first tests. No flats or darks. 5 X 10 second exposures at ISO 3200 and F2.

Pleiades:
Posted Image

M31:
Posted Image

Pinwheel:
Posted Image

My processing needs work... but I'm shocked at what I could get with my extremely limited experience and NO dark or flat frames...

#11 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

I'm impressed.

#12 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks!

Here is a pic of teh inside of the housing - the dark area in the middle is the depression where the cap was rubbing - even after about 30 minutes of sanding. You can also see some dings in the lip - some are my doing as well from trying to remove the cap.. but there was one deep ding there to start with.

Attached Files

#13 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

And this is how much I had to sand the cap sides to get a good fit - probably a couple thousandths...

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics