I SAW SATURN, I SAW SATURN

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 2Lane

2Lane

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Let me begin by saying I am a rank noobie! I have trolled this and other forums since my wife and I bought the house we plan to retire in! Thanx to this and other forums I decided to purchase a 6si. Received it on 12/19/12! Got free shipping and 5 Vixen EPs to boot! I thought it was a good deal. Well as luck would have it I was unable to "First Light" that evening although I had time to assemble and drool. Well the next morning I got up with the wife who had to leave for work (I am on vacation) and setup my new toy on the NE facing side of the house. Now it is 0630 EDT now and I have to be quick. I leveled the scope, did a three star align that worked first time I tried (Yeah me) and then setup on Venus. Really neat. I hit the solar system button and Saturn came up so I thought "What the hey" and I hit enter. The scope started moving, then stopped, and I looked in the EP and I saw Saturn! The time now is 0645!! I saw Saturn!! For 30 minutes I saw Saturn!! Way Cool! Woo Hoo!! Mind you this is almost my first time looking thru an EP. At this time I realized that seeing pictures and seeing it in realtime there is no comparison! Ok sorry about the adrenanalin rush. Thanx to all who have left responses to any forum here! Ya'll helped my decision very much. WOW! Looking forward to being a part of this forum if ya'll don't mind! :D

#2 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yea... you're hooked :jump: Welcome and congrats on your telescope! Many more cool moments to come,g.... Thanks for the report and keep us posted.... Welcome and clear skies... Tony

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

Good for you 2Lane! Glad to see you're lovin' your scope. Welcome :bow: to the forum and clear skies to you.

James

#4 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

@lane...welcome to these forums and also to the hobby of Astronomy..

BUT..I gotta tell you I first saw Saturn as a Cub (not boy) Scout in the early 1950's and like you I sure got an adrenalin rush ...BUT even today I get that same kind of feeling every single time I see Saturn... and I am dead serious.. Viewing Saturn still seems to knock my socks off...

What can I say...

Bob G.

#5 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Saturn is mind blowing. My first real view too. Sure fire way of getting hooked into this hobby.

#6 General_Tso

General_Tso

Sputnik

• Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Welcome to the club and thanks for the description! Makes me want to wake up early and set up!

#7 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Welcome to CN and astronomy....hang on to your wallet!!!

#8 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Saturn is certainly one of the showpiece targets in the sky! Always a thrill to see it. Thanks for sharing your excitement!

-Dan

#9 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm right there with you, 2Lane! :grin:

#10 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Given that we English, always (apparently) have a knack for the understatement:

"Nice, innit" ! :lol: (Saturn that is) !

Welcome, 2Lane, to CN and in particular to this fourum ! :bow::bow: It's great to have you with us ! May you have clear skies and many happy hours with your new 'scope ! :waytogo:

Best regards and a very happy Xmas,
Tel

#11 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Welcome on board the Nexstar forum 2Lane.

I SAW SATURN certainly has a familiar RING to it :grin:

Enjoy your new scope.

Regards. Peter.

#12 2Lane

2Lane

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thanx for all the nice replies even from across a big pond! Bob G. funny you mentioned cub scouts as not only was I a cub scout but my mother was actually a den mother for a couple years. Merry Christmas and Clear skies to all!

#13 TonyDralle

TonyDralle

Apollo

• Loc: Bethel Park, PA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Hi, 2Lane,

Thanks for sharing your experience and especially your enthusiasm with us.

While Saturn is one of the more spectacular sights, always worth a "Wow" (as Bob G. says), you will find many more. The sky is big enough that we never run out of worthy objects to look at -- some targets are exciting sights in themselves, others are exciting just to find and ponder their distance (faint galaxies) or makeup (globilar clusters, for example). May your enthusiasm never dampen!

You will find lots of help here -- although so far you seem not to need it!
Just ask if you have questions. Soon, you will be providing help to newbies yourself.

Welcome aboard!

- Tony

#14 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

Jupiter is next :)

#15 gastargazer01

gastargazer01

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Flowery Branch GA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

You never forget your first time :)

#16 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

You never forget your first time :)

Nor your first sight of Saturn. :grin:

Regards. Peter.

#17 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

On my 26th birthday (last year) at around 4am. Unusually cold for a Texas morning too. But it was amazing!!!

#18 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Welcome on CN and congratulations for your new telescope !
The first thing I ever saw in my first scope was Saturn...I thought it was just a bright star ,an easy target to start with. I focused and there it was with the rings...I literally let out a big YAAHOOO !! I will never forget that moment and I love it when it happens someone else. Brace yourself because there is much more to see...
Maxx

#19 MG1962

MG1962

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I have been doing this for a lot of years on and of and I dont think anything gets my enthusiasm up as much as new people with their first light experiences

Thanks so much for sharing 2lane

#20 jhirsch

jhirsch

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Congratulations & Welcome to the Nexstar form 2Lane. And no we don't mind another person joining us. Saturn is defiantly a sight you never forget. Like you said. There's just something about seeing it real time in your own telescope. Another one that will stick in my mind as long as I live is the double cluster in Persus. I was awe struck the 1st time I saw that.... Hold on to your wallet... This could be an expensive ride

#21 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

I wonder how many of us got into the hobby after seeing those gorgeous rings floating around that pretty golden(ish) disc.

As Raginar says, you should also check out Jupiter! Now is a great time to view it; it's high in the sky by early evening. You can't miss it; it's the brightest "star" in the sky, rising in the east at dusk. It's also a convenient "landmark" for viewing some other great objects.

Next, about 5 degrees to the southeast of Jupiter (5 degrees = the width of your clenched fist at arm's length), you can easily eyeball Aldebaran, the angry orange eye of Taurus the Bull. Put Aldebaran in your EP (at your lowest magnification), and you're looking at the V-shaped Hyades cluster.

Ready for more? About 10 degrees above (to the west of) Jupiter, you can see a cluster of pretty bluish stars. This is the Pleiades cluster.

As the evening goes on, Jupiter rises high in the sky, to the southeast you can see Orion, easy to make out by the 3 in-line stars that form his belt. To the north of the belt is big red Betelgeuse, and to the south is bright bluish Rigel. The easternmost star in Orion's Belt is Alnitak; about 1/3 of the way between Alnitak and Rigel, you should be able to see some small stars and a diffuse glow. This is M42, the Great Orion Nebula.

And if you can, get a look at M31 Andromeda Galaxy. It was just west of zenith when I viewed it last night. I live on the eastern edge of town, so my skies are decent to the east, poor to the west. By next month, M31 will be getting too far west for me, so the wife and I got a good long look last night!

There's no question Saturn is a celestial showpiece, and it will get closer to Earth (and a little bit bigger in your EP) as we near the April opposition.

Jupiter, Hyades, Pleiades and Orion Nebula are a few more perennial favorites, and they are in prime viewing position these days, especially if you have a good eastern/ southeastern view.

I just realized that you have a 6SE (that's what you meant, isn't it?). It should be great on Jupiter and M42. You won't be able to get the entire Pleiades (much less Hyades) in the field of view, but I would still encourage taking a look while they're so well-positioned. Even viewed piecemeal, they are doggone purty.

Best,
David

#22 dennilfloss

dennilfloss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I realized that seeing pictures and seeing it in realtime there is no comparison!

This a thousandfold. :)

#23 Doug Michel

Doug Michel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lincoln, NE

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Now check out Orion Nebula, aside from Saturn and Jupiter, it is the best thing in my mind to see. If you can get to a dark enough site then the ring nebula is also very neat.

#24 Gary Z

Gary Z

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Wonderful story. Last year before purchasing the 8 SE, I was able to see Saturn using my little 80 mm. I was very happy with that, and so was my wife and daughter. Then, when I did get my 8 SE. There was a huge wow factor. Thank you for sharing your story!!!

#25 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I think I have that feeling with every new item I see. A couple of weeks ago it was M37. Never saw it before, and it was a spectacular sight.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics