• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I like globular clusters and galaxy's. I like finding that faint fuzzy. Even though, I still like going through the Messier 110 list also.

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

The longer in the hobby the more I like to push the limits of the scope I'm using and to really see what the scope and my eyes can reveal. In terms of objects, galaxies, nebula, planetary nebula are probably my favorite, though I won't rule anything out. Right now I can't buy a clear new moon period.

#3 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hard to ID a specific favorite, but I am especially drawn to double stars. Also the occasional visible supernova.

#4 tigerroach

tigerroach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I really like multi-galaxy fields. All of them, from easy ones like the three in Leo and M81/M82, to fainter ones like the Fornax Cluster and Stephen's Quintet.

Somehow seeing more than one galaxy in the same field really makes it easy for me to visualize the scope of what I'm looking at, the awesome sizes and distances involved.

#5 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I love them all, but I have a special soft spot for open clusters. Part of the reason, I think, is that I started off with small scopes, and open clusters are often the best targets for such instruments. Also, open clusters are overwhelmingly varied.

All categories of DSOs are hugely varied, but for me globular clusters are at the opposite extreme; there's a certain sameness to all of them. Almost as though they can be described by a half dozen numbers: size, brightness, degree of concentration, number of stars resolved, and so on.

Planetary nebulas are also wildly varied, but they tend to demand more in terms of equipment and sky conditions than open clusters do.

#6 Pharquart

Pharquart

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southwest Minneapolis Metro

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I guess that's why they put the different objects in the sky. Everyone's tastes are different. Double stars hold very little allure for me, and while I'd like to do more planetary stuff, I don't have the seeing for it, nor the budget for the nice big APO that would provide the great views. I also don't have the dark enough skies (or time to drive to darker sites) for most nebulae, though I would like to do more there.

I agree with Tony that globulars are all pretty similar, but oddly enough, I like them better than most other objects. I think it's the quantity of stars in each that helps me remember my tiny spot in the universe. Galaxies do the same for me.

Brian

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

My favorites change all the time. Current favorite is the Moon, I can actually see details and I'm using Charles Woods book "The Modern Moon" to point out and explain details. Current second place is Jupiter. Likely next favorites are Saturn and Mars when they are in the right time and place. Previously top of the list where large Galaxies (M55, 101, 82, 81 etc.) when I could get them in the Mallincam for some great views. Nebulas & Mallincam same thing. I'm easy.

Al

#8 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Current favorite is the Moon, I can actually see details and I'm using Charles Woods book "The Modern Moon" to point out and explain details.

A lot of the more seasoned observers overlook the moon. The moon is truly fantastic. The first time I saw a rille with its edge perfectly highlighted by shadow, it was amazing!

As for my favorite object type... it's hard to say. It used to be open clusters, but galaxies have been an increasing fascination of late.

#9 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Deep sky for me. The fainter the fuzzy, the more I'm intrigued. Sure I like the brighter ones also, especially ones I haven't seen before, ones that surprise me. I've seen all the tourist objects hundreds if not thousands of times. I never quite get tired of seeing them, quite...

As for the planets, Uranus is my all time favorite. Green, on it's side, mysterious.

As for the moon, most of the time it's that annoying bright rock that gets in the way. It's that "outreach" object I show more often than not. However, once in a while, even it surprises me with some feature I either haven't seen before or in a long time. If it's the only thing up there, it's better than nothing but I'd rather be looking at something else. Sorry, moon lovers!

Individual stars or doubles or asterisms aren't really my thing except the occasional carbon star or something such as the Virgo Diamond.

#10 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Up to this point in my observing 'career'--open clusters. I love 'em. Quite rewarding for my size scopes and the quality of skies I usually observe in. Nebulas, second, even though I usually stick to the showpieces and third, double stars. I have only recently started getting into those. This spring I hope to go for some galaxies, just haven't seen enough to put 'em up there.

#11 galexand

galexand

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

My viewing is entirely dictated by logistics. I can't seem to get skies still enough for more than 75x, or dark enough for galaxies or diffuse nebulae, or unobstructed enough for anything but a little slice of the eastern sky.

So this season, my favorite objects are open clusters and doubles. *sigh* The mess around Mirphak in Perseus is actually one of my favorites (I think it's comparable to Hyades), though it requires binoculars to really get a wide enough view. M35 is probably my favorite little open cluster for the last month or so.

But overall, I'm looking forward to some nice still days in summer when I can get back into globulars (like around Sagittarius)! There is nothing like going from 30x "that's a fuzzy alright" to 150x "I can see stars!!" It's like splitting a hundred doubles at once.

And I think M57 (ring nebula) may still be my favorite object of all time, because it is just so precisely and obviously a neat little ring (also my first DSO). But my lust for nebulas has been somewhat dampened by the dramatic oversupply of M42 this season. :)

#12 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

I can't pick a favorite 'group' of objects :shrug: As with my children, I love'm all. But you didn't ask that so as far as objccts 'within' that group, I would never be able to make up my mind on that either :question:

#13 SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter

Explorer 1

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Favorite object? Easy question. Galaxies. Why?

Every time I look at a galaxy I'm confident that someone's looking back at me.

#14 Danzup77

Danzup77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Quickly becoming asteroids and comets! Love the hunt week after week.

#15 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Wow, some really good answers. There is so much to view.

#16 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germantown, MD

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Pretty much the moon. Always loved it, and now that I've started doing some of the observing programs I'm starting to learn my way around. Orion is an old friend, as is Jupiter. Don't have the patience or the cold tolerance to do the fuzzies. Usually don't have the time as well.

#17 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Really good comets with visible structure and a changes from night to night. Hyakutake, Hale-Bopp, Holmes.

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

All categories of DSOs are hugely varied, but for me globular clusters are at the opposite extreme; there's a certain sameness to all of them. Almost as though they can be described by a half dozen numbers: size, brightness, degree of concentration, number of stars resolved, and so on.

There are certainly many globulars that seem to be stamped with the same cookie cutter but there are some with real personalities. M30 is definitely unique, M10 and M12 have personality, M4...

Myself, I like anything and everything. In enjoy viewing the planets, make my round of double stars most every night. I like all sorts of DSOs, big, small, faint, bright... I enjoy just looking at star fields.

Jon

#19 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

Post deleted by csa/montana

#20 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

do the local police know :question:

(Quote removed by moderator)

#21 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

there are so many favorites, but
#1-M45 -- just a friend over my shoulder naked eye, diamonds on black velvet in binouclars
#2 Omega Centauri -- all those stars

edj

#22 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

1) Planets, 2) the Moon, 3) globulars, 4) double stars, 5) open clusters, 6) galaxies.

#23 FeynmanFan

FeynmanFan

Viking 1

• Loc: N Colo front range

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

The Moon and planets, double stars, and brighter DSOs. I used to enjoy chasing faint fuzzies, but the LP around here doesn't really allow that anymore. When younger, I could get out from under the encroaching lights by heading east into the grasslands, or west into the mountains, but my creaky knees and back pretty much keep me in my backyard these days.

For most of this past year, I've been observing the undersides of clouds. :(

#24 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

The Veil, M13, M42 among others. My favorite challenge object is Stephan's Quintet. I made a trip to my dark sky site tonight to observe it for the 8th consecutive month. Just barely caught a glimpse of it through the thin clouds that moved in. Will try to get back up there in January if the road is still passable.
Barry

#25 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Even though the night wasn't very good tonight as far as seeing goes, I spent some time with M45, M34, Jupiter, the ET cluster, M38, M36, M37 and had to end at M35 as the fog was rolling in. Sometimes you take what you get. Clear skies...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics