Attaching .rar and .sp files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave O

Dave O

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sri Lanka

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

I was attempting to attach a WinSpot file (.sp extension) to a post and was told that it was not allowed. I then tried to archive the file with an .rar extension, but only .zip files seem to be allowed.

Can the list of 'authorized' extensions be expanded to include .sp and .rar files as attachments?

Thanks. Dave O

#2 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Aurora

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Dave,
Until this extension are allowed, a work around is to rename as a TXT file and then instruct the reader to rename them with the SP or RAR extensions after they download them.

- Dave

#3 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

[SoapBox]
I don't understand why people use .rar as the world's most common desktop operating system supports .zip natively and .rar requires people who only have access to that OS (Windows) to download and install some possibly tojan infected application from the web in order to open the file. (Luckily I also use linux which can natively deal with .rar, but most people don't have this option.)

Can someone please tell me what .rar offers that .zip doesn't (other than perhaps slightly better compression ratio)? Is their some advantage to .rar that more than offsets the ubiquitous ability to deal with .zip files?
[/SoapBox]

#4 Dave O

Dave O

Ranger 4

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Can someone please tell me what .rar offers that .zip doesn't (other than perhaps slightly better compression ratio)?

Isn't that enough?

I don't have access to a super fast connection -- simply not available where I live, so any improvement in download time is a pretty big deal to me. Granted, for a small file it really makes little difference; but for large files, the time savings can be significant.

In this particular case, I'd prefer to just attach the .sp file and be done with it. I'd considered using the .txt method as Dave G had suggested; but one of my 'checks' is that I ask myself: "Could my mother do this?" Unfortunately I don't think she would have a clue as to how to change the extension ... so, I opted to ask for a change to the approved extensions list rather than subject a lot of folks to a lot of angst ... just me, I suppose. Cheers.

#5 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

... one of my 'checks' is that I ask myself: "Could my mother do this?"

I clearly don't know your mother but I think it is safe to say your mother has a better chance of knowing how to rename a file than she does finding, installing, and using software to deal with a .rar file without getting a virus on her computer. Just sayin...

#6 Dave O

Dave O

Ranger 4

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

... one of my 'checks' is that I ask myself: "Could my mother do this?"

I clearly don't know your mother ...

No, you don't ...

... but I think it is safe to say your mother has a better chance of knowing how to rename a file than she does finding, installing, and using software to deal with a .rar file without getting a virus on her computer. Just sayin...

... so, why would you think this???

My mother does just fine with .rar files, double click and off to the races; just like everything else she does on a computer ...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics