• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 stbehastx

stbehastx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hawai'i, Pale Blue Dot

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Aloha all, I have some 15x70's and have recently fallen in love with viewing the great nebula in Orion. What are some of your favorite nebula's you may recommend for me to view that appear in binoculars to have features (obvious nebulosity) as opposed to clusters (which I also like, just that I seem to see many more of those and want a few more good ones like Orion nebula.)

Thanks CN

#2 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

At your latitude in the summer, Messier 8 (the Lagoon Nebula) in Sagittarius should be a wonderful sight with a 15x70.

For just obvious nebulosity, Messier 17 (the Swan Nebula), also in Sagittarius, will show its shape. (Actually, it'll look more like a tiny, upside-down rubber ducky.)

Messier 27 (the Dumbbell Nebula) in Vulpecula should satisfy you.

A good resource for you:

http://www.ifa.hawai...ons/starcharts/

Clear skies,

#3 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

After M42, do realize that just about all others will be pale by comparison, certainly in a binocular. Those Todd pointed out are nice targets for your bino. As long as your expectations are not overly high, these, and a handful of others if your observing location is dark, should satisfy.

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Along with tethered lens caps,Nebulae are amongst the last things I think about when recounting almost half a century's most memorable experiences with binoculars!

Kenny

#5 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Aw Kenny... You just need a bigger bino!

A few nights ago I happened to be at a dark sky location with a beautiful clear sky and my 16x80 w/tripod. M42 was absolutely grand, and so vivid I doubt I will ever forget it. Kept going back to it again and again... :D

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Just guessing, but I suppose winter in England isn't the best time for nebulae viewing, anyhow. M42 is beautiful but only if you can see it! ;)

The summer MW must peek out once in a while even in England, though, yes?

Come out here to the arid American West, Kenny, and you can see just how wonderful it and other fuzzy clouds of dust and gas can be in 100mm binos!

Merry Christmas!

Rich

#7 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

An old timey "nebula" like M31 is a very good target. So is M33 and M81 & M82. OK, OK these are galaxies. Not too many other great nebs from your location unless you add filters to your optical train. Hmmm...the North American Nebula, the Helix, and certainly a few more. But they won't knock your sox off like M42.

#8 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

From a dark site, the Veil is very nice. In my 10X50's the entire structure (a broken ring) is apparent.

#9 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

PJ, do you use filters with your binoculars?

#10 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

in Hawaii you might catch carina Nebula, it will be low on the Sth horizon abut 130am in the morning

#11 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi Erika,

The binocs are Zeiss West (Oberkochen) 10X50's and I use them with and without a pair of Lumicon 2" UHC's. Here's a pic:

Attached Files

#12 stbehastx

stbehastx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hawai'i, Pale Blue Dot

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Thanks all, we're having some cloudy nights recently but once the sky clears, I look forward to trying these all out.

#13 camvan

camvan

Vanguard

• Loc: British Columbia

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

this summer I had the opportunity to use my Nikon Premier SE 8x32's at the Merritt Star Quest. skies were so dark that with a trained eye, you could EASILY see the Veil Nebula. I thoroughly enjoyed laying back and just gaze at it for a while. :D

#14 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Pj that's an interesting way to attach the filter

#15 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

Pj that's an interesting way to attach the filter

Hi Daniel,

I made caps from delrin, and then machined some threaded aluminum inserts for the filters. Here's a pic:

Attached Files

#16 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

PJ, that's quite a set up with the filters. Thanks for posting that.

#17 curiosidad

curiosidad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hi .
Pj it is a good setup for view nebula?
north america,roseta,and others are good?
Is best in the front position the filters?

#18 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

From a dark site, the Veil is very nice. In my 10X50's the entire structure (a broken ring) is apparent.

I never have been able to see the viel in binos (unfiltered).
Unfortunately my 25x100 are straight through and I can't see comfortably above 60-70 deg above horizon. 9x65 & 15x63 on monopod w/ pivot pistol grip don't have sufficient aperture.

#19 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi .
Pj it is a good setup for view nebula?
north america,roseta,and others are good?
Is best in the front position the filters?

was able to see North American in 2.3x40mm opera glasses (skyglow filter on one barrel). Have only been able to see rosette Nebula in my large dob from a very dark site with filters.

#20 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Truly the best binocula nebulae pan, is panning from Lagoon to Trifid and OC to M24 to Swan and Eagle and up to wild Duck.
I always do enjoy this is the summer with 25x100s mounted on camera tripod. Lagoon and Trifid start out in same view.

#21 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

You must be at a high latitude...there's lots of good stuff below the Lagoon between Sag and Scorpius and below Scorpius.

:cool:

#22 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks all for sharing.

#23 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

This is a very interesting thread. Especially since I have suggested, to a nebula filter Dealer: That he should consider permanently installing his filters in Binos - And offering them for sale. That, is the short version of the story...
The Good News: Dan, of DGM Optics, is in fact interested in the idea. It's safe to say - More than interested, since prototypes are already "in the works"...The only other eventual concern, naturally will be: How many Bino fanatics (myself included) would be interested in buying a pair?

Now for the longer story:
I recently bought a pair of 1.25" GCE filters from DGM Optics, to use on my new Garrett S.S. 10x50's. And, I've been extremely pleased with their performance on DSO's ever since. So much so, that I simply leave them screwed onto the EP's all the time.

Dan of DGM Optics, then become interested in the idea of having his GCE filter coating applied to the inside of binocular EP's. He and I have been corresponding about this idea quite a bit lately.

Well, I've written a review of the GCE filters; and it's waiting for approval to be published here on CN. So, just waiting for now.
I guess there's no really easy way to gauge what the interest level would be for such a pair of binos?

-Al

Bushnell 8x30's, Barska 15x70's, Garrett Signature Series 10x50's, Celestron 80mm Spotting scope (20-60x), Bushnell 5" Truss Tube Dob, Apertura AD8 8" Tweaker's Dream Dob, Standard Bushnell & Apertura EP's, Lots of Nebula filters...

#24 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

When I owned my Fuji 25x150s, I bought a pair of nebular filters that fitted externally to the ep eye lens. I found that the reflections between my eye and the filter to be very distracting while viewing any field with bright objects.

IMO, that's what makes the BT binos much more user friendly with respect to filters....they are placed in front of the ep field lens (screwed into the front of the ep) and are internal and avoid the above problem.

The use of the 2 inch filter on the 50mm binocular objective also avoids that issue.

#25 Dan McShane

Dan McShane

Vendor (DGM Optics)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

When I owned my Fuji 25x150s, I bought a pair of nebular filters that fitted externally to the ep eye lens. I found that the reflections between my eye and the filter to be very distracting while viewing any field with bright objects.

IMO, that's what makes the BT binos much more user friendly with respect to filters....they are placed in front of the ep field lens (screwed into the front of the ep) and are internal and avoid the above problem.

The use of the 2 inch filter on the 50mm binocular objective also avoids that issue.

Greetings Mr Bill, how you doin`?

I intend to place them internally on the entrance lenses as a raw filters, or coated EP lenses, and am going to use the GCE`s which have much greater optical throughput, and inherently much less reflectance than narrowband filters, such as UHC type filters like the NPB.

Back in November I also built a pair of 82mm over-the-aperture filters (VHTs) for a pair of Kowa Highlanders. That option will also be on the table for bigger binos as well, however as you can imagine it`s a pricey option.

best regards,
Dan McShane

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics