Polar Shift

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 echoes1961

echoes1961

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hey all..I was wondering if the earth experienced a polar shift (again), Do scientist or astronomers know more or less how much of a shift the earth would get?

And also how far a shift? Would we all of a sudden be able to view the southern skies?

It would be a very strange event, our sun moon & planets could be in our Northern skies here in America.

And finally, if there's going to be some sort of change or new event on Dec-21st....like the Mayans forecasted, I would think a polar shifting of the earth would fit the bill. Ya never know?

Thanks for reading.

#2 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Quote:
"And also how far a shift? Would we all of a sudden be able to view the southern skies?"
A sudden shift of that magnitude would result in everything loosely attached to the Earth's surface continuing in motion at hundreds of miles per hour. One would indeed be seeing stars but not necessarily southern ones.

#3 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Quote:
"And also how far a shift? Would we all of a sudden be able to view the southern skies?"
A sudden shift of that magnitude would result in everything loosely attached to the Earth's surface continuing in motion at hundreds of miles per hour. One would indeed be seeing stars but not necessarily southern ones.

:funny:

#4 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I love Red Green!!

-- Chris

#5 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Yes, We do know.

The "polar shift" is a shift in the magnetic pole. Not flipping the planet! The north arrow of a compass would point south. No more, no less.

It takes many hundreds of years to fully shift.

Nothing but silly fear-mongering to say otherwise.

#6 Seldom

Seldom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hey all..I was wondering if the earth experienced a polar shift (again), Do scientist or astronomers know more or less how much of a shift the earth would get?

Just been reading about this. If you mean how much does Polaris move, it's continuous, about 1 degree every 70 years, but it's because the earth's axis wobbles because of the combined attraction of the sun and the moon. This has caused the equinox to move from Aries when the Greeks (and Babylonians?) were figuring this out to Pisces now.

The earth's magnetic field also moves from end to end (per BSJ) every few thousand years (10?,20?), but I don't know if this affects anything astronomical.

#7 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

The magnetic pole is always on the move. A complete pole reversal is a very rare event!
Best documentary on the subject = Is the magnetic pole about to flip? (2009 by Stéphane Nicolopoulos)

:graduate:

#8 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yes, We do know.

The "polar shift" is a shift in the magnetic pole. Not flipping the planet! The north arrow of a compass would point south. No more, no less.

It takes many hundreds of years to fully shift.

Nothing but silly fear-mongering to say otherwise.

Wait - I thought the whole visible universe was supposed to suddenly rotate 180 degrees! :question:

#9 Seldom

Seldom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

A complete pole reversal is a very rare event!

Depends on your time frame. Looks to me like it happens all the time, just not during my time.

From WikiPedia:

The rate of reversals in the Earth's magnetic field has varied widely over time. 72 million years ago (Ma), the field reversed 5 times in a million years. In a 4-million-year period centered on 54 Ma, there were 10 reversals; at around 42 Ma, 17 reversals took place in the span of 3 million years. In a period of 3 million years centering on 24 Ma, 13 reversals occurred. No fewer than 51 reversals occurred in a 12-million-year period, centering on 15 million years ago. Two reversals occurred during a span of 50,000 years. These eras of frequent reversals have been counterbalanced by a few "superchrons" – long periods when no reversals took place.

#10 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Don't forget the continents on their tectonic plates are moving with respect to the axis of the earth at a few cm/year. It will take a while before we get significantly different views due to this, however.

#11 echoes1961

echoes1961

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm thinking more along the lines of the whole planet moving back to a 90 degrees. Right now the earth is at a 23 degree angle so that is why we have the four seasons as the earth travels around the sun. If it were to right-itself there would be no more seasons? Sorry if that doesn't make sense but it's something like that?

So that's the polar shifting I'm thinking of...the planet moving, and if the planet moves so will the magnatic field and there will be only one season per-year.

#12 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

"moving back to a 90 degrees" Not going to happen.

#13 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

The sheer momentum or our rotating planet cannot allow 'sudden' shifts in its rotation axis on any significant scale. Big events such as the massive earthquake in Japan do cause shifts on the order of centimeters, which corresponds to an angular change of something like 1/10 of an arcsecond. That's about the degree of change we could ever see in a lifetime. Our axial tilt of 23-1/2 degrees has been maintained for many millions of years. The movement of the continental plates as they slip and slide over the mantle is *vastly* greater and more significant.

Where do people come up with these notions of such cataclysmic changes as sudden axial shifts of many degrees? Simply because of our very limited lifespan; our limited horizon timewise can lead to the erroneous internalization of our existence marking a significant interval of time in the course of things. (Man-induced effects such as climate change excepted.)

#14 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

And also how far a shift? Would we all of a sudden be able to view the southern skies?

It would be a very strange event, our sun moon & planets could be in our Northern skies here in America.

And finally, if there's going to be some sort of change or new event on Dec-21st....like the Mayans forecasted, I would think a polar shifting of the earth would fit the bill. Ya never know?

Thanks for reading.

Is it April 1 already ???

#15 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm thinking more along the lines of the whole planet moving back to a 90 degrees. Right now the earth is at a 23 degree angle so that is why we have the four seasons as the earth travels around the sun. If it were to right-itself there would be no more seasons? Sorry if that doesn't make sense but it's something like that?

So that's the polar shifting I'm thinking of...the planet moving, and if the planet moves so will the magnatic field and there will be only one season per-year.

There is also another reason for the seasons which is the Earth's distance from the sun. Although it only accounts for a few percentage points of temperature change and in the northern hemisphere's current summer we are furthest from the sun.

#16 echoes1961

echoes1961

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

There is also another reason for the seasons which is the Earth's distance from the sun. Although it only accounts for a few percentage points of temperature change and in the northern hemisphere's current summer we are furthest from the sun.

Yes.. but the angle of the earth is the main game changer when it comes to temperature. That's why it would be cool to get the earth upright and not on a slant. I mean why do we have to have 4 seasons?

Actually since the earth is closer to the sun in the winter time, it would be called summer if the earth was at 90 degrees, and summer is when the sun is actually farther away in distance so we would have to switch things around. Kind of weird how much that would change things.
Plus we would have exactly 12 hours of daytime and 12 hours of night....everything would equal out for the most part. Makes ya think?

#17 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

No, it doesn't. It is called summer in the southern hemisphere.
Anyway, I like seasons.

#18 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Yes.. but the angle of the earth is the main game changer when it comes to temperature. That's why it would be cool to get the earth upright and not on a slant. I mean why do we have to have 4 seasons?

Actually since the earth is closer to the sun in the winter time, it would be called summer if the earth was at 90 degrees, and summer is when the sun is actually farther away in distance so we would have to switch things around. Kind of weird how much that would change things.
Plus we would have exactly 12 hours of daytime and 12 hours of night....everything would equal out for the most part. Makes ya think?

I am kinda thinking that it was designed perfectly the way it is.

#19 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm thinking it wasn't designed. It just is, and we're well adapted to it, if not perfectly so. Call it the luck of the draw.

#20 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Actually, sometimes the pole does shift around.
Who was the first to the north pole; Byrd? Peary? Amundsen? I don't remember, but I heard somewhere that it was shifting all around then, and they had a hell of a time running around after it, trying to pin that candy-cane marker right on it.

#21 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Here, There and Everywhere

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

It took a jump a few years ago to the West. So much so with that and the movement over the years, Miami airport had to re-do the orientation on it's runways.
When we moved in to our house 8 years ago the magnetic deviation was 4 and now it's 7 degrees.

#22 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

try this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Axial_tilt

For the past 5 million years, Earth's obliquity has varied between 22° 02' 33" and 24° 30' 16", with a mean period of 41,040 years. This cycle is a combination of precession and the largest term in the motion of the ecliptic. For the next 1 million years, the cycle will carry the obliquity between 22° 13' 44" and 24° 20' 50".

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics