Dec 12 Beginning DSO Challenge
Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:55 AM
Post your entries here.
1. All entries must be captured within the same season as the contest. For example, if the subject was Orion Nebula, than any photo captured during this particular winter (or period that it was visible) would qualify for the contest. Entries must be made prior midnight of the last day of the month.
2. Images to be considered for entry to the Challenge must be posted to and visible in the challenge submissions thread. A link to an off-site image without a version that is actually displayed in the Challenge submissions thread will not suffice and is subject to disqualification.
3. Images to be considered for entry to the Challenge must conform in all respects with the site wide image posting requirements. Entrants may elect to set this "entry image" up as a "clickable link" to a higher resolution image if they so desire, and entrants may also elect to instead provide a separate link to such an image if they so choose. If the entrant provides a legally sized and working "clickable link" as their "entry image", that "clickable link" will be included in the polling thread so that voters can examine the high resolution image before voting. However, any "entry images" displayed on the CN site that do not meet the file size and pixel dimension requirements will subject the entry to disqualification. Any questions on this rule? Just ask.
4. Please include the equipment used to take the image. Scope/Mount/Camera/Focal reducers/Barlows...whatever. Also include your location.
5. Please do not post comments in the entries thread. It is just for these wonderful images you all will be submitting.
6. The equipment must be yours. Doesn't matter what it is. 20" RC, ETX70, 2" Tasco or an 8" TMB.
7. No collaborations. You must be the operator. You must setup, align, take the exposures and process them yourself. You can have help mounting that 26" RC if need be. No remote scope images. Unless you own that remote scope and have set it up aligned it and hooked your camera up. Then you can use it. No pay by the hour renta-scope images will be allowed.
*If you have a physical disability which prevents you from being able to set up your equipment, you may still post images in the contests. However, you must own the equipment.
8. Most importantly! Have fun. Support one another's efforts. As we all can learn from this and enjoy each others accomplishments.
Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:09 PM
With a bonus object 1997 WN35:
Object (33078) 1997 WN35 RA 05 34 23.2 DEC +22 20 36 Magnitude 19.9 Motion in Arcsecs/Hr: RA 76+ DEC 0-
Taken on Nov 6, 2012 in my suburban back yard.
10 lights at 600 seconds 400 ISO with modded Pentax K10D cooled DSLR at 14-16C
Scope used: Orion 127 Maksutov Cassegrain
Mount used: Losmandy G11 G2 with PEC
Filters: Stacked Baader Moon & Skyglow and UV/IR
Calibrated with Maxim with total of 96 darks, 256 bias, and 15 flats. Stacked and debayered in DSS 3.3.3 beta 47. Processed in PixInsight.
Large Version on Flickr
...also on Astrobin
Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:18 PM
Scope: AT6RC with CCD67 reducer at .704. Focal length 960mm
Filter: IDAS LPS
Image Details: 49x300sec, Darks, Flats, Bias applied
Captured with Nebulosity, PhD Guiding with 50mm mini guidescope and Orion SSAG, Stacked in DSS, Finished off in PS CS5.
Shot from home, image cropped
High Res - Astrobin
Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:33 PM
Scope: Astro-Tech AT65EDQ (f/6.5, 422mm)
Mount: Losmandy G11 w/ OPWB
Camera: ATIK 314E (monochrome)
Software: Sequence Generator Pro, PHDGuiding, PixInsight
Location: my back yard outside of Austin, TX
Luminance: Orion SkyGlow Imaging filter, 43 x 5 minutes, taken on 12/04/2012
H-Alpha: Astrodon 3nm H-alpha filter, 13 x 30 minutes, taken on 12/12,17,18/2012
Other Notes: Processed with flats, bias and darkflat frames, no darks (I use defect maps).
Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:52 AM