• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

I putzed around too long getting the scope aligned, and then wasted time taking some images of the moon and by the time I slewed to Jupiter, some clouds started to roll in. I took this video with some clouds rolling in and out and am quite surprised that I got even this much out of the image.

Nice dark spot towards the NEB there. I might get lucky and the clouds will get out of the way so I can experiment with the camera a bit more...

C8
2x barlow
ASI120MC

Attached Files

#2 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Still, that looks very promising for the new camera. Hope you get some clear skies for full testing.

Kevin

#3 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Great!I think you can enhance the color a little more!

#4 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Ok, clouds have passed by :) WOOHOO!

Doing some testing with exposure/gain at the moment. Well, things have just gotten quite a bit better :).

First off, In my first light post I had noted that there seemed to be a lack of contrast and color. It hit me what was going on there when I noticed the IR filter sitting on my desk. I totally forgot to use the IR filter when capturing. I was probably capturing a bit of IR and that may have been robbing me of contrast and goofing with the color.

That image in the post above is WITHOUT the IR filter. When the clouds cleared, I threw the IR filter on. Unfortunately FC screwed up a couple of my images that compared with and without the filter, but the one below is WITH the filter on, and oh yea, I put the new crayford focuser on so focusing was way better tonight! Still need to play around with processing but I am quite happy with the results so far :)

Attached Files

#5 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

For crummy conditions I was'nt expecting anything this nice! Amazing, hope you have a good window of seeing without clouds soon!

Glenn

#6 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Wow! You posted the IR corrected image while I was typing Mr Z! That is an exceptional image - congratulations!

Glenn

#7 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

Very nice with the IR-CUT!
you can't forget the IR-CUT!its very important
Everything I put into the package has its usage :)

#8 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

Thanks Sam!
I had thought I used the IR cut filter, but sometimes it pays to doublecheck!

Here are a pair of images comparing the ASI120MC with my SPC900NC. I used a 2x barlow for the ASI cam, and 3x barlow for the SPC900NC. My CSC was saying that seeing was only 3/5, but it wasn't all that bad after the clouds parted. Right after these captures the seeing deteriorated with my further captures.

Attached Files

#9 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Great image, what fps did you run on your second
image with the IR put on?
What ROI were you using?

#10 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

Nice compare!
how many frames stacked each?

#11 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

In the second image (first with the IR cut), I captured at 25ms and 55 gain. In FireCapture I had an ROI of 640x480, but used a cutout of 352x322. The log file says it only captured at 34fps (instead of 40), and that is because my laptop CPU isn't fast enough to keep up. FC looks like it is CPU limited and not write speed limited (tried some test captures on my other laptop with a little bit faster CPU and slower HD and it kept up better). That stack is best 2000 frames out of about 7500.

For the comparison picture above,
ASI120MC - exposure = 30ms, gain = 49, capture = 31fps, ROI = 352x322. Best 1500 out of 3700 frames stacked

SPC900NC - exposure = 50ms, gain = 70, capture = 20fps, ROI = 352x322. Best 1500 out of 3600 frames stacked

#12 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

I think the fps is because of seting.
did you try the suggestion from Torsten?
#1 performance settings
Open the performance settings tab and select the recommended settings depending on your
machine. You may also run the HD "Test optimal disk buffer" test (takes some minutes) to figure
out if a different buffer setting may increase write speed on your machine. Also enable the
"Maximize after capture finished" option to make sure using the highest thread prio for
storing data after the capture has finished.

#2 RAM buffer
There is an experimental RAM buffer option included helping to avoid potential OutOfMemory errors.
In the general settings tab you can enable this option and select the RAM buffer size.
In this mode FireCapture will only queue as many frames as fitting into the RAM buffer.

#13 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

I figured out the FPS number that is in the FC .txt file. Its the total frames/total time to write to disk. If the disk cant keep up and it has to buffer, it extends that time beyond the actual capture and thus lower framerate.

I tried the disk buffer test, but it didn't help. I had totally forgot about the RAM buffer setting. Gonna have to try that to see if it helps.

I took a few full frame captures of the moon and aborted a mosaic attempt after I realized it would take too long and clouds started to roll in. Did some preliminary processing on the frames and it looks *awesome* :).

#14 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi Zam, that 2nd Jup is a ripper, very well done Sir. Nothing not to like about that.

Cheers
Trevor

#15 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Ok, finally finished up everything with the captures taken on the 23rd.

First up is an animation of the good captures during the night when things finally cleared. Slowed up the animation a bit because the timing between the different frames varied quite a bit and the animation didn't look that great running faster.

Click on the image to see the animation.
Posted Image
Jupiter animation 12/23/12 by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

Secondly, I tested a few different exposure/gain combos to see if there were any difference in noise and if any were sharper, etc. Most all of them looked pretty good. I do think the 40ms and 45ms captures aren't as sharp....and the shorter exposures may be a little noisier.

All of the images were stacks of 3000 frames, I had plenty of frames to stack more with the shorter exposures, and that could drive down the noise some more.

Click on the image below to see the full sized version!
Posted Image
Exposure Comparison by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

#16 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

I left town and then got a clear sky clock alarm. Glad you made it out in the better seeing conditions! These are great images with your new camera!

#17 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

Supper!

#18 GizmoDave

GizmoDave

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California USA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Beautiful images!
Very encouraging to see the kind of results you are getting with an 8" scope in less than perfect conditions.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics