• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GpB311

GpB311

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Ive had Skysafari plus for a number of months and it has always been flawless, but for the last 2 or 3 weeks now it has been freezing upon start up almost every single time.
Ive tried clearing the apps data and force stopping it, but that doesnt seem to help with any sort of reliability. It also doesnt seem to need any updates, so Im not sure what else to do.

Anyone else been having any trouble lately? Ive seen some reviews complaining of something similar, but it was always an immediate thing while mine has only just started.

#2 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

Have you tried contacting Southern Stars (the publisher)? They have a yahoo group and also respond to email.

I've been using Pro on my HP touchpad running a Cyanogenmod ICS nightly with no issues.

#3 slowflow

slowflow

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

Mine has shutdown on an HTC one S and I have contacted the supplier who was unable to help. They were very responsive.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

My guess is that something is corrupted. My guess is that if you delete Sky Safari and then reinstall it, it will work. It's time consuming to be sure but hopefully worth it.

I have been running the Plus version on my phone and tablet without any problems other than cloudy skies.

Jon

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

It is probably the case that the startup settings file needs to be deleted. This is *not* deleted by simply uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

We have identified a long standing bug where selecting stars or objects with long names can result in a situation where the app can fail on startup. We will have this fixed in a new release that we hope to have out before the end of the year.

To delete your Settings file, you must access your SD card on the device. The file you want to remove is:

/sdcard/SkySafari Pro/Saved Settings/[CurrentSettings].skyset

Depending upon your system, the first part of this path, "sdcard", could be called something else. Also if this is Plus and not Pro, change "SkySafari Pro" to "SkySafari Plus"

#6 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Ranger 4

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

ThreeD,

I sent you a PM, but, like me, you may not watch for such messages much! ;)

I also have Sky Safari on my Touchpad, running Cyanogen Mod, of course.

What's your experience with this setup outside at night? Does the TP run for very long...or do you have it plugged into another electrical source?

I've not taken mine out into the field yet....

Any other challenges with this setup? (Dew, temperature, bright screen, ease of use for searching out dim objects, etc)

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

#7 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

I am coming from using SkySafari Pro on the iPhone 4 and have replaced that with an Android phone (Motorola RAZR MAXX HD). I have found a few areas where the Android version is behind the iOS version (see below). I also use SSP on the iPad Mini, so some of these features may only be available there, but it would be GREAT for the Android version to follow suit!

- In the Custom Observing Lists, user must check the check box 'Observed' or is not able to enter any comments about the observation. In iOS, entering comments about the observation is allowed without having to check the checkbox.

- FPS indicator shows up randomly at times.

- Accessing the on-screen shortcuts for Field of View (upper-right hand) and Cardinal directions/mag limits/grids (upper-left hand) takes a very, very precise touch. Can this be fixed to allow for a more general touch in those areas?

- There is no 'Highlight Objects' option for Custom Observing Lists--this is a very nice feature which I would love to see in the Android version.

Thanks in advance!

#8 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

- In the Custom Observing Lists, user must check the check box 'Observed' or is not able to enter any comments about the observation. In iOS, entering comments about the observation is allowed without having to check the checkbox.

- FPS indicator shows up randomly at times.

- Accessing the on-screen shortcuts for Field of View (upper-right hand) and Cardinal directions/mag limits/grids (upper-left hand) takes a very, very precise touch. Can this be fixed to allow for a more general touch in those areas?

- There is no 'Highlight Objects' option for Custom Observing Lists--this is a very nice feature which I would love to see in the Android version.

Thanks in advance!

All these are fixed in a release we will push out in the next day or so.

#9 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

"All these are fixed in a release we will push out in the next day or so."

Woo Hoo!

Don:usa:

#10 tjay

tjay

Surveyor 1

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Woo Hoo!

Double Woo Hoo!

#11 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'm ready to purchase myself, but not until this new release rolls out. Please keep us informed Bill!

#12 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

Woo Hoo!

Double Woo Hoo!

That is very good news indeed. Also, pretty nice to have this kind of communication with the software engineer--thanks Bill! :waytogo:

I am going to ready my next list! :ubetcha:

#13 GpB311

GpB311

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

I went ahead and deleted it and it did start right up after that, but when I went to check the "tonights best" option, it crashed. It immediately froze upon next start up and gave me a Skysafari is not responding message.

#14 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm ready to purchase myself, but not until this new release rolls out. Please keep us informed Bill!

FYI: The new 1.7.1 release is now available on Google Play.

#15 tjay

tjay

Surveyor 1

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

FYI: The new 1.7.1 release is now available on Google Play.

I've already upgraded. Thanks :)

#16 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

"FYI: The new 1.7.1 release is now available on Google Play."

And what a very nice upgrade it is!

#17 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

The update is working well. Here is another suggestion for both the Android and iOS version:

- When 'Highlight Objects' is selected for a Custom Observing List, objects that lie within the 'Highlighted Objects' are not able to be selected. For example, you cannot select stars/double stars in a cluster to see their information nor can you select DSOs within DSOs, like the planetary nebula (NGC 2438) within M46.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics