Photo

CElestron CG-5 GT Problem (suggestions?)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tomnjulie

tomnjulie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Took our new cg5 out for the second time tonight. First time worked perfect. Tonight i have no control of declimation via the hand controller. I dont think we inadvertently changed any settings. Mount motors to ra but does nothing for declination. Any troubleshooting ideas out there?

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Will it slew in Dec and RA when you give it a command to goto an object? If not, the first thing I'd do is make sure that everything is connected properly. Sounds silly, but I've seen it happen. Also check for a stuck button on the hand controller. Oh yea...are you getting any error messages?

If all else fails, reset the mount to the default settings and input your information. Many times, this "reboot" repairs the problem.

#3 tomnjulie

tomnjulie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Did factory settings. Connections good. Get ra with the left/right buttons. Nothing in dec with up/down. No error messages.

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Tom,

Make sure the DEC cable is fully plugged in at both ends. Look into the sockets and make sure the fine wire contacts are aligned properly both vertically and horizontally. There has been some failure of the crimps on the RJ connectors of the cable. If you have access to the crimping tool you should re-crimp or replace the connectors. There could also be a connection problem inside the lower motor cover between the MC board and the power board. Another place for bad connection is inside the upper motor cover between the DEC board and the motor. You could also have a bad motor or MC board. Try swapping the connectors between the RA and DEC motors on the MC board.

Stan

#5 tomnjulie

tomnjulie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Looks like an intermittent wire to dec motor or recptacle on motor. Connections look good but miraculously came back to life.

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

What did you do to make things start working again? You may have disturbed something while trying to find the problem. Try to figure out what it was. Do a "Wiggle" test and see if you can find the intermittent connection problem. With the mount slewing in DEC wiggle the DEC cable at both ends. Try flexing the DEC motor cover and the lower cover as well. The Motors are hard wired. There is no connector on the motor except for the encoder. There have been reports of a motor wire chaffing on the motor housing and causing problems.

Stan

#7 tomnjulie

tomnjulie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

I did thenwiggle fix. May be the connector wire. May just get another one coming. Worked flawlessly afterwards. Thanks for your help.

#8 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Make sure the declination cable is installed.

- Jim

#9 PWP

PWP

Explorer 1

• Loc: Lake Saint Louis, Missouri

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Mine did the same thing after I wheeled it to the front of the house to capture the Venus transit back in June 12. Had to take the plastic casing off the head to wiggle the connections on the controller board. It then came back to life. I was so relieved as you can imagine. I normally wheel it gently out the garage (in the back of house) and rarely around front for a low western sky but I just got home and was trying to beat the sunset. Wish my wheels were softer rubber to absorb the slight jolts that driveway expansion joints can give a scope. I am normally very careful for collimation concerns. Needless to say...I take my time now regardless of the event.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics