3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan McConaughy

Dan McConaughy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: LA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hello
I have heard that Sky X can run the G11 goto better than the gemini. Who has had experience with this? I'm a visual observer and am interested in goto performance.
Thank you.
Dan McConaughy

#2 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

I haven't managed to get it to work because The Sky X doesn't support the Gemini II natively, so if you have Gemini II, just be informed that it's not supported by The Sky

#3 Dan McConaughy

Dan McConaughy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: LA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

I have Gemini I. Does the Sky X improve Gemini I?

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

I imagine they're referring to T-point or the Maxpoint programs that allow you to model your point model and take into account the errors in your system.

Gemini 2 has this built into it, whereas a Gemini 1 system would need an additional software package. I gave Maxpoint a run at one point; it did help immensely with generating a pointing model on my CGEM.

However, you might consider just geting using something that relies on astrometrics to aim your scope. MaximDL has this built into its software; a wrap around freeware program that is finding success is called Astro Tortilla as well. If you are a visual observer, you could mount a small refractor with a camera in line with your primary scope and use that to 'aim' the big guy using one of these software packages.

I would say that your pointing model is as accurate as you align your mount. I can't imagine that 'just' the SkyX would improve your aiming; and that what the person was referring to was using some type of modeling program like T-point or Maxpoint.

Good luck! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics