• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DustinB3

DustinB3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Hello everyone,

My Canon 15x50's arrived today. They are my first pair of astronomy binoculars. I really like them and I'm pretty sure I can see Jupiter and its moons better in the binoculars than my old 4.5" Bushnell northstar telescope.

Since they are my first pair of binoculars I don't know what to look for to make sure they're in good condition, but I've heard of people having issues with the 15x50's so I thought I'd ask here.

The only things I've noticed are very small streaks of light coming from some brighter stars, making it look a little bit like a reverse L shape, and some chromatic aberration on Jupiter making it look like this: http://farm9.staticf...abbd1e407_z.jpg but the moons do not show any aberration.

Should I be concerned and exchange for a better pair or is this to be expected?

Thanks!
Dustin

#2 DustinB3

DustinB3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

I just saw the Andromeda galaxy... possibly the coolest thing ever WOW

#3 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

A little chromatic aberration is to be expected, so don't worry about that. The big issue is how steady the image stabilizer keeps your images.

I love my 15x50 IS, and consider it my #1 binocular amongst all that I have. The IS is just magic with regard to what it allows to be seen with a hand-held high power binocular. You should have many hours of fun ahead of you...

#4 tigerroach

tigerroach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Congrats and happy new binoculars day! :cool:

My 15x50s have been around the world and to two solar eclipses with me. They are a great, portable observing tool.

Clear skies!

#5 Zuben el Genubi

Zuben el Genubi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 12deg 28 S, 130deg 50 E

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Congrats. I also take my 15x50's all over the place.

PS what set up do you use for solar views?

#6 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

how close is the IS view compared to a tripod mounted binocular of same size

:question:

edj

#7 guangtou

guangtou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

I don't have another 15x binocular to compare the Canon 15x50 with, but I'm sure if you put one of the 15x70 models popular with users in this forum on a tripod, the resulting view would be better in at least showing more stars as well as more nebulosity in deep sky objects on axis. Stating the obvious, the beauty of the IS system is not having to have a tripod for spectacular views that rival those of tripod mounted binocs. I'm personally willing to trade off on what would be a superior view with tripod mounted binocs for portability and ease of use.

However, something that is ususally overlooked with the Canon 15x50IS- how well they do work mounted! Yes, it isn't a sin to mount them. Sometimes I like to observe with a tripod so I can study a target in detail. The Fujinon 16x70 is 4.76 pounds, the Garrett 15x70 Signature is over 5 pounds. The Canon? 2.6 pounds and mounted from the bottom.

Attached Files

#8 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

However, something that is usually overlooked with the Canon 15x50IS- how well they do work mounted! Yes, it isn't a sin to mount them. Sometimes I like to observe with a tripod so I can study a target in detail. The Fujinon 16x70 is 4.76 pounds, the Garrett 15x70 Signature is over 5 pounds. The Canon? 2.6 pounds and mounted from the bottom.

As long as you admit to doing this... So will I.

Yes, the IS bins do so well even when mounted that it still isn't a 1 for 1 comparison with another similar binocular IMO. Don't ask me to explain it, but it is what it is. With the IS on AND mounting it on a tripod, it does seem to allow a detailed view that is better than using no IS at all. You just have to try it.

And I do have the bigger bins and tripods and I still use my 15x50 IS a lot more. Though I expect that I might say differently if I lived somewhere where I had regular access to better night sky...

#9 guangtou

guangtou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

smark,

PM sent. Thanks.

Brian

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics