On new cpc is this normal/acceptable?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

as i posted before here is how the mirror looks on my brand new cpc1100.is the state of the mirror normal/acceptable.what is worrying is the small hairline cracks/scratches that are not hairs.the vendor fobbed me off with a ten dollar stars and planets book as compensation ! i haven't touched it.

Attached Files

#2 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

photo2

Attached Files

#3 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

photo3

Attached Files

#4 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

photo4

Attached Files

#5 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Nothing there will affect the view.

However - for a brand new scope, if they have another - I would take it back and check the others optics prior to swapping.

To ease your mind though - you could have 4-5X as much dust / hairs / etc as that before it would affect the images.

The line looks like either a hair or possibly a sleek or something. If you can't get past it, swap the scope.

Whatever you do - dont try to clean it. You will end up worse than you started if you dont know what you are doing...

#6 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Also - and I always ask this and rarely get a response... I dont understand why...

Where are you located?

Because - if you were near *me* I would have a look and see about using a lens brush to clean it properly if it really bothers you...

I just read your other posts and am up to speed now..

You have unfortunately found out the hard way that cleaning can make things worse.

Decide right away if you can live with it or not.

If you cant - return it.

If you can - then live with it until it *needs* cleaning or you want to do something to it like flock the tube and need to open it. I would do this *after* the warranty period.

Now - if it were mine. A new scope I would leave alone and not worry about it.

A used scope I would pop the corrector, double check the primary and corrector to make sure it wasnt a scratch (I'm sure its not). Then I would likley leave the primary alone and brush off the secondary and live with it.

#7 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Sorry - one last thing..

You do know that you NEVER point a flashlight into a telescope, right? :)

All scopes have dust - flashlights make them look terrible even when they aren't. Its not a fair test.

#8 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 37°50'N

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

If you are in the USA and if you bought the scope from an authorized dealer, you should have no difficulty with an exchange during the first 30 days. You also have the option calling Celestron. If they agree that the thin mark is a flaw under the warranty and give you an RO number, they will pay the freight both ways.

But, you will not have the scope for a calendar month or more.

I agree with all of the others however, a little dust should not be an issue. But the streak or scratch is not something I would be happy to see on a brand new scope.

By the way I could not tell if your scope has a Fastar ready secondary. If it does not then you have an older scope, new perhaps but not current production.

What I would do if your weather is kind, is star test the scope and also check on the amount of image shift as you focus or move the tube. Why? A year ago I received a CPC925 that had a damn near perfect star test and negligable mirror shift. I could not accept the large dent in the tube or scratch on the fork and exchanged it. The replacement looked better but was not as good optically. Not bad but just not as good.

Good luck whatever you decide. This is a nice scope and you will enjoy it.

#9 yonkrz

yonkrz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Minnesota

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Get a new one,you paid for new but with a small defect,so you should have no trouble asking and receiving a new one.not a big deal but thats not the point. :smirk:

#10 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

It will not make a difference in observing, but it would make a difference if you eventually chose to resell it. I'd request a new one for that reason alone.

#11 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

Let me ask the obvious questions. Have you tried the scope? If so, how did it perform?

A piece of dust or sleek is meaningless. Point a flashlight at any telescope and you're likely to see all kinds of things. Much more important is how the telescope tracks, locates objects, and how objects look through the eyepiece.

Do yourself a favor and put the scope through it's paces before doing anything else. If it works to your satisfaction, keep it. If not, then ask for a replacement.

These are 'mass-produced' telescopes. Even though we don't think of them as "inexpensive", compared to an AstroPhysics or Takahashi refractor, they're a bargain.

Someone looking for "cosmetic perfection" may be disappointed. But the reality is that these scopes actually perform very well.

Don:usa:

#12 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

I'm located in Scotland so nowhere near any of you folks likely. It's a mixed bag of advice. The lines are not hairs or sleeks, the are definite cracks or scratches.Theres a few more of them I couldn't get into shot.it has a Fastar. I've tried and tested the scope and works fine regarding tracking etc. I don't mean to be an *BLEEP* with this but it's been niggling me now ever since I got it returned.i think we pay a fair

#13 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

I'm located in Scotland so nowhere near any of you folks likely. It's a mixed bag of advice. The lines are not hairs or sleeks, the are definite cracks or scratches.Theres a few more of them I couldn't get into shot.it has a Fastar. I've tried and tested the scope and works fine regarding tracking etc. I don't mean to be an *BLEEP* with all this but it's been niggling me now ever since I got had the scope returned after 'cleaning'.i think we pay a fair whack more for our telescopes here in the uk as this was $4000-$4600.! I'll send the photos to the vendor. Thankyou for the advice.sorry if I haven't responded but I can only get online with my iPhone and mobile signals in Scotland are pre-Cambrian.

#14 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

If possible I would return it....if for nothing else than if you were ever to resell it would limit the scope's appeal to a potential buyer.

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

It is impossible to tell the condition of your mirror/corrector from these pictures. A bright oblique light will make any optic look horrible. The scope is not air tight, and there will always/eventually be a little dust on it. It will not affect views. Leave it alone; get out and enjoy it.

#16 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I wouldn't worry about dust but if the "line" is truly a scratch or crack, it could get worse. I would exchange it.

If your scope is a Fastar, you could remove the secondary mirror and try to blow away the "line" and hoping it's a hair, string, thread, etc.

Peter

#17 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I asked about this when I first got my scope.

Posted Image

I was concerned, then Unky Rod told me not to worry my pretty little head about such trifling matters. I forgot all about it until now, it's never effected my views. I always figured I'd eventually clean it one day (when I decide to take it apart and 'improve' it).

#18 shiner

shiner

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: England

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Always remember any perceived scratch will affect the resale value. Think about it, would *you* want to buy such a scope from someone privately? Of course not.

Return it without delay, even if it does not make a difference to the views. Snowboy, where did you buy it in the UK? You are covered under the sales of good act. Any reputable dealer will sort this out without issue.

#19 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thankyou Shiner. Yes I bought it in the uk. I will contect the vendor tomorrow and let you know my progress. Thank you very much for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on . Many thanks sbc

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics