• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BillBrowning

BillBrowning

Vendor - Astrosightsaver

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York NY

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

I don't get a chance to get to dark skies or use my C8 much anymore but I have n etx 90 I cb pull out easily enough. Was wondering if I could get decent results its it and a T3i on Jupiter using the cameras movie mode. Thanks
Bill

#2 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Not sure about this setup ...

#3 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi Bill,

I thought someone else would chime in. But, I see you haven't had much response.

You could use ETX 90. But, in movie mode, the planet will be quite small, even if you use a barlow. Since dark skies are not a must (I image from my backyard and light polluted skies) for planetary imaging, you might be better off using your C8 with a 2x barlow. There are adapters to get it at prime focus. Also, with alt-az mounts, you will get some field rotation as you track and shoot the planet. Keep videos short, maybe 2 minutes. And, that won't be a problem. Use the movie mode that gives you a format recognized by one of the stacking programs, ie Registax.

Let us know if you have some other questions.

Paul

#4 BillBrowning

BillBrowning

Vendor - Astrosightsaver

• Vendors

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Paul,
thanks for the response! I was thinking of trying the setup just because its more portable nd easier to setup for a quick session. Ive done imaging with the C8 and. Webcam in the past I'm just not familiar with the resolution I could get with the movie mode on this camera.

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

On my DSLR camera, Bill, I selected 640 x 480 mode and it created avi files. A 30 second video took about 18Mb file. Your Canon probably has similar selections...just make sure Registax can recognize the video file. I don't know how large your image will be. But, on my 90mm mak-cass with no barlow (I might have added an 1" extension tube instead,) in 640 x 480 mode, Jupiter covered about 1/5th the width or about 130 of the 640. Seeing was dreadful, when I tried. So, the result was poor. I prefer using my other cameras.

#6 BillBrowning

BillBrowning

Vendor - Astrosightsaver

• Vendors

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Tox, i
I'll look into the what mode the camera records in before I use it in movie mode.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics