SX Lodestar-C in near realtime

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Scope's been down for 3 months but back in action last night - here's M1 in 30s exp - full data on image :grin:

Attached Files

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

and the Horsehead B33 in 30s [inset] and 2m [main pic] - both DSOs almost identical in size :grin:

ps: No hope of seeing HH visually with my severe light pollution but my cam can :o

Attached Files

#3 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

interesting
how long can you go(time wise) with your setup

#4 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

interesting how long can you go(time wise) with your setup

Jon - exposures are controlled by laptop s/ware and there is no limit on duration but a practical limit for me set by severe light pollution to <3m exposure where the image 'whiteouts' [complete saturation] via my 'fast' f/3.7 SCT optics which are unfiltered. For longer exposures images are stacked after the bright sky background is removed. Hope that clarifies ;)

#5 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Wouldn't be so sure Maurice, I caught the California neb from Bushy Park last week.... ;-)

PEterW

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Wouldn't be so sure Maurice, I caught the California neb from Bushy Park last week.... ;-)PEterW

Yes Peter the California is relatively bright as my e-finder Lodestar shot of a few years back below - still await your pic postings links :o

Attached Files

#7 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Could resist another M1 with Seasonal Greetings
from Nytecam

Attached Files

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

beautiful Maurice, I love your lodestar images. Nice M1!

#9 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

beautiful Maurice, I love your lodestar images. Nice M1!

Thanks Raginar - hope to please :grin:

sent via Kindle Fire

#10 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Nice color

#11 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Nice color

Thanks - here's my 4s exp shot used for centering the target M1 - amazingly it gets down to ~mag 17 :grin:

Attached Files

#12 norden

norden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Norden

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

I find it very difficult to decide which camera I should get. A MallinCam or Lodestar-C? These cameras should be comparable with respect to sensitivity. I have a CPC1100 telescope on an ordinary ALT / AZ mount. I will use a focal length of about 3.8. My question is if they give similar and the same magnitude during enexponering between 15 to 50 seconds? Can I use a Lodestar-C with ALT / AZ mount? Are there other color cameras with similar sensitivity and perhaps with cooling?

#13 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I find it very difficult to decide which camera I should get. A MallinCam or Lodestar-C? These cameras should be comparable with respect to sensitivity. I have a CPC1100 telescope on an ordinary ALT / AZ mount. I will use a focal length of about 3.8. My question is if they give similar and the same magnitude during enexponering between 15 to 50 seconds? Can I use a Lodestar-C with ALT / AZ mount? Are there other color cameras with similar sensitivity and perhaps with cooling?

I'd like to know who on the Forum has got a Lodestar-C, using it successfully on what and where they're secreting their images :question: I'd hate to think I'm the Lodestar guru with no competition - my DSO images under city skies here :lol:

#14 norden

norden

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Nice pictures, but how do one short exposure, 15-40 seconds with alt/az?

#15 Jay B

Jay B

Vostok 1

• Loc: Richmond, Virginia USA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Like the post above, I have been admiring your Lodestar -C images (and your awesome website), and I am trying to decide what I should get for this type of real/time short exposure imaging. I have been playing around with an imaging source camera, but I need something with a bigger chip.
What software are you using with the Lodestar-c does it come with it?

Other than a Lodestar-c which I am considering after seeing your work, any other CCD (non-video) cameras you might recommend at a price similiar or less than the Lodestar-C?
Thanks.

#16 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

Nice pictures, but how do one short exposure, 15-40 seconds with alt/az?

I've no experience of alt-az imaging [beyond my tiny ETX-70 and Schmidt-Lensless conversion - see via link below] and something I'd not recommend for larger scopes. 'Spos as 90% of scope users eyeball, manufacturers don't see the need of the minority eg imagers with realistic tracking!

However here's some old Lodestar-M [monochrome] shots eg

http://home.freeuk.c...lodestar-c.html mixed 30cm+70mm+yt vids

http://www.cloudynig...-lodecolmix.jpg =piggy etx-70+lodestar c

http://www.cloudynig...dsomix080518... gxy snaps 3s-10s 30cm f/2.6

http://www.cloudynig...dsomix080519... gxy snaps 30s 30cm f/2.6

The 70mm shots only 1/13th of the light grasp of your 11" and all are a fair guide of what is possible with brief exposures so tracking not an issue :o

#17 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Awesome as always Nytecam.

#18 norden

norden

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera has a ICX419AKL sensor and Lodestar-C ICX429 AKL sensor. Anyone know the difference and pros and cons?

MallinCam sensor ICX418AKL

#19 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Mallincam is a 418 or as an option the 428. The 429 (like the 428) is the newer ExView HAD sensor which is something like 20% more sensitive. The HAD sensor is also more sensitive in the IR region.

#20 norden

norden

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Mark! Lodestar-C should be ICX429 AK without a L

#21 Busgosu

Busgosu

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: South Spain

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Here we can compare M1 60 sg and stacked with Mallincam Extreme and new Jr Pro, i think Lodestar its similar or bettter, and has simpler configuration, only 1 cable, etc.,.., near plug and play!

http://www.flickr.co...08/10562196933/

source:
http://stargazerslou...-the-mc-jr-pro/

#22 Dwight J

Dwight J

Apollo

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Aside from having to use a computer. I can plug an astrovideo camera directly into a TV. No pre or post processing required.

#23 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:17 AM

Aside from having to use a computer. I can plug an astrovideo camera directly into a TV. No pre or post processing required.

Complete Lodestar system = 1 cam + 1 USB lead + 1 laptop - everyone has a laptop don't they !

No tangle of wires, no complex and multiple camera settings, no additional power source or mains supply, no amp glow, no hyper-circuitry etc - just set exposure in seconds and await image download in display loop. :grin:

And video camera results ARE processed via the camera settings AND nowadays by MiloSlick software - you told us :o

#24 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

• Loc: OK, USA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

As long as those complicated things are hidden in a box, that is tolerable for some people. :)

On the other hand, as an engineer I hate to be kept in the dark by the hidden stuff. But everybody has different preference. That is perfectly fine. :lol:

#25 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

And I think we're being a bit simplistic again Maurice ...

1 cam + 1 USB lead + 1 Windows PC + the SX software. Yes, that setup is a bit simpler than with a video camera but it's not that different.

Complex and multiple camera settings ???? Different than a LodeStar or any CCD camera sure, but where there are settings in the video camera there are settings in the software for the CCD camera. You have to have those controls present somewhere. Remember the video camera is originally intended to be used without any external control devices like a PC.

No amp glow? Really? That would be a world first. Lets see the raw 30, 45, 60s LodeStar images at similar gain levels as the video cameras and compare them.

Hyper circuitry? You mean the LodeStar doesn't have any long exposure circuitry within the camera? (of course it does) Hyper is just longer exposures and adjusted gain for Mallincams. Rock has simply put a funny name on some of the capabilities he's put into his cameras. It doesn't add to the complexity of using the his cameras.

"just set exposure in seconds and await image download in display loop" ... and that is exactly what I can do with a video camera as well. Just like the SX software I have additional buttons to push if I choose to do so but I don't have to. A video camera can be run in a very simplistic fashion as well.

"And video camera results ARE processed via the camera settings AND nowadays by MiloSlick software - you told us" Yes, in an effort to explain what is going on so folks understand what they are seeing. Miloslick software is probably the most complex aspect of using a video camera. Yet there are many of us who don't use it, there are many other software options for controlling the cameras and displaying images. Some folks in fact strive to keep things as simple as possible (as close to just using a video camera with a video monitor).

"On the other hand, as an engineer I hate to be kept in the dark by the hidden stuff. But everybody has different preference."
Well PuckJa then I'm glad you've got the source code for the SX software that you're using. "Boxes" that hide things don't necessarily have to be physical boxes.

I don't remember anyone suggesting using a video camera is simpler than using the LodeStar or other CCD cameras so I'm not sure why it's necessary to continue to stress the differences. A video camera with just a video monitor is also a very simple setup. Connecting to and controlling a video camera from a PC is indeed a bit more complex but for the vast majority of folks that doesn't seem to be a big issue.

I think the more important thing is to be transparent as to just exactly how we capture and display our images here on CN.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics