Texas Star Party

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#151 jerry10137

jerry10137

Messenger

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

It's no biggie. I was just curious if the ranch was accessible before hand. I'm a little anxious for a trip I've been planning for a while. Thanks for the input.

#152 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

"The society dedicated to advancing the astronomical persuits of those whose given name is Dave or David . ."

Donald Trump's team of detectives wants to see a birth certificate for you, "Dave".

#153 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Heading out from Boulder tomorrow (Saturday) morning and aiming for a 12:30 Sunday arrival. Leaving blue skies here... Hoping it will be even better in Texas. Looking forward to alien encounter in Roswell New Mexico enroute.

See y'all in Texas.

Jim in Boulder

#154 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Dave forecast is pretty good for tomorrow here in Astronomicsland . . . clearing, 50s, into 60s and up over the weekend. Enjoy your stop in Norman!

Hi Mike. Your weather report is encouraging. I'm in a motel in Miami, OK. It has been raining hevily since St. Louis. The temperature is 33F and there is now wet snow mixed with the rain. What the heck???

I'll see you in the store after lunch tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the place and meeting the staff....

Dave

Dave, I wish I'd known you were going to be in town today. I'd have bought you dinner. :foreheadslap:

#155 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

My friend "Gastronaut" and I are also staying in Miami. We spent a large part of the day driving through rain and later through wet snow.

Dave Mitsky

#156 djpontone

djpontone

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Dave: tony d and myself had 2 great nites at cherry springs ! Have a great TSP clear skies dan .

#157 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thanks, Dan.

The skies were so-so at the Prude Ranch last night until clouds finally did us in around 2:00 a.m. However, Bob Werkman and I got some reasonably good views of dozens of objects, including OMG Centauri and Centaurus A.

Dave Mitsky

#158 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Thanks, Rex. I appreciate the offer. Next time? And if you ever 'take a wrong turn at Albuquerque' and end up in the Toronto area same offer applies from me.

see you at OkieTex at any rate

Dave

#159 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

First night report: Clouds started moving in about 12:30, most people shutting down by 1 am. But biggest problem is dust in the air, evidently high in the atmosphere, very tiny particles which don't fall out if there is any wind, they just stay suspended. Transparency was not good tonight, so nobody doing much serious work.
Now to bed.
Clear skies and clea glass,
Mike

#160 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

If anyone is familiar with the extremely irritating Megastar issue where you can't install it on modern computers, I could really use some help. My brother used some hints from CN people and some other emails I'd saved and was able to get it to work - for two days! it worked great then suddenly when I click on the desktop shortcut - nothing. I haven't changed anything at all.

If anyone would be willing to take a look and help me out, I would be very grateful and will make it up to you (say, dinner in town for you and friend, spouse, etc.).

I used Megastar 'religiously' when I could install it on an older computer and relied on it a lot...really need it this week while at TSP. I'm in Harmony 3 bunkhouse - pls ask for Jason or leave a note how to find you (can leave note on bunkhouse door or on the bulletin boards outside the main ranch building). I've got a Sony Vaio laptop with Vista (yes, I hate it also!)... :smashpc: thanks in advance!

#161 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Darnit, I really need to get out there one of these years. So hard to do with an almost 6 month old son at home and work work work all the time.

For those of you from other States, I live in Texas and it would still be about a 9 hour drive. El Paso is halfway from my neck of the woods to San Diego. Think about that.

Anywho, PLEASE take lots of pictures!!!

Be safe and Clear Skies.

#162 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Monday night started out looking not so pretty, but after midnight, turned out quite nice. Still average seeing, but the transparency went up to 4 out of 5 and it was a great night for hunting down galaxies on my Herschel list.

Beautiful Milky Way rising last night. After a quick look as some of my favorites in Sagittarius, I called it quits around 3 am.

That's it for now.

#163 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Monday night started out looking not so pretty, but after midnight, turned out quite nice. Still average seeing, but the transparency went up to 4 out of 5 and it was a great night for hunting down galaxies on my Herschel list.

Beautiful Milky Way rising last night. After a quick look as some of my favorites in Sagittarius, I called it quits around 3 am.

That's it for now.

You are so right...I was really worried about prospects for last night but it was great! 53F at 2:30am when I quit seemed so cold last night, somehow...but it sure beat 24-25F last year in late April for morning lows the first couple of nights. :coldday:

#164 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

We need photos! :photo:

#165 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Posted Image

And I'm talkin' people pics, not just field set-up pics.... :grin:

I *am* glad y'all got some sky last night; when I saw posts on FB and some of you online here around 10-11-12 last night, I was worried y'all had gotten totally clouded out. Happy to hear it cleared up!

#166 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Posted Image

And I'm talkin' people pics, not just field set-up pics.... :grin:

I *am* glad y'all got some sky last night; when I saw posts on FB and some of you online here around 10-11-12 last night, I was worried y'all had gotten totally clouded out. Happy to hear it cleared up!

YES! We want pictures!

Please. :D

#167 Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hello all, seems like I remember hearing something about a Cloudynights social or happy hour or something out here at TSP. When and where is it?

#168 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greater Sacramento region

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hello all, seems like I remember hearing something about a Cloudynights social or happy hour or something out here at TSP. When and where is it?

Two hours ago...if it was held at the same time and day as usual. Darrell (snorkler) usually heads it. Most who attended the CN malt run last year didn't make it this year, including me, Faith, Len and Darrell.

#169 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

Two hours ago...if it was held at the same time and day as usual. Darrell (snorkler) usually heads it. Most who attended the CN malt run last year didn't make it this year, including me, Faith, Len and Darrell.

I made the 'malt run' myself in the afternoon and it was lonely without all of you :bawling: but it still tasted verrrrry good. :cool:

#170 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

if anyone is at TSP who knows a little about simple computer issues, I could really use some help with my Megastar issue mentioned a page back or so...am staying in Harmony 3 not far from the upper field middle stairs. Thanks if you could help...

#171 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greater Sacramento region

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:53 AM

Jason...what I did was copy the executable from my old machine. Now I keep that executable on my "NAS" box. I don't install anymore, but just copy the whole folder now, including the executable.

Oh, I'm not sure if you knew that there was an updated exe file on Willman Bell. Or go see Remekulus (owner of Willman Bell) at AstroCards table...he usually hangs out there...he is the short white haired dude with glasses...someone who is obviously not Kepple or Sanner...but he hangs out there ...very often.

#172 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Sigh..........

still no photos. How do we know anyone's there without pics? :p

#173 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Jason...what I did was copy the executable from my old machine. Now I keep that executable on my "NAS" box. I don't install anymore, but just copy the whole folder now, including the executable.

Oh, I'm not sure if you knew that there was an updated exe file on Willman Bell. Or go see Remekulus (owner of Willman Bell) at AstroCards table...he usually hangs out there...he is the short white haired dude with glasses...someone who is obviously not Kepple or Sanner...but he hangs out there ...very often.

Alvin, THANKS! I tried to call Willmann-Bell to see if I could get them to overnight me a replacement disk, which I found out through searching CN archived posts has been updated and the program will install on newer machines.

...BUT, when I called I found that they have a message on their answering machine stating that they are closed and will be out of the office until the 13th. I thought, 'oh man, what a great week for them to be closed!' Little did I know that they are HERE! :shocked: :cool:

I wish I'd have known that Monday at lunch and I'd have gotten some help. Maybe he can help me without the new disk. My brother did what you recommended (I'm not so savvy with these issues - I just use my computer and need to learn some basic repair and mtce skills...). However, the program stopped opening after two days. I have no idea what changed.

Anyway, thanks a lot for answering, Alvin. :bow:

#174 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

Last night at TSP was fantastic. Yesterday was yet another day where I said to myself, 'oh well, at least I will be able to catch up on my sleep tonight...' (because it was so cloudy /all/ day, with more heavy clouds later in the day, not those nice puffy cumulus clouds that we are used to here on May afternoons that blow away after dark).

Well, lo and behold, again late in the evening it cleared up beautifully! It was around 50F by midnight, down to 42F when I stopped observing at 3:15am, and 37F was recorded as my minimum observed temp. It was not at all uncomfortable, there was absolutely no dew, and there was not even a light breeze all night. The Milky Way wasn't as detailed as I've seen on the best nights here but it was 3/4 as good as it gets here, anyway.

Seeing was 'so-so', however, as it was last night. Star images weren't the usual pinpoints that I often see with my 14.5-inch Zambuto glass and details on Saturn were very fleeting (hard to see because the lasted only tiny fractions of a second). I can only see 6th mag stars but people with better acuity I think could push 7th mag here for sure last night (BTW, I bought a pair of glass lens prescription lenses late last year with 0.5 diopter added correction and they worked wonders for seeing fainter, more pinpoint stars. This is the first TSP I've had them and wouldn't observe without them now. The crown glass + antireflective coatings won't scratch if normal care is taken while cleaning, and won't scratch easily if pressed up against eyepieces as will plastic lenses).

#175 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Last night = great night. I went all the way until dawn. I finished off two of Larry's older lists that I had been working on plus completed most of what I was planning to do for the entire week. Two more nights like this and I'll go home very happy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics