• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#51 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Looks like I'm going. Got bunk house accommodations. TSP 2013 here I come. :jump:

This will be number three for me. 1999, 2010 were the two previous.

I was so lucky to get selected to attend TSP, and not only that, also to get a bunkhouse slot. I didn't get the initial email notification due to my inbox being full and then totally forgot to check later...but was able to send it in late and due to cancellations I got in.

This will be my 26th TSP and it would have been 27 years of continuous attendance since I was 25 years old in May 1987, but I missed 1993 due to ex not allowing it (won't happen again!).
TSP is awwwwwesome. :bow:

#52 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

FYI. If this is your first year and you have not visited the Radio Telescope that is just east of the Prude Ranch, you should go visit it. It is one of the observatories/facilities that could be slated for closure with the coming budgets that have been proposed via NSF/NOAO/NRAO etc.

You get to it by taking the road on the east side of the ranch... Sproul Rd. I made it up to th dish with my Prius back in 2011. I missed the workers but they have given free tours if you can catch them.

Wow, you are so right about recommending this. Talk about free tours! This was not a tour, but rather a complete inside and outside look and explanation of the whole thing. John Wagoner, Mike Planchon, Chaz Hafey, and I hiked over there one morning a few TSPs ago and they let us climb wayyyyyy up in that baby. It is not for the squeamish about heights (which I am a little bit but I was too stoked to think about not goimg up). The old guy that ran the scope singlehandedly had to climb up into the dish to work on it regularly, which really amazed me (like being a trapeze performer almost). It was an amazing experience and I will always remember it even though I'm not particularly into radio astronomy. EDIT - after I saw the photo of the engineers in the dish, which was awesome, I wanted to say that I think that they sometimes have to go in there when the dish is tilted at a sharp angle, not horizontal as in the photo - thus my amazement at the 60-something dude going in there regularly, incl. when the dish has ice on it.

#53 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greater Sacramento region

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Alvin,
I am so very sorry to hear that. You will be missed. I hope things are okay.
David

Yeah, things are fine. Just my schedule is aligned such a way where I can not be at two places at the same time.

#54 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Awwwww, Alvin. :( I was so looking forward to seeing you again!

#55 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sorry you won't make it Alvin. Looks like we WILL make it and I was thinking I never have took a night and spent some time with you really observing with your main scope. I resolved to do so but, alas. . .
Hope you are doing well,
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

#56 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I was looking forward to seeing you again and meeting Erika for the first time. I'll make it next year.

Been too long...6 years

#57 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm sorry you can't swing it this year, Alvin. Darrell can't make it either. :( We've got to try to make time to meet up when you're in Austin next.

#58 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'm sorry you can't swing it this year, Alvin. Darrell can't make it either. :( We've got to try to make time to meet up when you're in Austin next.

Hi Erika,

That might be soon as I'm looking in possibly relocating to Austin or San Antonio.

PS: I went to Austin twice for interviews late last year. The 2nd was so last minute, I had literally no chance to prepare...they bought the ticket and told me to get on the plane...and I left later that day. That interview went great, but it was too high of a level for me.

I'm looking now in Pharma/Medical device firms in quality. Sr. Manager to Sr. Director levels.

#59 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Alvin,
That would put you closer indeed! I now live north of San Antonio in the Hill Country. It is great out here. I hope the possible move comes to whatever terms that are best for you and yours. If it means moving out here, though, that would be great! :)

#60 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yes, it would be great! The Austin Astronomical Society is a pretty good club with a terrific outreach program and member activities. Plus, well, I'd get to see you! :grin:

David, your new location should put us only about 2 hours away from each other now. I was just down in the San Antonio area a couple days ago.

#61 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Erika,
Maybe even a bit closer since I am about a half hour or more north of San Antonio.

#62 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

:whee:

#63 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Alvin,

I now live north of San Antonio in the Hill Country. It is great out here.

Hi David,

Hopefully you and Beth can leave the hills of San Antonio behind for a couple of weeks in March next year and make another trip downunda. Of course you already know we offer a major serious photon fix down here, as this would be your 4th or 5th observing trip to OZ?.

I hope TSP goes well for you guys this year. I would love to return for another TSP, but unfortunately my family situation will preclude that for the next couple of years.

Cheers,

#64 Sirius76

Sirius76

Vendor-Dark Skies Apparel

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago, Il

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Just wanted to announce to the board that Dark Skies Apparel/Deep Sky Forum will be attending this years TSP!

See you all in May!

#65 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

That Deep Sky Forum is nice, I did not know it existed.

#66 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

That Deep Sky Forum is nice, I did not know it existed.

Now you do. ;)

#67 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

We have snow in the forecast. I can't wait to get out of here. I leave for TSP three weeks from tomorrow!!!!

#68 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Glad you have it and not us finally. I am heading to NEAF next weekend, then leave for TSP the Friday before.

#69 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, it's sneaking up on us. I'm trying to see what I can fit in the Prius this year. No more Jeep. For the 2800 mile round trip gas will cost about $218 for the Prius as compared to about $650 for the Jeep.

I'll find out this weekend when we pack for a weekend camping trip to a green zone.

I'm going to set up in the middle field again this year.

#70 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Wow that is a big difference. My older larger travel trailer took me about 265 gals of diesel. Got a newer smaller Casita/egg camper and expect it to run me >only< 200 gals this time ;)

Still worth it compared to our skies at home.

Jim, have you ever gone to Deerlick for Peach State star gaze? I am going there this year instead of Okietex since it is about 1/3rd the distance for me. Should be an easy drive from Ind too?

Dean

#71 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Wow that is a big difference. My older larger travel trailer took me about 265 gals of diesel. Got a newer smaller Casita/egg camper and expect it to run me >only< 200 gals this time ;)

Still worth it compared to our skies at home.

Jim, have you ever gone to Deerlick for Peach State star gaze? I am going there this year instead of Okietex since it is about 1/3rd the distance for me. Should be an easy drive from Ind too?

Dean

Dean,

Yeah, ouch on the gas cost.

I haven't tried either of those two gatherings. I'll look into them and see if I can fit them in. Do you have a favorite between the two?

Jim

#72 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

OkieTex is darker but that is a long drive. And it gets me no further south so the late summer southern objects are still a bit low. At least at Deerlick they are higher. Not as dark but in a dark blue zone.

They both have nice arrangements with showers and hooks up. Okie has some great meal plans where PSSG is more limted.

When I was at Okie 2 years ago the dust was extreme. TSP can be bad but Okie was like 2" deep of powder on the roads. They had had no rain in a year they said.

PSSG is on nice green grass, but that also means more moisture in the air too. For me it is only a 7-8 hour drive so a 1 day driver verse 2 full 11+ hour days going out west.

My other closer one I really enjoy is the Chiefland Star Party in November. It is about 11 hours for me and again has great amenities around the field.

So many choices but with the higher fuel prices I am likely to stay closer in the next few years with WSP and TSP as my only long trips.

Dean

#73 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

OkieTex is darker but that is a long drive. And it gets me no further south so the late summer southern objects are still a bit low. At least at Deerlick they are higher. Not as dark but in a dark blue zone.

They both have nice arrangements with showers and hooks up. Okie has some great meal plans where PSSG is more limted.

When I was at Okie 2 years ago the dust was extreme. TSP can be bad but Okie was like 2" deep of powder on the roads. They had had no rain in a year they said.

PSSG is on nice green grass, but that also means more moisture in the air too. For me it is only a 7-8 hour drive so a 1 day driver verse 2 full 11+ hour days going out west.

My other closer one I really enjoy is the Chiefland Star Party in November. It is about 11 hours for me and again has great amenities around the field.

So many choices but with the higher fuel prices I am likely to stay closer in the next few years with WSP and TSP as my only long trips.

Dean

Thanks, Dean. I've considered OkieTex, but agree that it's another very long drive. The PSSG is about 11 hours for me, a little too long for a one day's drive for me alone, but I still may consider it this fall.

See you in a few weeks!

Jim

#74 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Not as much chatter here about TSP as in the past several years. Maybe thats due to several Standard Bearers not able to attend this year, or maybe it's been sneaking up on us. But I'm looking forward to it if nothing else as a proof of life. Last year the April date made it too early for me. I had bypass surgery in January 2012 and April was a little too soon for such an undertaking. I anticipate problems with the altitude adjustment so we will take it in steps. We will stay in Balmorhea on Friday, Alpine on Saturday and have a short drive to the Prude Ranch on Sunday. I will set up on the Northeast corner of the upper field along Dave Moody and Bob Summerfield. I will just adjust my observing agenda to my endurance. I do hope we can do a Cloudy Nights get together.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

#75 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hey all,

Those of you who are interested in pursuing the TSP Advanced Observing list, you can download the list from here and my observing guide from here (scroll to bottom)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics