• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fvandrog

fvandrog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Need I say more.... :foreheadslap:

Especially the blue flashing ones from the neighbors give interesting effects.

F.

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

For the short time (for most) that Christmas decorations are up; I think being tolerant of others, to allow people to celebrate the Holiday, might be in order. I'm an avid observer, but I have some outside decorations up for the Holiday. It makes it much more cheerful. We have all the rest of the year to observe. :)

#3 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I wouldn't object to outside Christmas decorations for a few weeks a year. It is just those few who have to leave outside lights on nearly all the time so they feel "safer".

:shrug:

#4 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

For the short time (for most) that Christmas decorations are up; I think being tolerant of others, to allow people to celebrate the Holiday, might be in order. I'm an avid observer, but I have some outside decorations up for the Holiday. It makes it much more cheerful. We have all the rest of the year to observe. :)

:like:

-- Chris

#5 Orion64

Orion64

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Cape, South Africa

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

I wouldn't object to outside Christmas decorations for a few weeks a year. It is just those few who have to leave outside lights on nearly all the time so they feel "safer".

I feel ya!! :flame:

#6 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm certainly not a Grinch (I have a couple of strings of lights up myself) but some of these displays in my area could be seen from space.

Obviously, conspicuous consumption (and energy use) now again trumps modest use of outside light decoration.

:p

#7 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm certainly not a Grinch (I have a couple of strings of lights up myself) but some of these displays in my area could be seen from space.

Obviously, conspicuous consumption (and energy use) now again trumps modest use of outside light decoration.

Conspicuous is right - on my street it seems like the neighbors are having a contest to see which house can put the most outside lighting. It looks like the Disneyland Electrical Parade out there.

The US uses over 6 terawatt hours per year on Christmas lighting - enough to fully power 500,000 houses for an entire month (including HVAC systems).

I'm not a Grinch either, but this is just another example of gluttonous waste by US residents. Commerce & gluttony wins once again over prudence & moderation.

#8 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

I mostly observe from nearby rural sky. The Christmas lighting of some of the farms is always a seasonal treat, spread out around my horizon.

#9 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

It's only a couple of weeks, and lights/fires at night around the Solstice is a tradition that goes back at least 3000 years, so there's little hope of slowing it down now..... and with folks switching to LED lighting, power consumption is way down, so it's not all bad.

Problem is, around here, this season brings not only holiday lighting, but the opening of the downhill ski area about 10 miles south of me.......they run about 6 billion watts of lighting all night long, both to advertise it, and to light the hill so the snowmakers/groomers can see to work. While I applaud their efforts to be carbon-neutral - they put up a big wind generator a year ago, which makes nearly as much electricity over the year as they use during the ski season, the skyglow can reach nearly the zenith, which is not so nice........
Russ

#10 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

I found at least locally folks turn the Christmas lights off around 10 -11 PM. I just don't understand the spotlights that all shine up in the air to light trees year round.

#11 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I understand the equipment aspect, but what is this "viewing" you all speak about, and what are "clear skies"?

#12 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I understand the equipment aspect, but what is this "viewing" you all speak about, and what are "clear skies"?

Agreed...I'm beginning to wonder if all the money I've invested in astronomy equipment is going to pay off in being able to use it.

Besides the issue of light pollution, there is the effect of climate change on clear skies.

#13 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Home run! :woohoo:

#14 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Don't observe much between Thanksgiving and XMAS because of the lights; but it does make the family and community more cheerful. I only ask the neighbors to turn off their lights the rest of the year when I am out observing (normally first asking them if they would like to join me).

#15 evil16v

evil16v

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.E. Kansas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

Home run! :woohoo:

I'll go X3 on that.

#16 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Bah .....Humbug!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics