•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

what can I expect using an etx 90 and a Canon T3i

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BillBrowning

BillBrowning

Vendor - Astrosightsaver

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York NY

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

I don't get a chance to get to dark skies or use my C8 much anymore but I have n etx 90 I cb pull out easily enough. Was wondering if I could get decent results its it and a T3i on Jupiter using the cameras movie mode. Thanks
Bill

#2 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Not sure about this setup ...

#3 ToxMan

ToxMan

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi Bill,

I thought someone else would chime in. But, I see you haven't had much response.

You could use ETX 90. But, in movie mode, the planet will be quite small, even if you use a barlow. Since dark skies are not a must (I image from my backyard and light polluted skies) for planetary imaging, you might be better off using your C8 with a 2x barlow. There are adapters to get it at prime focus. Also, with alt-az mounts, you will get some field rotation as you track and shoot the planet. Keep videos short, maybe 2 minutes. And, that won't be a problem. Use the movie mode that gives you a format recognized by one of the stacking programs, ie Registax.

Let us know if you have some other questions.

Paul

#4 BillBrowning

BillBrowning

Vendor - Astrosightsaver

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Paul,
thanks for the response! I was thinking of trying the setup just because its more portable nd easier to setup for a quick session. Ive done imaging with the C8 and. Webcam in the past I'm just not familiar with the resolution I could get with the movie mode on this camera.

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

On my DSLR camera, Bill, I selected 640 x 480 mode and it created avi files. A 30 second video took about 18Mb file. Your Canon probably has similar selections...just make sure Registax can recognize the video file. I don't know how large your image will be. But, on my 90mm mak-cass with no barlow (I might have added an 1" extension tube instead,) in 640 x 480 mode, Jupiter covered about 1/5th the width or about 130 of the 640. Seeing was dreadful, when I tried. So, the result was poor. I prefer using my other cameras.

#6 BillBrowning

BillBrowning

Vendor - Astrosightsaver

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Tox, i
I'll look into the what mode the camera records in before I use it in movie mode.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics