• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aircoffee

Aircoffee

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Inver Grove Heights, MN

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Does anyone know if there is a problem with Optical Wave Labs? I sent my mirror to them for recoat in early November. I was told two to three weeks. I have emailed several times with no response. Tried to call today and voice mailbox was full. What is going on?? :question:

#2 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I've heard of them taking up to several months!

#3 Aircoffee

Aircoffee

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

If it's just a time issue.... that's ok with me.... got enough to do. :)

#4 jblaschke

jblaschke

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Braunfels, Texas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I sent my Newt mirror to them to be re-coated in March. It was a classic 1/10 wave Meade, circa 1978 or so. It came back with a massive 1" chip cracked in it. They didn't insure the shipment, and despite assurances from Carey, they never made a move to replace the ruined mirror. I've a more detailed thread here you can find if you search a bit.

In short, I wouldn't expect to see your mirror again.

#5 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

I sent a 6" mirror to them a couple months ago. Got it back in about 3 weeks total time, and had excellent email response and conversations with them the whole time, because I wound up deciding to have the mirror refigured as well. I had actually contacted Cary several times prior to that, and always got prompt email responses. I'm not sure why some people have some email problems, and others have none.

It's possible your emails are somehow going to a spam filter, though they ought to check that. Try using a subject line that they will know is not spam, but not one with a lot of exclamation points like "WHERE IS MY MIRROR!!!??!?!" or anything.

#6 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

I take great considerations towards CN not being a place to bash out of line. I also consider this to be a place of prespectable members that should recieve reasonable caution with reason.

My experiences with OWL have not been good. The worst of it being when I declined additional work to refigure and my mirror returned with swirl marks on the coating. I also had an optics test report given for a mirror that I knew was better than the report. There has been some issues with OWL coatings recently where the coating has failed right out of the box, and dissporportionately large number of cases for top line IAD. Many such cases turned up on the Amart forums before HY edited the strings. There were a lot of hot people over there about service and communication. The same situation existed with Obsidian Optics, the precursor to OWL.

I won't go there....any more.
Best of luck with the mirror Coffee.

#7 Aircoffee

Aircoffee

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Just like to say, I got my mirror back. :)

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Great news, Paul! :)

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

The same situation existed with Obsidian Optics, the precursor to OWL.

I thought the predecessor to Owl was Woden??

Obsidian Optics is someone else.

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics