• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Karr24

Karr24

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NPR, Florida

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

I need to get a AC to DC adapter so I can use the mount in the back yard. $1,500 dollars you would think it would come with one.

It says the Orion 2 Amp AC-to-12V DC Power Adapter is rated at 12v 2amps. Any reason this wouldn't work? Only $10 bucks and I can have it in two days.

http://www.amazon.co.../B0066AZBP2/...

#2 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

That should work just fine.
It needs to have a Positive(+) tip/center pin. If they don't state anything, they are normally that way.

#3 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Orion also sells a 5 amp model. nice to have the extra push if needed...

#4 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

If there is a Radio Shack near you try that as well. They have a number of those with multi tip adapters.

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

2 amps is the minimum. I would suggest 3-5 amps. Most of these mounts do strange things when the power is insufficient.

#6 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Ed is correct. Two amps is really walking the fence on the Synta mounts during fast slews (I use my Atlas often for satellite tracking), especially if you are at all out of perfect balance. As Gonzo mentions, Orion has a 5 amp converter. I've been using it for about two years, always stays outdoors in the weather, with no problems:

Orion 5 amp converter

The converter, of course, only provides the current demanded.

#7 Karr24

Karr24

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NPR, Florida

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thanks guys. Going to go ahead and order the 5 Amp AC-to-12V DC Power Adapter. Just wanted to make sure so I dont blow up a 1,500 mount on my first light.

#8 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I might have missed something but why do you want an AC/DC converter as opposed to a 12 volt power tank (car jump starter or RV battery)? The ac/dc unit would not protect your EQ electronics from surges and spikes and might not be as smooth in its DC as a battery. I have an EQ6 and at the time I already had a 5 amp AC to DC power supply but dealing with an extension cord was a hassle as was the inline surge protector (as in a computer back-up power box) so I just went to an auto parts store and got a 80 ah jump starter for about 50 bucks.

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

A reasonable quality and properly designed regulated 12v power supply certainly does not pass surges or most voltage spikes. You power company usually takes care of any serious voltage spikes (although in some rural areas there are certainly times when that doesn't occur).

A DC battery is certainly a flat voltage source but the tiny amount of ripple and noise on good power supplies poses no risk to any electronic gear. Batteries vary the voltage as the battery is depleted. If you deplete a battery down too far (usually down below 11-10.5v) you'll start to get strange problems with many mounts. You need to correctly size a battery to match your power needs (mount, dew strips, cameras, etc.) and you need to treat the battery with care (don't deplete it too far, recharge after every use or two, etc.).

Both technologies have their good and bad points, and anyone making the choice should be aware of those differences.

I agree there are times when a battery is a good and convenient choice but no one should be afraid of using a good AC 12v power supply with their scope/mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics