• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

I ran across this a few days ago as it was just starting. It is a project open to all, experienced or not.
Andromeda Project

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Perhaps a brief descriprion for those of us using phones or with otherwise slow connections (I tried loading the page but my 3G struggled mightily, and I gave up.)

#3 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Copy / pasted from the web site:

Welcome to the Andromeda Project!

We’re very excited you’ve taken the time to visit the new Andromeda Project site! With your help, we’re going to identify the largest sample of star clusters known in any spiral galaxy, including our own Milky Way. We will use the clusters you find to study the history of Andromeda and to better understand how stars form.
The beautiful images you will be looking at come from the Hubble Space Telescope. Since 2010, Hubble has spent nearly two months of time looking at Andromeda as part of the Panchromatic Hubble Andromeda Treasury (PHAT) survey. For the Andromeda Project, we’ve broken these pictures up into more than 9,000 separate images; there are more than 3 billion pixels that we need you to help us examine!

#4 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Thanks! That sounds interesting, indeed.

#5 Jason H.

Jason H.

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Perhaps a brief descriprion for those of us using phones or with otherwise slow connections (I tried loading the page but my 3G struggled mightily, and I gave up.)

Hi Glenn, I hope the attached screen capture of a tiny section of one small image from the M31 project loads to your device, as I'm hoping you can see the individually resolved stars and the density they've achieved at this distance, it's stunning.

Regards, Jason W. Higley

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics