5 replies to this topic

#1 kamanetzki

kamanetzki

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi
I've just joined the forum today. Based in London, UK where it's 6C and pouring with rain.
I'm pretty sure I want to purchase Celestron Nexstar 8SE scope (mainly for viewing) but have heard that the Celestron Nexstar (mount) & tripod is rather flimsy and vibrates rather badly with the 8SE. The mount retails in the UK for approx £500 ($800). Mad price, I know!
Would the iOptron MiniTower V2 GoTo altazimuth (£800 or $1300) be a significant upgrade in terms of vibration, viewing experience, quality or as a relative newbie, would I be better to stick with the Celestron mount and tripod as it comes in the package?
Any other comments which you have would also be appreciated.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

I've used a fellow club member's NS8i frequently and have never found it overly shaky. I do not believe the iOptron would be a significant improvement in any way and IMHO the NexStaar HC is far superior.

#3 kamanetzki

kamanetzki

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Rod
When you say "NexStaar HC is far superior" is the HC the Hand Controller and is that superior to the Ioptron HC? I presume that you found the tripod steady.

Attached Files

#4 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

The Nexstar SE mount is designed to carry the 6 and 8 inch Celestron OTAs. It's not robust (for the price and portability it would not be) but it is certainly stable enough for those scopes. Some folks hang their power pack or a comparable weight from the eyepiece tray to add a little stability. I have had two of them, plus the slightly smaller SLT nount, and agree with Rod that the hand controller is probably the simplest and most intuitive on the market. The only drawback to the Nexstar mount vs.the minitower is that it is not as easy to mount a longer refractor on it because the eyepiece may clonk the base near zenith, which is not a factor with the ioptron design.

#5 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

The Nexstar SE mount is designed to carry the 6 and 8 inch Celestron OTAs. It's not robust (for the price and portability it would not be) but it is certainly stable enough for those scopes. Some folks hang their power pack or a comparable weight from the eyepiece tray to add a little stability. I have had two of them, plus the slightly smaller SLT nount, and agree with Rod that the hand controller is probably the simplest and most intuitive on the market. The only drawback to the Nexstar mount vs.the minitower is that it is not as easy to mount a longer refractor on it because the eyepiece may clonk the base near zenith, which is not a factor with the ioptron design.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Thanks Rod
When you say "NexStaar HC is far superior" is the HC the Hand Controller and is that superior to the Ioptron HC? I presume that you found the tripod steady.

Yes, I mean the HC and the firmware in it. Stability wise I have never noted a huge problem with the NS8. Seems fine for visual to me.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics