• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

I got a little clumsy he other night and dropped my handset against the tripod. Now, when I have a string of letters scrolling across the screen the old letter hasn't released before the new letter wants to take its place. It gets very difficult to read the alignment directions at times. Static words are fine and all other functionality is okay. Any ideas on a fix. I did power down the scope and unplugged the handset to "reset" it, but no help.

#2 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Hi Charles,

How cold was it when you were observing? I ask because what you're describing sounds like what happens when an LCD display gets cold. Remember the "L" in LCD stands for 'liquid'. It may be coincidental that you first noticed it after banging the hand paddle.

If you bring your scope inside after observing, let everything warm up and dry. After an hour or so, plug the scope in and try to do an alignment. If the display seems OK then, it was most likely the cold.

If not, its possible that the knock against the tripod loosened the ribbon connector between the main board and display. It's an easy fix. Just remove the screws holding the case together, locate the cable and reseat it.

Hope that helps.

Don :usa:

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Yep...this sounds more like cold than the ribbon cable, but the ribbon cable is mucho easy to check and fix...

#4 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I believe the handset is designed to automatically smash into the tripod legs.

That feature always works great!

#5 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

It was the cold. The rods and cones in the back of my eyeballs were so cold they couldn't keep up with the scrolling. I very much appreciate the help. It's good. To know the handset can take a little beating and keep on ticking.

#6 mike174

mike174

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Slow the scroll rate improves readability when it's cold.

#7 Doc Bob

Doc Bob

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

You can also attach a small hand warmer to the back of the handset - that might be just enough to fix that problem!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics