8 replies to this topic

#1 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

JupiterMoons

I downloaded it this morning and have played with it. I really like it. I am sure the first question is how does it compare to Gas Giants by Software Bisque.

I played with both this afternoon, I think for Jupiter the Sky and Telescope app is better and easier to use. I like that you can read what the moons and GRS are doing on Jupiter plus see a graphic whereas Gas Giants just gives the graphic. The S&T app also has a red light feature.

In the end for the information that JupiterMoons gives on Jupiter I like it better for Jupiter observing. I however think Gas Giants is probably the better app since it does include Jupiter and Saturn moon location data.

I hope Sky and Telescope does an App for Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. If they were to do that I would hope Software Bisque would match those features in Gas Giants.

I am glad I have both of these apps though, and they are pretty cheap so it is not like it is going to break the bank for someone to get both.

#2 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

I hope Sky and Telescope does an App for Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

I've heard from an inside source that a Saturn app is being planned for the upcoming Saturn season ;-)

I'm not totally sure what would be gained by having a Uranus and Neptune app. There is generally not too much interesting going on with them. Is it really necessary?

#3 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Heck, nothing's really "necessary," but I agree interest would probably be slight for Ur/Nep app. On the other hand, I have used S & T's Java thingy to print charts identifying Uranus's moons at a given time and date and if I had something like that on my iPad Mini I'd certainly consult it on occasion.

. . . I'll have to see what Sky Safari does with Uranus's moons, if anything.

#4 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Sky Safari certainly shows the moons of Uranus and Neptune in their proper location (many more moons than could possibly be observed).

The benefit of a specialized app is that you can get to that view immediately rather than selecting, centering and zooming in on the object. The Jupiter Moons app also lets you quickly see when all the moon events will be for the next 24 hours. I just wouldn't think the market for a similar specialized Uranus/Neptune app would be all that great.

#5 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hey everyone,
I agree with the notion that Uranus and Neptune don't offer much for the amateur astronomer, but they do have moons that some folks do like to chase down every now and then

#6 Aleko

Aleko

Vostok 1

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Bill,

Any chance of an S&T app, or the inclusion in SkySafari, of upcoming minima of Algol?

Thanks,
Alex

#7 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

Will there be an Android version?

#8 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Bill,

Any chance of an S&T app, or the inclusion in SkySafari, of upcoming minima of Algol?

Thanks,
Alex

The SkyWeek Plus app will mention it at times. Also the free email service that Sky and Telescope does mentions it too!

#9 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

An Android version is certainly possible down the road. As most of you know, Southern Stars did the Jupiter Moons app for S&T. They've asked about an Android version but our plate is full (and somewhat overflowing) at the moment.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics