CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lost RA Drive on my CGEM 800

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zebenelgenubi

Zebenelgenubi

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

I set up my C9.25 this evening only to find the RA drive motor isn't working. No slew,no whiring. The declination drive is fine. I rebalanced the setup and adjusted the clutch without effect. How does one trouble shoot this situation? The mount is only about one year old.

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Remove the control panel and swap the connectors on the motors and see if the RA works.

Stan

#3 Zebenelgenubi

Zebenelgenubi

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Stan,

Good idea. I had a chance to look at the symptoms since my initial post. I found that the RA will slew counterclockwise (from Polaris point of view) while straining but will not go clockwise independent of how I balance the mount.

Thanks

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Now that sounds mechanical in nature, rather than electronic. You can try backing off the worm gear adjustment on the RA axis to see if it's a binding problem of the worm gear/ring gear.

Stan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics