CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Got to open my binoculars tonight and through some hazy and quasi-cloudy skies, here are my first impressions:

The build quality is very good in my limited experience. The rubber skin does have a little "sticky" feel to it. Not sure why, probably left over from the manufacturing process. Definately something I will need to keep away from Deet, which was the downfall of my previous set of binoculars.

My first surprise was how close I had to get the barrels to see a single circular field of view. I guess my pupils are just closer together than normal! I am quite pleased with this as with my Vista 7x50s, I never could get the inter-pupil distance close enough.

To my surprise, I have to have the eyecups all the way down to comfortably see the entire field of view (I do not wear glasses). I was not expecting this at all. Not a problem by any means, just very unexpected.

I love the focus lock. :)

How is the view? Sharp to my eyes! In fact, I can get the stars sharper in the main field of view than I can in my old Vistas. It does start to degrade a bit near the extreme edges, but you have to force yourself to see it. It is not something I will notice is normal usage.

The moon shows less false color than my Vistas, which surprised me as well. It's also spectacularly sharp.

So, let's see.....I got sharper binoculares with a smaller exit pupil and a good field of view that are not held together by electrical tape all for $149.20 shipped. I think I did good on this one. :)

I should have a clear, albeit very cold and moonlit night on Wednesday. I'll report back. I measured my limiting magnitude on a full moon night with my 7x50s to be 6.5. I wonder if I might be able to go a hair deeper on Wednesday. We'll see!

#2 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Kansas

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Congratulations! I would expect you will have lots of fun with them for many years. I have the Pentax 20x60 binocular and it's a good performer and appears well-built. The very narrow FOV make them rather specialized, unlike your 10 x 50s. I'm considering the Pentax 10 x 50s as a complement to the 20x60s so please give us your viewing impressions once you have more opportunities to use them.

Thanks

#3 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Michael...

I enjoyed your first impressions with your Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II. I also enjoyed looking at the sketches and images on your website. Thank you for sharing.

#4 Binojunky

Binojunky

Gemini

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Enjoy,DA.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics