NexStar Extra's

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I've been reading some of the past post on items for NexStar. I think I will be adding a portable power pack that I'll use when the wife and I make a trip out to Big Bend in March. I think I would like to add a good barlow too. I'd like to add a few EP's and that is the question I'm asking. I'm not an EP hog but I'd like to get one or two more that work well with the 6SE along with a good quality barlow. I like double stars so I'd like to get enough magnification to get close to the limit of resolution for this size scope but I also like clusters! I've got to do more reading and research but I know you all have lots of experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hoping it is going to be clear tonight so I can get out some with my daughter who is visiting... Thanks, Tony

#2 ke4kso

ke4kso

Explorer 1

• Loc: Chiefland Fl.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi Tony, I bought my Nextstar 8 SE used and it came with the Celestron eyepiece acc kit. I would prob have never bought the kit on its on, but since I have tried some of the eyepieces and the barlow in it I am impressed with how good they are. Cant go wrong for a 129 bucks. Also I have the 7 amp hour Celestron power tank and I couldnt live without it. Have fun

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hi Tony:

Eyepieces can be had for anywhere from $30 each to $600 each. The sweet spot is around $100 to $150 each, where you can get most of the quality of the big boys for a reasonable price. But there are good choices to be made at all price ranges.

So the first question is, how much are you willing to spend per eyepiece?

-Dan

#4 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hi Tony, I bought my Nextstar 8 SE used and it came with the Celestron eyepiece acc kit. I would prob have never bought the kit on its on, but since I have tried some of the eyepieces and the barlow in it I am impressed with how good they are. Cant go wrong for a 129 bucks. Also I have the 7 amp hour Celestron power tank and I couldnt live without it. Have fun

I wondered about those as I've seen them online for a decent price! I'd like maybe 2 to 3 EP's and a good Barlow. I have to do some research but I was curious what folks were using here with their NexStars... Thanks, Tony KM5JH

#5 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hi Tony:

Eyepieces can be had for anywhere from $30 each to $600 each. The sweet spot is around $100 to $150 each, where you can get most of the quality of the big boys for a reasonable price. But there are good choices to be made at all price ranges.

So the first question is, how much are you willing to spend per eyepiece?

-Dan

Hi Dan - Thanks for the reply as I'm sure this has been asked too many times on the forum, g. I've been reading the post going back awhile and now I've got some idea. I'd probably drop $150 on an EP that I really wanted and that I knew would work well with my 6SE but I was just curious as to what some of you were using. I've been keeping a lookout in the classifieds as well as looking online. We don't have an Astronomy store in Austin anymore so I have to look online. If I can find decent performing EP's for less that would be good as well. I've noticed that some folks list the EP's they use in the tag line so I've been checking that out as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated :bow: I'd also like a good Barlow sometime... Thanks, Tony

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hi Tony:

First thing to know about an SCT is that, because of it's slow focal ratio, it is very forgiving of eyepiece design. On very fast scopes, you tend to get a lot of aberrations in the outer parts of the view unless you have very expensive eyepieces.

Next is that eyepiece selection is a very personal thing. You can get two different people with very different opinions on the same eyepiece. It depends on your eyes, your level of experience, and what's important to you in a view.

But, given that, the eyepiece lines that seem to be very popular, and reasonably priced, are the Baader Hyperions and the Explore Scientific 82 series. If you're interested in starting a collection of very good quality EPs, buying them over time as money allows, I'd look at those lines.

The Explore Scientific EPs are a newer line than the Baaders, and sport an 82° field of view vs the Baader's 68°. The shorter focal length EPs are less expensive than the $120 Hyperions, but the longer focal lengths go up in price substantially. The Baaders also offer some unique features such as a modular design that allows you to connect them to cameras for EP projection, video use, etc.

I have the Baaders, but if I was purchasing now, I'd probably be tempted by the Explore Scientifics.

-Dan

#7 jhirsch

jhirsch

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

+ 1 on the Explore Scientifics. I recently bought the 82* 11mm. Absolutely love it. :jump: I'm about ready to purchase the 68* 34mm & 20mm. I looked very closely at the Hyperions and while I was tempted to go that route ultimately based on my experience w/ the 11mm decided I'm sticking with the Explore Scientific lineup.

One thing to consider. If you don't already have an observing chair I'd put that near the top of my list. Good idea the power tank. :waytogo:

#8 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

BUY the KIT

..AS AN INEXPENSIVE EDUCATIONAL TOOL..

The case is a keeper..the eyepieces are all "usable" ...not junk ! ...nor are the 2x barlow and the moon filter.. Plus the case will come in handy for years to come..

at about 15 bucks per eyepiece the kit will enable you to learn ..and after 6 or so months you will know what you want ..then and only then go out and buy 3 or so eyepieces that you seemed to use the most...

Education is a wonderful thing...and a cheap useful education is even better...

BTW... most of us have more money "invested" in the contents of our eyepiece case then we do in the telescope ...

Bob G.

#9 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hi Tony,

I went for the Baader 24mm-8mm zoom as my main eyepiece for medium/high mag work. They are not everyones cup of tea but I love mine.

I have a 2x barlow but tend to unscrew the bottom element and attach it to the eyepieces which makes its use less clumbersome. (A 2" eyepiece in a 2" barlow looks like a high rise block of flats.) :roflmao: That way it gives me x one and a half.

I too, as you do, love open clusters etc and to this end I have three 2" wide angle eyepieces, a 26mm, a 30mm and a 38mm. They seem to meet all my needs.

Regards. Peter.

#10 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thanks folks for the input! I had already been looking at the Baader but I'll check out the Explore Scientific as well. I can see that it wouldn't be hard after a few EP's to surpass the cost of the scope but I like a good view,g. I will continue to do some research and then place an order. I noticed there is a Baader in the classified too. What is the highest useful magnification that you have found for the 6SE? Thanks... Tony

#11 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Tony:

I do not own a 6SE But I do own a C8 as well as a C11 ...I can tell you that it is a infrequent night that I ever go above 200x with either...and an extremely rare night I approach 250x...

The Moon however is an entirely different story since it is so big and so bright it does take magnification quite well ...in my C8 I will use an 8.5 (239x) and in my C11 I use a 12 mm (233x)

and neither of those two LUNAR expediences are wide angle eyepeices.. Both are 60 degree Pentax's

In your C6 a 6 or 7 mm will give you approximately the same mag ...or a barlowed 12 or 14

ASTRONOMY IS NOT ABOUT MAGNIFICATION...

Bob G.

#12 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hi Bob - Good advice and thanks. The only reason I'm asking about magnification is for very close doubles stars. I love double stars but sometimes you have to push the limit in order to resolve the really close ones. Other than than that I wouldn't necessarily be pushing the limit and I'd agree on your observation... Thanks, Tony

#13 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hi Tony:

Like Bob says, you will more frequently find that the seeing limits your magnification rather than the scope.

I find that on most nights I can get up to around 150x with no problem. On a little less than half the nights I can get 200-250x. It's only on rare nights of perfect seeing, maybe 2-3 nights a year, that I can use my scope's full resolution at 400x.

Your included 25mm EP gets you 60x in that scope. I would start with an EP that gets you to that 100-150x area like something in the 10-13mm range. You'll likely find that this becomes your workhorse EP and is used a lot. Next, I'd go for something in the 7-8mm range for the next higher mag. That will cover the hi mag end pretty well.

After that, I'd go for something with a longer focal length and lower magnification. You'll find there are a lot of nice targets that are quite large and need a wider field of view.

-Dan

#14 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi Dan - Good advice from you and Bob! Seeing from my location isn't the best with mod light pollution. Id like one higher EP to use when Im in a better location like when we go to Big Bend. Maybe something like the 8.8 mm by ES. I'm also looking at the 14mm too which should be a good one. Of course a nice 2X barlow would be nice also. I appreciate the suggestions and agree with you and Bob. Thanks again..... Tony

#15 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I went with the Explore Scientific 82* EP's. They seemed to be on sale but I'd like to try the Baader Hyperions too...

#16 NorskeBob

NorskeBob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oswego, NY

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Found the Denkmeier S1 diagonal a great add on for me.

I find the 20mm nagler and 13mm nagler get used the most. Waited until I got a good price on Astromat.com. I have once ES eyepiece and have been happy with it.

Power Tank, dew shield and viewing chair would be good investments.

I take my 8SE when we travel - camping. We will be heading to Yellowstone and Glacier the coming summer - hope for some good dark skys.

I used the foam that it came with and a large plastic "tub" from walmart for the OTA when we travel. Smaller once for my eyepieces.

#17 MG1962

MG1962

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I am not a big fan of the wide field views of the ES - 82 degrees is just uncomfortable for me. I do however have some Orion Epic II eyepieces (60 degree) And they seem to be outstanding with my SE8

#18 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Bob - Thanks for reply and suggestions. I need a battery or power tank since I don't have one yet. Guess I will add a chair at some point too. I hope you had a nice Christmas and clear skies to you! Thanks, Tony

#19 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

MG1962 - Thanks and hope you had a nice Christmas. Clear Skies, Tony

#20 astro1tom

astro1tom

Lift Off

• Loc: San Jose, California

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

I would agree that a power tank and astro chair are must. As far as additional eyepieces, I have both and SE8 and SE6, and they are long focal length, and don't need top end eyepieces. I've found that plossl work well, and I've see little difference when comparing top end eyepieces in these scopes. I use mostly Orion Sirius plossls, new they are about $45 and can be found for half of that used. A barlow can double your range of eyepieces and work well with the SE6 and SE8. I also use TMB Planetary eyepieces with a little wider field of view, they are no longer sold but can be found used for $30-40. If you can attend a star party in your region, I'd advise doing so, you'll likely be able to try other eyepieces there in your scope. Unless you have a demanding short focal length refractor I think you'll be wasting money on expensive eyepieces.
Tom

#21 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hi Tom - I'll get a power tank of some sort before I make my Big Bend trip in March. Right now I use the AC converter. I've been looking for a stool or chair but Im not in a hurry for that. I've used the Sirius plossls and still have one and they seem to be good EP's. Some of the ES eyepieces have been on sale for $99 which isn't too bad. Thanks... Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics