Jupiter tonight

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Just checking Stellarium for tonight's view of the sky and seeing when Gemini clears the horizon to see the meteors. I see Jupiter will have a nice transit of Europa at around 8pm EST. Clear skies tonight with good seeing, so excited about tonight's observing session.

Clear skies to all :jump:

#2 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes, and the GRS should be around midnight also. I hope are weather clears.

#3 tigerroach

tigerroach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Yuppers, I can't stay out for the meteors tonight but I will have a peek at the Europa/shadow transit, assuming the approaching clouds hold off a little while longer.

#4 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gelatinous, MA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Very excited about tonight. These are the best conditions I've seen since I got my scope. Jupiter looks huge. Plus a meteor shower.

#5 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Clouds :( :(
Tell us what you see.

#6 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Looks like the weather men blew it again. Nothing but clouds here also. I was really hoping for clear skies. Enjoy yours and let us know...

#7 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germantown, MD

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Great view through the binocs. Saw Io and Ganymede. May have to break the scope out here in a bit. Picked up M42 and quite a few Geminids as well.

#8 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

I'm in now. It's about 27 F. Cold. I was out for about an hour and a half. I saw a handful of meteors with one real good slow burner. I saw Europa's shadow very clearly through the 9mm in the 2X barlow. I'm getting better at nudging the scope at that magnification. Very good seeing tonight here. Next I looked at Andromeda. I used a planisphere and Cassiopeia to find it pretty easily this time. It was very nice. My best view was the 30mm barlowed. Since it was close to zenith, the weight of the 2 inch 30mm and the 2 barlow, didn't make things difficult. Then I put the lens caps on and checked out the constellations and the meteors for a little bit. Before putting things away, I went back to Jupiter. Europa's shadow had moved from the top right (inverted view) to the middle. Pretty good session. Action packed.

#9 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Just came in from viewing the shadow transit. A beautiful sight through a Pentax 7mm XL in my XT4.5. Great seeing here. Nice detail on Jupiter. Caught one Geminid so far.

#10 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Pretty cold here and air is very damp. Most star look like they are surrounded by nebula when viewing with unaided eye.The new Z12 base arrived today and now that it is all together I can't move the scope from garage to viewing spot without great effort.Having a Dob base sure beats standing the tube on a cushion,though.Anyway the 12" reveals millions of stars. Didn't get finder and scope aligned so having trouble getting to targets.Bull's Eye has strong golden color .Jupiter 2 bands and 4 moons seen using 32mm EP About 48X.Saw several nice clusters in Cass.Gave up after two hours without finding M31.

#11 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

BigC, I feel your pain. It must be cold there. Teeth chattering, toes cold. Ouch, my body hurts just thinking about it.

#12 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

BigC, I feel your pain. It must be cold there. Teeth chattering, toes cold. Ouch, my body hurts just thinking about it.

As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad weather -- just bad clothing.

Last night was glorious here in Massachusetts until it clouded up around midnight. Temperatures in the mid-20s and hardly any wind -- who could ask for anything more? Observed with telescope 1.5 hours, then watched Geminds two more hours. Toasty warm throughout.

#13 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Dang, it was nasty here. 100% humidity, 100% cloud cover 50* and the wind gusting 20+. How was the Geminds?

#14 MrJones

MrJones

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

3 good nights in a row here and with the Geminids bonus - it's a miracle! As for the cold I look to our dog Teddy for inspiration. He's half Siberian Husky and begs to go out when it's 20 deg.

#15 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Which scope have you been using, MrJones?

#16 tigerroach

tigerroach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Clouded up on me - there's a surprise.

#17 bhuloka

bhuloka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Here in Maryland, CSC predicted above average seeing, but it was a long time coming. I set up the 16" dob, watched the Europa transit: I could see the shadow, but couldn't see the little moon itself at all! I knew exactly its location, stared intently, but seeing was just no good, no good. I had seen a crystal clear transit of Ganymede last week, so this was frustrating!
Then, at 9:30, in the last half hour of the transit, the air calmed down, Europa popped into view, and finally became crystal clear at 9:42. She stayed that way for most of the next hour. I love how the moons, when they're in front of Jove, become little 3-D spheres, with edge shading. I took a break at 11, returned at 12:15 to see the GRS. The seeing had many good moments at 389x, but was not consistent anymore. So around 1:00 I switched to 272X, and was rewarded with MUCH better contrast and apparent sharpness. In the best moments of the wee hours, I could see oval BA, but it never took on a nice clean oval shape. It was more of a blob. The little black spot between it and GRS was my goal, but it only appeared very faintly for a few seconds, even though I patiently waited and stared at it's location for many long minutes on end.

Jupiter did give another gift, though: it's colors were much stronger than usual, and well defined. Especially the NEB was very richly orange-rust colored, with a yellowish Northern fringe. GRS was a similar, more strongly yellowish tone. The saturated colors made the view quite vivid.

At 1:30 I had to turn on the dew heater.

By 2:30 I was cold, in spite of excellent clothing! There was frost all over the scope shroud and telrad. So I had a last view of some favorites: M42 showed stars E and F very easily, even at only 140X, and still visible at 67x, which surprised me. Double cluster was breathtaking, as it always is in average or better seeing. In between the 2 clusters, there is one intensely red tiny star. It stands out so beautifully! I'll have to look up it's name.

Then I put the scope away, and sat with the binoculars: I saw M67 for the first time, a 7th magnitude cluster about 10 deg below the Beehive (M44). Watched for meteors from 2:45 till 3:00 am. Only saw 4 small ones and one medium one that left a smoke trail in the Southeast.
At 3:15 I called it a night and drove home, with the heat on full, as I WAS FREEZING! All in all, a good night, though I was hoping for a bit more consistent seeing. Thanks, Jove! BTW, in India, Jupiter is called Brihaspati.
The days of the week are named after the planets: Thursday just happens to be Brihaspativar! Aptly named! (My screen name, Bhuloka, indicates the plane of the ecliptic in Sanskrit. It's sometimes translated as meaning "the Earth".)

OK, It's Friday and I've got the day off, mostly, so it's time for a nap! ;)

-Lawson

#18 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Sounds like you had an excellent night and nice report!

We had a good CSC night as well here in NC. While waiting for the meteors, checked out Jupiter and the transit. Great views of the belts at 150x. Had a couple of neighbors over for a little bit and they were fascinated that they could see that little black dot on the surface! Treated them to the double cluster and M42 and got an Oh Wow at of them. The DC really did look great being so high up in the sky now. M42 showed me "E", so the nebula filled the whole eyepiece with the 24mm SWA....always beautiful to see.

Saw only a few meteors as I did not stay out past 11pm and I hearing from others that they really started getting active after 12pm. All and all, great night:)

Bob

#19 bhuloka

bhuloka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

I actually saw more (and much bigger) meteors before 11 pm than I did after midnight. I was underwhelmed by the meteor "shower". Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, being focused on Jupiter.
Still, it was interesting to note how they all radiated out from Gemini, no matter where they appeared in the sky.

#20 MrJones

MrJones

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Which scope have you been using, MrJones?

3 nights ago - LT6 and Z12
2 nights ago - 15x70 binocs
Last night - C9.25 and actually got the wife out because she'll always try a meteor shower. She's hilarious - totally unimpressed with M1 but loved the open clusters and of course Jupiter and M42.

#21 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

After watching the flyby of asteroid 4179 Toutatis from his backyard through his 14.5" Starmaster Dob yesterday evening, my friend Tony Donnangelo and I observed Jupiter and the transit of Europa using my newly acquired 6mm Tele Vue Delos (304x) and his 7mm Pentax SMC XW (260x).

Later on that night, I observed Jupiter from a dark site through a friend's 22" SDM Dob. The Great Red Spot was near the CM at the time. Although very pale, the GRS did exhibit some interior detail during moments of steady seeing.

Dave Mitsky

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics