Cg-4 and polar scope

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

I just received my polar scope in the mail yesterday. I successfully aligned it to a far away object, and can rotate it with the onject staying in the center of the cross-hair. I'm wondering if setting the time and date is completely necessay to use the polar scope? Wouldn't I still be able to put Polaris in the little circle to center the NCP in the cross-hairs without knowing Polaris transit times?

#2 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Put the mount in the Home Position with the counter weight bar over the North leg. Align the polar scope so the long tail of the center cross is lined up with the counter weight bar.

Rotate the mount in RA and verify the center cross does not wander. If the center cross wanders, use the scope adjustment screws to keep the cross centered.

To do a polar alignment you can use this procedure: http://www.weasner.c..._alignment.html

#3 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thank you very much. Pretty much confirmed that once I align it with the RA axis I don't NEED to set it up according to Polaris Transit times. As long as I can get Polaris in the little circle and have Cass. and Ursa Major in the right positions I should be good to go.

#4 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

If you want a little more accuracy, download the TakAlign app for iphone (and other devices). Just place polaris on the outer ring in close proximity to the position indicated on the Takalign app for the hour angle of polaris. As soon as my illuminated eyepiece gets here I will further refine my alignments with Alignmaster program. I like it easy!

#5 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for the app suggestion, Andrew. I'll give it a shot on the next clear night. I got out for a quick test run tonight before the clouds and the polar alignment gave me 1 minute exposures with no star trails. I'm pretty sure I could do 2 minutes if light pollution would allow it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics