Photo

Moonlight Focuser vs. Feather Touch Focuser - 6SE

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BigNick

BigNick

Explorer 1

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

First, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all the great folks here on Cloudy Nights!

I have been thinking about upgrading the focuser on my 6SE and just started to research different options. This purchase will be down the road aways, so I'm just trying to learn about the options a bit. I had a Crayford 10:1 focuser on a small refractor I used to have and did like the fine tuning ability. The Moonlight and Feather Touch are similarly priced but work differently. I'm still trying to figure out if the Moonlight will even work on a 6SE. Kinda worried about this set-up and clearance issues with the base of the SE mount when it's on the scope. Perhaps the Feather Touch would be the way to go as it simply replaces the stock focuser. Anyone have any experience with these products on a 6SE? Thanks!

#2 BigNick

BigNick

Explorer 1

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Update... upon further review, it looks like the Moonlight focuser may not be compatible with a 6SE... only Celestron 8" and up SCTs. Guess that narrows it down!

#3 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Update... upon further review, it looks like the Moonlight focuser may not be compatible with a 6SE... only Celestron 8" and up SCTs. Guess that narrows it down!

BigNick - I haven't had my 6SE very long so I don't have any near future plans for another focuser. Your post did make me want to do a little research on focusers though :grin: If you change the stock one out for another I'd be interested in hearing how difficult the change was and how you like it compared to the stock one. Merry Christmas... Tony

#4 NorskeBob

NorskeBob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oswego, NY

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Purchased the Feathertouch SCT MicroFocuser - was improvement for me - fine adjust. It was easy to install.

I have found prices from $229 to 239 on the WEB.

Feathertouch SCT MicroFocuser - Celestron Edge HD 8/CPC-800/CGEM-800/NexStar 6SE & 8SE

#5 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Seems like alot of money to spend when you can get a motorized focuser for about $175. Just my $0.02.
You could probably fit a larger rubber washer or knob on the stock focuser to get fine focus adjustments.

James

#6 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Bob - Thanks for the information. I didn't know how hard it would be to install. Tony

#7 BigNick

BigNick

Explorer 1

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks all... I have been thinking hard about this purchase due to the cost. I think it would be an excellent accessory, just not sure that this should be my "next" accessory. I have been reading up on some "home-made" options that may get me by until I make up my mind to pull the trigger. I'll report on whichever option (or all options) I go with once I've made the decision. Thanks for all the comments and advice, it is appreciated.

#8 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

I have the feathertouch. It's OK but for its price has not dramatically altered my viewing (i have the nexstar 8SE). Yes its convenient for planets to get that little bit extra focus but i'll admit to getting just about the same degree of fine tuning when I previously used a clothes peg on the original focus knob. I had perhaps expected too much? I'm personally not keen on a motor focus as the version I used just added more electronics kit to find room for.

#9 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Just to add my newbie dos centavos...as I wait for these doggone clouds to clear out so my 6SE can see first light!

I would be hesitant to spend 200+ bucks on a somewhat dead-end accessory for a 700 dollar telescope. I don't know how many models that focuser fits, but if it's only the 6SE and 8SE I would think twice. It just seems to be a marginal enhancement for the investment.

Good luck with your decision, and I wish SOMEBODY would have clear skies!!!!

#10 gastargazer01

gastargazer01

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Flowery Branch GA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Purchased the Feathertouch SCT MicroFocuser - was improvement for me - fine adjust. It was easy to install.

Feathertouch SCT MicroFocuser - Celestron Edge HD 8/CPC-800/CGEM-800/NexStar 6SE & 8SE

Thanks for the review. I have had hand tremors all my life and sometimes have a tough time keeping food on the fork and getting it to my mouth :foreheadslap: so a focuser is a necessity for me. Now I will order this one for my scope shortly.

#11 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the review. I have had hand tremors all my life and sometimes have a tough time keeping food on the fork and getting it to my mouth :foreheadslap: so a focuser is a necessity for me. Now I will order this one for my scope shortly.

I'm sorry to hear of your hand tremors, but wouldn't a motor focuser be a better choice? Then you would not need to touch the scope at all. I don't have one but have heard good reviews from the fine folks on this forum.

James

#12 gastargazer01

gastargazer01

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'm sorry to hear of your hand tremors, but wouldn't a motor focuser be a better choice? Then you would not need to touch the scope at all. I don't have one but have heard good reviews from the fine folks on this forum.

James

Hey nothing to be sorry about. You didn't pick on me as a kid playing Operation did you. :)
What I am talking about replaces the focus knob and comes with a remote.
Here would be the one for my scope. Check out the photos

#13 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

"Hey nothing to be sorry about. You didn't pick on me as a kid playing Operation did you. :)
What I am talking about replaces the focus knob and comes with a remote."

Let's see where were you from 1966 to say 1974?

I did not see the remote you pointed out but if it comes with that focuser at that price then I'm interested too.

James

#14 gastargazer01

gastargazer01

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

1964 :cool:
Wow, you are right. On the link if you click the photos tab it shows the hand controller but it looks like they are just showing related products. Damn, $549 for the remote and control motor. I will be looking at other options. In the 90s I had one of the first Meade EXT-125s and purchased a hand controller focuser and think I paid no more than $200, but at $700+ I think I may have to hire someone to focus for me.

#15 gastargazer01

gastargazer01

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

James, thanks for making me take a closer look.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread but this is more along the lines of what I need.
JMI MOTOFOCUS for Celestron C11
JMI Link

#16 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Glad to help out Mike.

James

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics