Photo

Lx-90 8 or 10 inch ACF ...Buying used...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Hi All,

I would appreciate any input on selecting an LX-90 used?

Years to avoid (I have read had problems)?

Particular problems to check out?

Thanks

#2 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'm going to "guess" that the drive problems on the Lx90's occurred from about 2006 thru 2009...

BUT I sure would check out each scope and if it woks after 3 to 6 years it should continue to do so...plus most of the ones that had a problems should have been fixed by now...

run the scope put it thru its paces and if satisfied write the darn check and smile...

Bob G.

#3 7lx200gps

7lx200gps

Sputnik

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Honestly, aside from the drive problems during that period, the issues were actually in the tracking boards. But, check it out. I would say, get the 8" version. It's large enough almost all the eye candy deep sky objects, great details of the planets and moon. Aside from the eye candy it can bring in hundreds of more galaxies and clusters of galaxies. It's light enough on person can set up easily by themselves and is easily portable. If it clears up suddenly, you don't want to drag a telescope out that is heavy. The 10" isn't that heavy, at 50 pounds, but the 8" is only 30. So, I would get the 8" because its perfect for size capabilities and portability to anyway you want to observe.

Clears Skies!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics