Photo

Somewhat hesitant post -- what would you do?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 woodworkt

woodworkt

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Guys, the vendor in question contacted me off list and seems to be trying to resolve it. Thanks again for your insights.

I left the long term question in my post below -- more about thinking about the industry and the future of the hobby in this kind of economy -- because it's probably relevant beyond this case. But if the moderators want to pull the thread, I'm cool with that as well. Thanks again.

#2 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Well I'd sure like to know who it is. Did u pay cash? If you paid with a credit card, you can call them "credit co." and tell them the situation. They should take care of it.

#3 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Businesses fail for many reasons but mis -mangement is probably number one.And creditors of failed businesses seldom recover all their money. Can't get what isn't there.

A lawyer might write a letter demanding your refund for a hour's fee.The question is:does that vendor have any funds now?

If he didn't have actual product there might be charges of fraud,check with the police in his town,and the post office if the transaction ionvolved the mail.Have you spoke with your bank,they are more familiar with moving money.

Caveat emptor is still good advice after 2000 years.

You might as well consider the money gone ,and be pleasantly shocked if some later date he actually completes the refund.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

The only way you will likely get your money back from this loser is in small claims court, if you want to go that way. HOWEVER, as above, a letter from a lawyer might persuade him, and might even encourage him not to steal the money of his next victim. ;)

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Here's a silly thought... if the mount that you originally ordered is now shipping ask the vendor to re-instate your original order and consider the money already paid (the unreturned ballance from your orignal order) as a deposit, the ballance due when your mount ships. I suspect that this will be the closest you'll get to getting your money back.

#6 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

WOW! :shocked: Patience of Job, for sure..,

Personally, I'd have lawyered up a long time ago..,

My $0.02..,

Best of luck - whichever way you decide to go in the end..,

Regards,

skybsd

#7 woodworkt

woodworkt

Mariner 2

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

I don't know I'd phrase it as a matter of victims. I think BigC had it right that you "can't get what isn't there." In the end, guess I really think he's probably just a guy who's trying to be a perfectionist about his products, because he thinks that's the right thing to do, but hasn't quite learned how detrimental it can be to his customers or how to manage the advertising/setting expectations side of running a business so people don't find themselves in this kind of situation without warning.

In the end, maybe this is almost more of a tough, long term question. What is it worth to try and support this hobby and promote innovation? What is it fair to expect from an individual proprietor in this kind of circumstance? How do you help someone you want to see succeed learn to change? And where do you draw the line?

#8 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Personally I'd worry more about ME than taking on some kind of altruistic role as a benefactor of astronomy.

Its not down tou you as a client to support the guys business beyond placing an order. If he cant run a business then he goes under, thats hardball but its what capitalism is all about at the end of the day.

I Think it was General Grant who said " war is the remedy our enemies have choisen and ai say give them all they want" to me a breach of trust by a supplier is in most cases a statement they dont care about me so I dont feel any obligation to care much about them past getting my cash back.

I'd never be an early adopeter or even a Beta tester with my own cash for sure.

#9 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I know which mount and also the vendor that you are referring to. I think you have been very kind and diplomatic. I know that you do not wish to bash him in any way. I don't own one of his mounts nor have I seen one in person. I have only admired the design.

I hope this is resolved in a positive manner for both you and him.

Good luck.

Best, Linda B.

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I know which mount and also the vendor that you are referring to. I think you have been very kind and diplomatic. I know that you do not wish to bash him in any way. I don't own one of his mounts nor have I seen one in person. I have only admired the design.

I hope this is resolved in a positive manner for both you and him.

Good luck.

Best, Linda B.

I have seen and used his mounts. Nice enough. But the bottom line is that he was asked to refund this person's money a long time ago, and despite remaining in business has not done so.

#11 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Agreed. It is all so unfortunate.

Best, Linda B.

#12 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

This is unfortunate. If he's eating, and has a roof over his head, driving around town with gas in the tank and dough in his wallet, and not your money or mount - that is fraud, pure and simple. I can think of no good reason or that it's doing anyone a favor not to go 'on the record' with it with your appropriate authorities. Thankfully the body of law is pretty blind to a nice person comitting fraud or a not so nice person - it's the act/action you need to address.

#13 woodworkt

woodworkt

Mariner 2

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the support, advice, and kind words here and in PMs. Things are being resolved to my satisfaction, and we've even talked about ideas and things he's doing to keep anyone from being in my situation again, like only taking small deposits when orders are placed, which I think speaks well of him.

In the end, I'm comfortable that I've been dealt with honestly, if not always optimally, and I'm mindful of the fact that he can't respond or comment without violating the forum rules. So, at this stage, I really think it might make sense (if the moderators wouldn't mind) to delete or close this thread.

Thanks again.

#14 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Gosh, I wish you'd have left the vendor's name in the thread. One of the main functions of forums such as this is to "get the word out" as to who is good to do business with and who is not. By obfuscating the identity of a bad vendor, you leave others vulnerable to the same maltreatment. It's certainly not "bashing" to factually relay an experience with a vendor and how the issue was resolved.

Regards,

Jim

#15 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Jim - I was wondering the same thing myself. Not saying this dealer's "bad," but if I were looking for a mount right now, I'd want to know.

woodwrkt - could you possibly explain the final situation that got this resolved? Is he getting you your money back? Giving you a new mount? This whole thread just made my stomach knot up reading it - hate this stuff, but it happens.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Paul

#16 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Since the issue has been resolved, the OP requested that the thread be locked. I agree.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics