Observing Report - Mare Serenitatis Region

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

• Loc: VA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

I went out for a quick viewing session this evening after checking the forecast and saw that it was going to cloud up by 8pm local. So what was visible? Luna! :grin: Using my TEC-140 and 11mm Nagler Luna was framed nicely with a jet black background and very good detail. Then I noticed what looked like a rille just south of Mare Serenitatis. Later after charting this feature I discovered it was Rima Ariadaeus. Between Rima Ariadaeus and Mare Serenitatis was Crater Juilus Caesar. The rims of the crater showed lots of detail. I quickly moved up to Mare Serenitatis and was amazed at the number of craters and craterlets in this mare. I moved down to a 7mm Nagler and started counted. 1,2,3…33,34,35. It was very nice just to get out, but even nicer to have been able to see some lunar features I haven’t observed before. :jump:

#2 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germantown, MD

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

:like:

Sounds like a good night! I've been stuck with clouds and now rain all week. :bangbangbang:

#3 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

• Loc: VA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

I hear ya. It's clear, chilly and windy for last few days which is a recipe for bad seeing. So chances of observing isn't looking good for me.

#4 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Caesar's Horseshoe. I like that area. Seen it many times :waytogo:

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics