finding Jupiter in daylight via LX200 Classic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

Late yesterday afternoon I did some quick shots of a hazy gibbous moon before cloud and heavy rain moved in [again!]but could I locate Jupiter low in NE in these conditions?

The Classic doesn't include the moon in its database so I couldn't synch scope on it but could for [invisible] IC galaxy a few degrees south noted in Cartes du Ciel shareware. Then entered 'Jupiter' and goto for scope to slew to NE where a feeble Jupiter appeared in finder. Jupiter, completely invisible to unaided eye, was centered and snapped as montage below. Hope the tip is useful ;)

Used my M12 SCT @ f/3.7+SX Lodestar-C OSC cam in brief exposures. Under clear conditions I can snap Jupiter in 1/1000s with my setup but yesterday afternoon, as conditions deteriorated, exposures were increased x10,000 eg 10s exp to record Jupiter's fading disk :o

Attached Files

#2 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Interesting approach with wonderful results. Thanks for the info.

#3 niteman1946

niteman1946

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Nice image Nytecam. :)

My '97 model classic does have the Moon as star 903. Is yours older?

I'm curious why you sync'd on the IC galaxy first. Why not just go directly to jupiter?

Clear skies,

Mark

#4 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Nice image Nytecam. :) My '97 model classic does have the Moon as star 903. Is yours older?I'm curious why you sync'd on the IC galaxy first. Why not just go directly to jupiter? Clear skies, Mark

Thanks Mark - just got out my well-thumbed manual and on page 68/6 the planets 'star#903' is missing from list. I've always assumed 903 = 'Earth' eg an invalid entry. But on reading your post I've just gone down garden to obsy and entered 'star#903' on M12 handbox and the 'moon's phase' and co-ords are listed - amazing :grin:

Two years back I did swap my failed Classic M12 for an assumed identical model but the manual for latter was sold with my old M12 when repaired. So no future need to use a surrogate star/DSO for the moon to synch the scope.

Still can't goto Jupiter direct in daylight if I can't first synch scope on some visible object [moon /surrogate object] so unsure what you mean :question:

#5 niteman1946

niteman1946

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hey Nytecam,

Glad to help on the moon.

Maybe something lost in translation on Jupiter. My Meade is permanently mounted (like yours?). I can simply turn it on and then pick star 905 for Jupiter. It will get close. This assumes that I'm polar aligned and start out at 0.0 RA and Dec.
Of course, for real work I need something I can see before I sync.

Mark

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

Maybe something lost in translation on Jupiter. My Meade is permanently mounted (like yours?). I can simply turn it on and then pick star 905 for Jupiter. It will get close. This assumes that I'm polar aligned and start out at 0.0 RA and Dec. Of course, for real work I need something I can see before I sync. Mark

I'll give that a go -if the skies ever clear again :grin:

#7 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Yes Mark - it works as you state - thanks - with Christmas Eve pics to prove it through thin cloud needing x100 normal exposures :grin:

Merry Christmas [in <1hr!] & Happy New Year Everyone on CN
Nytecam

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics