• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dlapoint

dlapoint

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Moncton NB Canada

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

can u buy one of these mounts with motor drives but no go to?

#2 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Used non-goto models come up for sale here every now and again. One just sold for under $200. Don't think you can buy them new now.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Used non-goto models come up for sale here every now and again. One just sold for under $200. Don't think you can buy them new now.

The older mounts came standard with extruded aluminum legs and were quite shaky with a substantial scope on them. The stepper motor drives are also slow and quite unresponsive. The CG-5 Advanced Series was available without the GOTO but used the old stepper drives.

I sold my old CG-5 and replaced it with the GOTO version, not because I wanted the GOTO but rather because I wanted the solid tripod and the responsive drives. I use the GOTO mount in the ED North tracking mode, as desired, there is no GOTO. When I push the button to center the target or to slew the scope, something actually happens in a reasonable amount of time.

Jon

#4 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Kansas

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I just got one of these and I am still learning it. Notice the cost with goto is not much different than the Orion svp with drives (which you might consider)

Nevertheless - several times I've been playing with the mount and do not do the goto alignment. I think it still tracks at the selected rate and you can move the scope with the motors and paddle. In other words it seems to act like a non goto mount if you don't goto align.

Maybe some others on this forum with more experience with this mount can weigh in here.

#5 dlapoint

dlapoint

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Moncton NB Canada

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I have an eq5 mount now, but wanted sometning a little more stable with tracking. can you use the mount with the goto turned off?

#6 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I think Orion still sells their version of the CG5? the sky view pro, without goto ( in fact, regular drives are optional)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics