Mallincam Xtreme vs large dobs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have a post over in the Deep Sky forum asking observers to compare what they can see visually vs. my first successful night out with my Xtr. Since it's basically a post about observing, I started it over there, but I thought it might interest you here.

http://www.cloudynig...5581110/page...

/Ira

#2 skyguy88

skyguy88

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi Ira, so you are finally getting to it. I remember your first post inquiring about the Mallincam...and your travails with customs. I'm surprised that you didn't include M42, it's really the best target (along with M51) this time of year. While you are in Orion, check out the flame, NGC 2024. The sculptor gxy, ngc 253 is stunning...and there are so many more.

Enjoy,

Bill

#3 Sluggosalinas

Sluggosalinas

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Madeira Beach, FL

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Your question and the interesting responses over there really strike close to home for me, Ira. I have a similar-sized scope and have been bugging the folks on this forum for info about the Mallincams over the last few weeks. I hadn't formulated the question you asked in my own mind, but it makes sense to me. You've just pushed me closer to pulling the trigger on the Mallincam.

#4 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

The funny thing is, while I'm tempted to go the traditional route for video assisted veiwing - which is where you mostly spend money on a EQ mount. The fact that I am not into imaging, but live and/or close to live views makes me think that a large & fast mirror is where my money should be spent.

#5 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

The funny thing is, while I'm tempted to go the traditional route for video assisted veiwing - which is where you mostly spend money on a EQ mount. The fact that I am not into imaging, but live and/or close to live views makes me think that a large & fast mirror is where my money should be spent.

I am using an iOptron MiniTower Pro, a guided alt-az mount. Most of the time I can get exposures of up to 45 seconds with no trouble, and that brings in a heap of dim objects. I don't have the time to set up a polar aligned mount.

/Ira

#6 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Your question and the interesting responses over there really strike close to home for me, Ira. I have a similar-sized scope and have been bugging the folks on this forum for info about the Mallincams over the last few weeks. I hadn't formulated the question you asked in my own mind, but it makes sense to me. You've just pushed me closer to pulling the trigger on the Mallincam.

You won't regret it. It's really not like imaging at all, but I didn't want to get into it in that particular post. Nor, of course is it like looking through an eyepiece, but it's alot closer to observing than it is to imaging. :refractor: :photo: :dob:

/Ira

#7 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hi Ira, so you are finally getting to it. I remember your first post inquiring about the Mallincam...and your travails with customs. I'm surprised that you didn't include M42, it's really the best target (along with M51) this time of year. While you are in Orion, check out the flame, NGC 2024. The sculptor gxy, ngc 253 is stunning...and there are so many more.

Enjoy,

Bill

Bill,
Yes, it took forever. In fact, it wasn't until I discovered an old 4" DC-powered LCD monitor that I had the energy to go up the learning curve. Starting with a computer, frame grabber, etc. was a non-starter for me. Anyway, once I got out with the TV it was easier than I thought. The ironic thing is that the dang wireless timer that got it hung up in customs for so long was broken, so Jack had to send me another! This time I had him label it "camera timer", and it didn't even stop in customs.

Here's M42, it is indeed the most amazing of all the objects I have viewed. What the folks over in the Deep Sky Observing Forum don't seem to realize is that you video-observe it at everything from 1 second to many seconds of time and build up a mental image of it just as you build up a mental image when you observe visually. This never dawned on me until I actually started using the Mallincam myself.

/Ira

Attached Files

#8 skyguy88

skyguy88

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Ira,
Once you begin to get comfortable with the camera, the learning curve is really fun. If you are doing group programs and you have good western view, you can create a wonderful presentation using M 42, M 1, and M 27...spanning the full stellar cycle from star formation to Planetary and S/N. If you haven't seen M 27, make a point of it before it leaves for the season. NGC 891 is wonderful. I see that you've found M82. Try it's neighbor, M81. 81 is more challenging but worth the effort.

Lots of folks are wedded to visual. That's fine. There are also lots of long time observers who had lost interest until video came along.

For me, seeing things in real detail reinforces my excitement with the science. Seeing the brilliant green in M 27 and thinking about that sea of oxygen is really exciting. With some of the face on spirals you can bring out the red emission nebulae in the arms...just like the MW. And sometimes a S/N shows up and you can see how close its luminosity is to that of its whole galaxy...and then there are comets.

There are always more interesting themes than I can cram into a public evening. What a joy!.

One more thing. You might want to try more focal reduction. It sharpens the views, brightens objects, and makes it easier on your go-to performance.

Regards,

Bill

#9 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

I don't view this as a contest videoastro (NOT restricted to Mallincam only but all video astro cameras) versus big dobs. I view this as completing each other . Whatever telescope(s) you own, a reasonably sensitive astro video cam allows you to see much deeper , stuff that you simply couldn't see at all with your scope . On the other hand, using your scope visually, with good eyepieces and maybe a binoviewer, is a great experience . The eyepiece , astro video cam, CCD imager, image intensifier are all great tools that allow your scope to be more versatile, see more stuff without having to buy a scope 3 times larger and 50 times more expensive .

#10 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

I enjoy observing with both my cameras and my eyes and I find that the two experiences are compatible but not comparable. Cameras help to make the invisible visible, which is really neat, but I have yet to see a camera of any sort that can capture the subtle beauty of the real thing.

Have fun with whatever method you use to enjoy your hobby.

#11 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

I enjoy observing with both my cameras and my eyes and I find that the two experiences are compatible but not comparable. Cameras help to make the invisible visible, which is really neat, but I have yet to see a camera of any sort that can capture the subtle beauty of the real thing.

Have fun with whatever method you use to enjoy your hobby.

+1 :waytogo:

#12 a__l

a__l

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

Question for users Mallincam on Dobs (Newts).
I want to determine the position of the focus for this camera.
The focuser on my Dob set to eyepieces Ethos-17,21 and Nagler-31.
Here http://www.televue.c...page.asp?id=214
Eyepiece Specifications for TV eyepieces.
Table Notes F - Approx. location of field stop (negative number is above reference surface).
For E-21, 17 and N-31, respectively -0.38, -0.39 and -0.38.
This is the minimum benchmark. Below focuser travel impossible.
If you remove the Mallincam (focus OK) and set TV eyepiece. Which TV eyepiece is in focus (does not need to turn the knob focuser)? Or near the to the focus?
If you are using a 1.25/2" adapter for Mallincam or desired TV eyepiece I also need an height adapter on above surface focuser.
If the TV eyepiece is 1.25/2" skirt, it is correct to use a 2" eyepiece position.
Thanks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics