CGEM 8inch EdgeHD weight question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 04yellowf150

04yellowf150

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Would the CGEM 8in HD model be able to support a piggy backed camera for wide field as well as a dslr attached to the telescope for imaging?? Or would 2 dslr's be to much for this mount along with the scope? The dslrs would be canon t2i(550d) and the lens would be no more than 300mm.
Any help would be much appreciated it. Thanks!

#2 AstroRick

AstroRick

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I don't think that weight is the issue. Having a convenient mount point may be more of a problem, especially if you already have a guidescope mounted on the dovetail bar.

I have done almost that, with my 5" refractor on my CGEM, a CCD camera with off-axis guider at the rear, and my DSLR piggybacked on the otherwise empty dovetail bar up near the front. I used ImagesPlus to control the CCD camera, BackyardEOS to control the DSLR, and PHD for guiding. Good thing I have a lot of USB ports!

I was worried about mirror flip on the DSLR messing an ongoing exposure with the CCD camera, but did not have a problem.

Rick Burke

#3 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

The additional weight shouldn't be a problem. AS Rick was touching on, you will need to find a good way to mount it. For a 300mm lens, a set of ring might be required.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics