Jupiter Dec 17, 2012

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Last night the sky seemed clear and Jupiter was near zenith. I decided to take the Dob out even though it was getting late. I started at 200x but conditions wouldn't support it, settling at 160x even though that may have still been a bit too much. I had to finish by 11:30pm, like it or not, because by then the scope was pointing straight up and it looked like someone kept pouring buckets full of atmospheric funk into the tube.

Jupiter was showing its 'boring' side, which didn't seem all that boring to me. One of the first features to catch my attention was the very white ovals in the NEB. The first one was very prominent but the second one took a bit more effort to confirm. The NEB also seemed to display quite a bit of texture, indicating a lot of activity. The SEB was much more uniform and bland looking. When I observed the NTB It appeared bold and rough. There must have been quite a lot of swirling going on. The STB was quite the opposite, appearing very thin and light. The band along the equator had a ghostly character to it, appearing momentarily and mostly only showing one part or another. The NPC appeared bland and lighter than I have observed it, and I'm not sure if this was due to the observing conditions. The SPC was very light, so much so that one edge seemed to disappear at times. I did catch the dark partial band in the SPC, as well as the slight light streaks along both polar caps, especially the SPC.

Any color appearing in my sketch is due to scanning and posting. As noted, I could not see any color last night due to light pollution and humidity.

Ed D

NORME: I logged on after finishing my sketch and happened to see your latest Jupiter post. Although your sketch is in a class of its own, the similarities between your sketch and mine are pretty apparent. You and I observed the same side of Jupiter, although I'm sure it was 10hr or 20hr apart.

Attached Files

#2 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Ed.

Nice rendition of JupiterĀ­. Good work.

Andre.

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

ED! You captured that faint belt in the STZ. That thing is faint to my eyes, but most prominent on this "boring side." If you caught that hemisphere, our observations must have been about 10 hours apart, you're correct. It's the same one I observed. :lol:

Yes, those bright spots were very bright and appear to dig into the NEB. The NEB at this CM is pretty active, as you noted. I am happy you got to observe that activity. Yea, the SEB is much more difficult, it is pretty bland and hard to observe compared to the rifting in the NEB. It really requires great conditions to begin teasing out it's more difficult features.

Accidental or not, your scanned sketch shows very nicely, perfectly maybe, the subtle yet distinct hues of Jupiter. (in fact, it confused me for a moment, because the south looks as brown as the north on my monitor. No worries, got it sorted.) I am afraid to tone mine down so much out of fear of loosing that distinctness. This paint program I use is perfect for Jupiter. And it means no scanners, I don't have easy access to one, anyhow.

Ah, you observed with a 6", too! LOL Cool. Yea, I cannot tease out any northern polar cap, either. The SPC is a bit more prominent, along with banding and some faint white zones as you mention.

Anyway, nice observation, Ed. As you know, Jupiter has my complete attention. I am glad other folks are enjoying this apparition, this is not one to miss.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Ed,

Well done. A very respectable sketch of Jupiter showing fine detail.

Frank :)

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Your best yet by far. You are truly coming into your own here. The nice limb shading lends a 3d appearance and the smoothness of the belts and regions is well executed .

Pete

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

ED! You captured that faint belt in the STZ. That thing is faint to my eyes, but most prominent on this "boring side." .

This IS a neat emerging feature - faint to be sure but intriguing. Certain parts of it are clearly fainter than others, particularly faint is the hemisphere preceding the GRS which ses to continue quite a ways around the other side according to yours and Normes sketch.

You caught it well.

Pete

#7 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

I love the subtke detail in your sketch. Thank you for sharing.

#8 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

hi Ed,

Your sketch show interesting details in the NEB.

Bye Christian

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Ed,

Good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Ed, the details in the NEB are fantastic, and not just the white ovals but the variations in the band itself. And to echo Pete, the shading is very realistic... very 3D!

#11 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Ed,
Very nice rendering of Jupiter. Are those faint swirling by the STB on the right side of the image?

#12 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Ed,

Great sketch. The light patches int he NEB are impressive.

Thanks for posting. Dean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics