42 replies to this topic

#1 txmnjim

txmnjim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

hello all,
i'm getting ready to purchase a pair of 10x70 binocs and notice the Orion and Celestron are priced similarly (affordable!). I see a lot of good word on the Celestrons but rarely see anything about the Orion binocs? Anyone have any experience or advise with the Orions? Thanks for any info ahead of time!
jim

#2 txmnjim

txmnjim

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

15X70 i mean :)

#3 planet-beaver

planet-beaver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Shohola, PA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Same bins made by same Chinese company with different names painted on. Make sure to buy from a place you can return them.

#4 Danny Lesandrini

Danny Lesandrini

Lift Off

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

I don't know about the Celestron 15x70 but i had a pair of 100mm Celestron binocs I liked. On the other hand, I recently bought the 15x70 Orion ones and I couldn't be more dissappointed. You can have mine for $10 and the price of shipping. Maybe it's just my old eyes need more eye relief, but I just can't enjoy them. Afraid to sell them for more than that for fear the buyer will be as dissatisfied as I was.
http://www.telescope...tronomy-Bino...

Danny

#5 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

Did you return them to Orion within 30 days of purchase for a refund?

Bill

#6 txmnjim

txmnjim

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

I don't know about the Celestron 15x70 but i had a pair of 100mm Celestron binocs I liked. On the other hand, I recently bought the 15x70 Orion ones and I couldn't be more dissappointed. You can have mine for $10 and the price of shipping. Maybe it's just my old eyes need more eye relief, but I just can't enjoy them. Afraid to sell them for more than that for fear the buyer will be as dissatisfied as I was.
http://www.telescope...tronomy-Bino...

Danny

they may need collimating? have you ever dropped them? pm me if your serious about selling them for 10.00 :)

#7 txmnjim

txmnjim

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

its amazing how much variation there is w/ these brands. i've heard good things about Orion in the past, and i've got an excellent pair of Celestron Pro 7X50's. I also used to own a great pair of Celestron Ultima's as well. Thanks for the info, i may just go w/ the Celestrons.

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

its amazing how much variation there is w/ these brands. i've heard good things about Orion in the past, and i've got an excellent pair of Celestron Pro 7X50's. I also used to own a great pair of Celestron Ultima's as well. Thanks for the info, i may just go w/ the Celestrons.

Celestron and Orion are not manufacturers of binoculars, they are vendors, they buy something from a manufacturer and sell it under their name. The fact that you like the Ultimas has little to do with the Skymaster 15x70s because the Ultimas were made in Japan and the Skymasters are of Chinese manufacture, completely different manufacturers.

As far as the 15 x 70s, these get mixed reviews. Their actual aperture is about 63mm, still plenty. It seems that if they are collimated, they provide quite reasonable views. But if you are used to Ultima type quality, you will probably be disappointed.

Jon

#9 txmnjim

txmnjim

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

ok, thanks for the info. i guess you really do get what you pay for :-(

#10 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

The Skymaster 15x70s have a reputation for poor collimation like no other binocualar discussed on this forum. They come up frequently because they are considered by many to be a great "bargain".

Despite their poor reputation, because there are so many bargain hunters out there, there are a number of owners who rave about them because they were either lucky or don't notice how bad they are due to lack of experience. Just be aware that there is a higher likelihood that you may have to return any of these very inexpensive binoculars once or twice before you get a "good" pair.

Buying from a vendor with a good return/refund policy is very important if you want to roll the dice and give them a try.

Rich

#11 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

That "lack of experience" has created more than one "great" binocular . . . where none really existed.

As for "You get what you paid for," well, it is rapidly giving way to "you get what you're willing to believe." With integrity so often out the window, the novice walks through a mine field of shuck and jive.

Cheers, :jump:

BillC

#12 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

The Skymaster depends on the model bought, the 15x70 can be picked up for as low as $50, however the 8x56 will cost three times that amount, both are from China though built to a higher spec: in the case of the 8x56.
As stated by others, you get what you pay for, a good pair of 10x50,s will give the owner far more long term satisfaction than a cheap 15x70, their are good cigars and nickel cigars but no good nickel cigars, DA.

#13 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

The Skymaster 15x70s have a reputation for poor collimation like no other binocualar discussed on this forum. They come up frequently because they are considered by many to be a great "bargain".

Despite their poor reputation, because there are so many bargain hunters out there, there are a number of owners who rave about them because they were either lucky or don't notice how bad they are due to lack of experience.

I don't agree with that description.

When they're in collimation, these really are an incredible bargain. That has nothing to do with inexperience; it's a simple fact.

They have surprisingly good optics and excellent ergonomics. You could easily spend four times as much and do worse.

Of course, when they're not collimated, they're worse than useless.

#14 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I believe BOTH posts are right on.

You said, "When they're in collimation, these really are an incredible bargain."

You also said, "Of course, when they're not collimated, they're worse than useless."

Well, if your ball lands on the RIGHT number on the roulette wheel, you could win . . . bigtime! Yet, how many slots are there on the wheel?

And if they are collimated ONE day, will they be collimated the next, after the slightest jar?

But, they are what they are. My brass Baywatch telescope came about because the one from Celestron was having major QC issues. And, with all of Alan Hale's pull, the Chinese told him to "take it or leave it." He left it.

BillC

#15 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Despite their poor reputation, because there are so many bargain hunters out there, there are a number of owners who rave about them because they were either lucky or don't notice how bad they are due to lack of experience.

I don't agree with that description.

When they're in collimation, these really are an incredible bargain. That has nothing to do with inexperience; it's a simple fact.

They have surprisingly good optics and excellent ergonomics. You could easily spend four times as much and do worse.

Of course, when they're not collimated, they're worse than useless.

You're talking about the lucky buyers I referred to, Tony.

Inexperienced users might tolerate eye strain while merging images and still think their binoculars are OK.

If they're way out of collimation, the user will see double whether they're experienced or not.

What's the disagreement? :question:

Rich

#16 Dwight J

Dwight J

Apollo

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

My first post to this forum. I own several bins from 9X63 to 25X100. I also bought the Celestron 15X70's at the same time a friend did from a different local vendor. My pair was well collimated and delivered ok views. My friend was not so lucky and got a pair that was way out and views of stars were double. I would opt for something else and pay a bit more for more consistent quality. You have to use a tripod anyway so go to 20X80's or to 9X63's for handheld. My Pentax roof prism 9X63's beat the pants off the Celestron 15x70's.

#17 rydberg

rydberg

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, KY, USA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Celestron's 15x70 = :like: :dislike: :like: :dislike: :gve: :flame: :question: :money: :vomit: :evillaugh: :x :whee: :banned: :grin:

#18 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

I remember the good old days when
I could walk into a dealers showroom
try out different optics before buying
return if problems and get results
I was happy dealer was happy

(I ordered an LX200 8" from Lymax in KC
went to pick up and owner checked-objective was fogged up,
so he took apart, cleaned, realigned, and sent home with me)

the good old days-not many showrooms left now

edj

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

My story:

I looked through a friends pair of 15x70 Skymasters and like Tony said, they were collimated and they were surprising good. A few years back I bought a pair of very similar Barskas and they were out of collimation and I returned them.

I thought long and hard about buying a pair of the Skymasters but decided I was too used to decent quality binoculars and I didn't want to have anything that I couldn't trust.

Jon

#20 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Post deleted by KWB

#21 stbehastx

stbehastx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hawai'i, Pale Blue Dot

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

I recently bought a pair of 15x70 Skymasters off Amazon, I figured if anything was out of whack they'd be easy enough to return. So far I'm very pleased with the quality of my binoculars.
I can't speak to overall quality of the manufacturing process because I only ordered one not in bulk (hundreds of pairs at least), which to me would seem to really be the best way to figure out the quality of the overall product. That is unless someone here has experience with the production line that Celestron uses for their Skymasters. They made it to my rock in the Pacific just fine without super premium shipping either...just my experience.

#22 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

" . . . with the production line that Celestron uses for their Skymasters."

Sadly so, but it's safe to say that Celestron makes EXACTLY as many binoculars each year as Swift, Bushnell, Tasco, Meade, Adlerblick, Jason, Simmons, Leupold, Vortex, Burris, and all the other American importers . . . NONE!

Thus, more important than the name on the sides or backplates, is the customer service of the importer.

Just a thought.

BillC

#23 stbehastx

stbehastx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hawai'i, Pale Blue Dot

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

That's what I was implying sorry for any confusion. I was merely trying to say that because I (and I'm assuming many others) buy only a relatively small number of binoculars when compared with the production annually of whomever actually makes them; It is tough to tell exactly what the overall production quality is from such a small sample size. My advice still remains to buy from somewhere with a more liberal return policy that way you may return them if they fall short of your expectations, it's worked for me thus far...again just my experiance

#24 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Bingo!

BillC

#25 txmnjim

txmnjim

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

i decided to start saving my money for a pair of Fuji's :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics