Photo

Poor cases, why?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Why do binos come with poor cases?,a few years back even inexpensive binoculars like Bushnel Ensign,s came in a hard case with lots of room and a metal spring clip style for the case closure, inexpensive Swift Tecnars and Russian Tento,s came with a hard case made out of leather.
Now its softcases which offer very little protection, they are often too small and result in the caps falling off as you fight to remove the binocular from the case,throw in flimsy plastic zip fasteners that break after a bit of use and its a waste of time.
Another pet peeve is Velcro fateners on the case, all that stuff does is get hooked up on the strap,very frustrating,DA.

#2 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

As long as people are willing to extol wkrap as excellence, it will continue to happen. When you cater to the lowest common denominator, that denominator has no cause to stop going lower. If WE'RE willing to buy it, why should THEY have to rethink their marketing strategy? :crazy:

One would think that with our advances in science and technology, Americans would be getting more wary and intelligent across the board. But, judging by the emails I get each day, riddled with dubious text and photos, I see it just isn’t so.

Two days ago, I got a video of the “world’s most magnificent music box.” It was a stringed instrument with necks of various lengths that played itself! Not only was it something that showed itself to be a VERY good computer animation, anyone who knew anything about music or mechanics could tell it was as phony as a 3-dollar bill. Yet, it will probably be going around the internet for years . . . as REAL! :foreheadslap:

We are all blessed with ignorance of certain things; that’s just us being human. But, when we choose to ignore common sense too long, that ignorance will metastasize into stupidity. At that point, there is no cure.

Humbug, Bah!

Ghost of the Curmudgeon, :jump:

BillC

#3 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Poor cases? Really? It puzzles me that it puzzles you.

Money is, always has been, and always will be the reason for a decline in design, material or production quality of everything.

#4 rydberg

rydberg

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, KY, USA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

I just appointed myself as Chairman of the "dead horse committee" (this might get me kicked off, who knows), but here it goes:

Look at this AD, purportedly from 1950:
LINK

Bausch & Lomb Zephyr Light with Balcoted Optics (uhmm, b.s. even in 1950...), Cost $155.
I am sure it came with a case.

But $155 (in let's say 1955 for prudence as the AD looks newer than 1950) is worth about $1300 to $1400 today. A good pair (probably much better than the Balcoted Zephyr of 1955) of 7x35's can be had today for $400-600. You get a decent case with those. It is with the $47.50 models that you don't.
Marco

#5 gwd

gwd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

This image is from a 1950 B&L catalog. The prices ranged from $155-$170. The 7x50 IF came with a plastic case but the others with leather cases. I've been happy with recent cases. If I rank my binos in order of inflation adjusted price or in order of case quality, I get the same ordering.

Attached Files

#6 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

• Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

How ironic! I have just been complaining how cheap and flimsy the case supplied with my Nikon 8x32 se was.
I have just bought a used Nikon 8x30EII without a case as the original blew off a cliff in windy Cornwall when the old owner was not looking!
So they are in a case supplied with a cheap Chinese binocular,this case is far superior in quality to the SE's offering!

#7 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

When I recently purchased a new Nikon 8x30 EII I spent a bit extra and bought a Lowepro case to go with it.

Attached Files

#8 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Found this link to a nice leather case for a Nikon camera.

web page

I guess it all comes down to the cost and what the buyer is willing to pay for.

#9 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Heck, just make your own out of some plywood and foam. Then you can make it as strong as you like.

Attached Files

#10 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I hate hard cases, both for telescopes and binoculars. They're heavy, clunky, and hard to transport. Ideally, the scope and/or binoculars should be sturdy enough to do well in a soft case. As long as you don't drop them, of course.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I hate hard cases, both for telescopes and binoculars. They're heavy, clunky, and hard to transport. Ideally, the scope and/or binoculars should be sturdy enough to do well in a soft case. As long as you don't drop them, of course.

:waytogo:

A hard case probably provides no more protection than a softcase... Dropping either is a poor idea.

Jon

#12 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

When I bought my Nikon 18x70, it came with a cheap carrying-case made of artificial (cardboard-) "leather".
After I realized what a wonderful instrument it actually was, I bedded it in a Peli-1450 case - it just deserved it...

Chris

#13 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I don't get too excited about this issue. Hard or soft. With a strap or without a strap. Velcro or no velcro. If I want a better case, I know what to do.

BUT!!!...

The one darn thing that has irritated me is the plastic handle on the "hard" case with foam linings that Garrett Optical provides for the Signature Series 15x70 (Kunming United Optics BA8 Series). It snapped as I approached my living-room couch. The case and binocular were only a few inches above the couch cushions. A soft landing! Lucky me!

Heads up, gang! Or binoculars down!

#14 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

Yes, the older hard cases do little to protect anyway.

My Steiners came in a very nice leather semi-hard case with really nice lens covers and a rain guard. Same with the Vanguard only a heavy codura rather than the leather. Nice quick release on the bino strap that will clip into the case if you wish. Well thought out IMHO.

Here is a tip if you want a great deal on a case. Cabela's "Bargain Cave". Not the on-line one but in the store. Great cases complete with caps and straps for around 8 to 20 bucks. Must be from display binos that "disappeared". Nikon, Bushnell, Ziess etc.. Nice stuff.

#15 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

Found this link to a nice leather case for a Nikon camera.

web page

I guess it all comes down to the cost and what the buyer is willing to pay for.

Unfortunately this is a case for a compact camera, far to small for an 8x30.

#16 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

Yeah you're right Simon. I guess it illustrates that Nikon can still supply nice leather cases for their products if buyers are willing to pay for them. I imagine they sell 10 cameras for every binocular they produce.

There may be some buyers who just want the best price for the binocular and don't want to be paying for a (nice leather) case they may not want.

#17 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

The camera this case is intended for costs a small fortune itself!
I know the old leather cases provided with the millions of Porros out there protected the contents to some degree, but over time the internals denigrate and shed dust all over the binocular.
One of the best cases are the type supplied with the B&L 7x50 M# models. These are solid with a leather clasp and a pin on the bottom of the case to clip the clap closed.
Trouble is they wont stand up with the pin on the base of the case!

#18 Lt 26

Lt 26

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

I don't mind the soft case that comes with the Nikon SE's. Stays on while you have them around your neck and then gets out of the way without being attached. Like it more the more I us it. A nice leather case just like it would be neat but then you would need an all leather neck strap to match.

Andy, how about a pic of those EII's for us deprived stateside.

Dereck

#19 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hi Dereck, I wrote about it on Birdforum, here is the link.

web page

Attached Files

#20 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

When I recently purchased a new Nikon 8x30 EII I spent a bit extra and bought a Lowepro case to go with it.

Hello Plyscope,

That Nikon case is almost identical to the one that came with an 8x32 SE. In my limited experience Nikon is egregious in providing a near useless case for a binocular in the US$600 range. Their rain guard and objective covers were also sub standard. I ended up buying a Zeiss rain guard, and caps on the after market, but that all went to the fellow who bought the binocular from me.

Clear skies,
Arthur Pinewood

#21 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'm happy with the plastic objective covers on the little Nikon. The Swarovski Habicht 8x30W has no objective covers supplied at all and the rainguard is not large enough to cover the full range of IPD adjustment. The soft case is better than the Nikon one but still does not offer much protection.

Today I recieved a new Steiner 7x30 Commander XP. It has good objective covers that stay with the bino and the raingaurd is reasonable. The soft case is the best I've seen supplied as standard equipment. It has it's own strap and a good zip. The bigger 7x50 version comes with a wooden case.

Attached Files

#22 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hello,

The nicest accessories came with my Ziess 8x32 FL: a nice Cordura case, with room for a small notebook or pad, tethered objective covers and a rain guard which stays on the binocular. A nylon case is not much protection but the binocular is very rugged, so it protects against scrapes, protruding objects and one's own fingers. In fact, I use it only for storage because, that binocular is never subjected to hardships and the covers and rain guard provide ample protection without hindering use or access.

Clear skies,
Arthur

#23 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

My Browning 8X42 came with well fitting plastic objective covers and tethered rubberized ocular covers. The padded case is lightweight but nicely protective. A leather case would be very nice, but no better functionally, and probably as expensive as the binocular (leather is expensive).

This binocular has been discontinued (some years ago), and was probably too expensive for Browning to sell at the price the market is willing to bear. I got it on a Sierra Trading Post clearance very cheaply.

It is Japanese made (yes, that is clear on the binocular) and phase coated. A very nice instrument probably most closely related to a Bushnell model (and probably made by the same Japanese supplier, which is probably out of business by now).

Here's what it looked like when it was still available.

Browning 8X42

#24 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

Since lens caps have been entered into the discussion,I will take this opportunity to say that TETHERED caps of any description annoy me.

My Zeiss 7 x 42 BGAT came without any objective caps at all, but with one of those one-piece attached rain guards that always seemed to get in the way,so I removed it.

Similarly,the Helmsman 7x50 arrived with tethered objective caps that tended to dangle in a most ungamely manner,so they too were promptly cut and removed.

Kenny

#25 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

Kenny, agree with you on the tethered caps. The Nikon E's caps are in your mouth when viewing through them.
At least there the right shape to make me look like I am smiling!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics