• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chrispy

Chrispy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kyneton, Vic, Australia

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I've recently aquired a Celestron C6 SE OTA and am now looking for a suitable mount.
Importing a Nexstar mount from the USA (ebay), with $200 postage would stretch the budget a bit far.
Whilst GOTO would be nice, I'm happy to just have the ability to track.
So, I'm looking for a driven mount with the capacity for a C6 (5kg/11lbs).
I have a solid tripod with 2" steel legs so I only really need a mount head.
I only do visual, no imaging, so I'm thinking Alt/Azm, most comfortable for my aching back!

Recommendations would be appreciated, budget up to $500 US or Australian, inclusive of postage.
Sources would have to be free to ship to Australia, many don't unfortunately.
Dealers prices in Australia for Celestron, Meade etc. are often 30~50% higher than the USA.

Thanks

Chris

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

If you want your mount to be driven (just to have the ability to track) and you want it to be alt/az then you need a computer to decide how to drive the two axes. In other words a goto scope.

If you have an equatorial mount then you only have to drive the R.A. axis and a simple motor will do that.

I once had a C5 which was mounted on a CG-3 mount and I suspect that mount could hold a C6.

Even without the optional motor it would allow you to use your C6 way better than a camera tripod.

#3 WeltevredenKaroo

WeltevredenKaroo

Vostok 1

• Loc: 31°51'09" S 24°25'47" E

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

You might want to Desert Sky Astro's DSV-2 a look. It's an alt-az with hand-operated gear drives which track smoothly at 250x even across the celestial equatorial regions. I've overloaded mine with a 180mm Mak on one side and a 150 Mak on the other (alternatively a 100mm RFT refractor with heavy ADM dual-dovetail and 125mm rings), but the DSV holds these firmly and tracks smoothly. Using a laser as a push-to pointer I can get any sky object in the field much faster than any go-to. The DSV-2 price is moderate considering the well-thought ideas and fabrication quality of the product. It also comes with a sliding counterweight system that keeps balance even if I switch from two heavy 2" widefields to a couple of planetary plössls with filters. The owner-maker Raul Medina is super to deal with. He shipped mine to South Africa using a USA "Flat Rate Priority International" 12" x 12" x 6" carton for under US$60.

#4 Chrispy

Chrispy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kyneton, Vic, Australia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

Thank you for your suggestions gentlemen!

Cheers

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics