• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Scout92

Scout92

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hoquiam, WA.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Well I got in my first first light tonight, with my 4.5 newt, not sure what I was looking at just pointed the scope at Orion for a bit and then to a star (?) above and to the right a bit of Orion (only constillation other than the dippers I can clearly identify for now :o) it was very bright and looked to have three trailing stars. I think it was Aldebaran fromnlooking at the sky wheel but not sure about the trailing stars. Either way I am officially hooked! I need to learn how to work the EQ mount that's for sure but it willnbe fun doing so! Sad that I waited so long to get started but I'm here now! Clears skies everyone!

#2 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Congratulations! Like you, I am still learning my way around the sky, and nothing is particularly obvious to me yet. A good target in Orion is the Great Nebula at the bottom of his sword: it's bright and easy to find, and it gave me a real feeling of accomplishment (and awe) when I was able to find it in my binoculars.

-- Chris

#3 Scout92

Scout92

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

I tried to find that nebula however we we had a low ground fog so all I see was up high. Hoping for some more clear weather in the coming week.

#4 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gelatinous, MA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Congrats!

That was probably Jupiter you were looking at. And the trailing stars were moons.

#5 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

The (free) Stellarium software is really helpful in planning an observing session: you can look at what's going to be visible from your location at any given time, and you can practice "star hopping" to find your way around. Unfortunately, it doesn't print star charts -- for that, you need something else like Starry Night or TheSkyX.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can take an electronic star chart with you. There are numerous options, but the two I use are Hidden Sky (actually a "virtual reality" app which lets you point your iPhone at the sky and figure out what you're looking at -- it's like magic!) and Sky Safari (like a portable Stellarium).

-- Chris

#6 jfaust75

jfaust75

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

aldebaron is a red star (yuoud know if you were looking at it)so id assume it was Jupiter which is in that area right now near aldebaron(it has four visible moons that orbit it)

#7 cjohnson21

cjohnson21

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Puyallup, WA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

I too am a fellow Washingtonian. Damn clouds have been around forever! At least you got some viewing in recently. I went out last night to see if I could see any of the meteors starting and nope, all clouds. Congrats to first light! It's pretty amazing. Keep looking up and clear skies!

#8 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Great first light. It is easy to get hooked isn't it. We have had clouds and rain here for over a week. No matter as I didn't have much time for viewing.
Look forward to hearing more of viewing. And yeah that was Jupiter with the four moons. Right now besides the moon it's the only thing shining through the clouds.

#9 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Cartes du Ciel is another great star chart program that's free.
You can print star charts w/this one.

#10 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

Congrats!

That was probably Jupiter you were looking at. And the trailing stars were moons.

Maybe you were looking at Aldebaran . I was thinking if he saw Jupiter its obvious at pretty much any magnification that its not a star.. But.. It does fit he description used.. Anyhow have fun!! I was checking out Orion Nebula through some misty sky last night and it was still pretty decent!! See if you can lookup on a star chart how to find that one before or during your next night out, it's worth the effort. :grin:

#11 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Chris...I just looked at the website for the Hidden Sky and looks pretty cool!

bob

#12 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights and have fun with your new scope. Lot's to see right now!

bob

#13 jfaust75

jfaust75

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Well I got in my first first light tonight, with my 4.5 newt, not sure what I was looking at just pointed the scope at Orion for a bit and then to a star (?) above and to the right a bit of Orion (only constillation other than the dippers I can clearly identify for now :o) it was very bright and looked to have three trailing stars. I think it was Aldebaran fromnlooking at the sky wheel but not sure about the trailing stars. Either way I am
officially hooked! I need to learn how to work the EQ mount that's for sure but it willnbe fun doing so! Sad that I waited so long to get started but I'm here now! Clears skies everyone!

If you wanto just "point and shoot" rather than align the eq mount you can tilt the alt up to 90 degrees and use it on its side as an alt/Az mount instead.i did that when I first started out and it helped me out alot

#14 Scout92

Scout92

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Congrats!

I thought it might be Jupiter after reading and seeing some of the other posts, however all of there discriptions had the moons above the planet while what I saw was below (inverted image?). If it was Jupiter I may be disappointed in this scope because it did not have any color to it and I would have seen some right? Granted I do not really know how to use the scope, eyepieces, or barlow properly yet and the eyepieces are not the best so that may be it. Just have to keep practicing.

#15 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Chris...I just looked at the website for the Hidden Sky and looks pretty cool!

bob

It works, too! I find it perfect for a newbie like me -- it helps me answer the "what the heck is that?" question I often have when looking up. :)

(It also comes in very handy in answering the same question from my kids.) :cool:

-- Chris

#16 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I saw Jupiter and the Pleiades through a 60mm refractor about 3 months ago. I saw no detail in Jupiter, just three of the moons.I didn't know it was Jupiter and the Pleiades I had seen until I googled when I went in. I didn't even know or had forgotten that Jupiter had moons. Anyway, that night hooked me.

If indeed it was Jupiter you were looking at, don't be disappointed. It may have been seeing conditions that didn't allow for great detail.

#17 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

no worries its all fun. you are describing it as seen through the scope or naked eye? if seen through the scope you would know its a planet id think.. through pretty much any eyepiece..

in this image the bright "star on left next to trees is jupiter.. the right pointing triangle of stars to the right of it is part of the constellation "Taurus", the bottom star of that "triangle" or "arrow" (as i think of it) is Aldebaran

anything look familiar?

jupiter above orion left of taurus

Congrats!

I thought it might be Jupiter after reading and seeing some of the other posts, however all of there discriptions had the moons above the planet while what I saw was below (inverted image?). If it was Jupiter I may be disappointed in this scope because it did not have any color to it and I would have seen some right? Granted I do not really know how to use the scope, eyepieces, or barlow properly yet and the eyepieces are not the best so that may be it. Just have to keep practicing.

#18 Scout92

Scout92

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

The (free) Stellarium software is really helpful in planning an observing session: you can look at what's going to be visible from your location at any given time, and you can practice "star hopping" to find your way around. Unfortunately, it doesn't print star charts -- for that, you need something else like Starry Night or TheSkyX.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can take an electronic star chart with you. There are numerous options, but the two I use are Hidden Sky (actually a "virtual reality" app which lets you point your iPhone at the sky and figure out what you're looking at -- it's like magic!) and Sky Safari (like a portable Stellarium).

-- Chris

Thanks for the tip! I hinted to the wife about the starrynight program for Christmas. So well see! ;)

#19 Scout92

Scout92

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

no worries its all fun. you are describing it as seen through the scope or naked eye? if seen through the scope you would know its a planet id think.. through pretty much any eyepiece..

in this image the bright "star on left next to trees is jupiter.. the right pointing triangle of stars to the right of it is part of the constellation "Taurus", the bottom star of that "triangle" or "arrow" (as i think of it) is Aldebaran

anything look familiar?

jupiter above orion left of taurus

Congrats!

Well I guess it was Jupiter then! Because that is the bright object I went to though your view looks different than mine. Not sure why I didn't get any detail...light pollution? I had several porch lights and street lights to contend with.

#20 Scout92

Scout92

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

I saw Jupiter and the Pleiades through a 60mm refractor about 3 months ago. I saw no detail in Jupiter, just three of the moons.I didn't know it was Jupiter and the Pleiades I had seen until I googled when I went in. I didn't even know or had forgotten that Jupiter had moons. Anyway, that night hooked me.

If indeed it was Jupiter you were looking at, don't be disappointed. It may have been seeing conditions that didn't allow for great detail.

Dave, that's the same thing I saw no detail and only three moons but just as with you that's all it took :D

#21 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Scout92, that's a couple months back maybe so position of Jupiter has changed a bit amongst those.. Try higher magnification (smaller MM eyepiece). You should see its a sphere surrounded by 4 "stars" (moons, all of which may not be visible , depending). You should see pale white/tan streaks.. Light pollution shouldn't affect this kind of thing that much but atmosphere much more so. You will see it clearer the closer it is to overhead. If you can see it as a disc/planet at higher magnification and its fuzzy, try less magnification until its sharper (although not as big). It's sharpness can vary all the time with so many factors.. Have fun!

#22 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Not sure why I didn't get any detail...light pollution? I had several porch lights and street lights to contend with.

No, if anything light pollution makes Jupiter look better, not worse.

Probably several factors. As you're describing it, with the line of the moons tilted, you must have been observing Jupiter while it was still quite low in the sky. That degrades the image greatly.

Second, your magnification may have been too low. Jupiter's main belts are usually apparent to the experienced eye at pretty low magnifications. But to get significant detail you really need 100X or higher.

Finally, inexperience. Jupiter is subtle. It is indeed colored, but the colors are delicate pastels, ever so slightly off-white. The main belts are only a little darker than the rest of the sphere -- and they're the most prominent features.

Don't despair; a 4.5-inch reflector can deliver great views of Jupiter when the seeing is right.

#23 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

That's the first I've ever heard of light pollution being good for anything. But, I'll take your word for it, Mr. Flanders, since I saw you on Nova last night.

#24 Turf1

Turf1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Michigan USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Welcome to CN! I had my first light with a new scope last night. Here is my beginner over exposed shot of Jupiter last night. Is this what you saw? :)

Attached Files

#25 Turf1

Turf1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Michigan USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Oops picked the wrong one, moons were messed up in that one.........sigh, oh well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics