A Comet as a challenge for beginners.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

I logged C/2012 K5 Linear tonight in Taurus. It was around a degree north east of 103 Tau. With averted vision, I could easily see the tail fanning out. I caught it while it was occulting a field star and I watched it for about 20 minutes while it moved around 3-4 minutes of arc. It was moving pretty fast!

After about 20 minutes the corrector plate froze up so I put the scope away and went in to warm up in front of the fire. :) This is the fourth comet I've observed since Garradd in 2011. Not a lot for seasoned comet hunters, but that's one more than I'd seen in the previous 40 years!

I hope I can follow this one for a while. Thanks Sat!

#27 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: India

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

I too last observed it on the 3rd when it was about a degree away from the open cluster M36. It has certainly dimmed compared to how bright it was last week. the tail too appears more spread out and shorter. But we could still detect it in the 50mm finderscope. Should be observable in small scopes next week too until the moon sets in..

After that from around the 10th I will be moving my attention to another comet (C/2012 F6 Lemmon) which can be observed from my latitude for a few days before it sails further south. Hoping to get some good views of it.

And it seems like this might really turn out be the year of comets!

Clear Skies!

#28 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I saw it the morning of Dec 18th when it was still in the big bear. I was fortunate to be in a dark site. I located it using sky safari and just pointed my red dot finder in the general area and nailed it on my first try. I am glad I had a wide angle eyepiece. Orion Q70 with 2.2 deg fov for my scope. Not a high quality piece but sure has made it easier to find targets. Can't wait for comets panstars and ison.

#29 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

I viewed it again last night for about half an hour. It was less than a degree south east of Iota Tau. I found it with a finder chart from skyhound.com's comet chaser page. After determining where it was suppose to be at the time I was viewing, I checked the star chart in my new Uranometria All Sky Edition to find the field. It was pretty easy after that even with my .77* EP. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics